Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UAE gratuity and international job transfer

UAE gratuity and international job transfer

Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

flymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really nice
Default UAE gratuity and international job transfer

Hi all,

I've scoured the forum with a fine-tooth comb (well as fine as I could get it) and I saw that this question had not been answered.

After nearly 4 years in the UAE. I'm transferring with the same company (a US multi-national) to the US. A colleague of mine claimed, and thus the nerves, that as it is a transfer and I am not actually ending service, that I would not be entitled to an end-of-service gratuity.

Is he correct?

Naveed
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE gratuity and international job transfer

Originally Posted by flymickeyfly
Hi all,

I've scoured the forum with a fine-tooth comb (well as fine as I could get it) and I saw that this question had not been answered.

After nearly 4 years in the UAE. I'm transferring with the same company (a US multi-national) to the US. A colleague of mine claimed, and thus the nerves, that as it is a transfer and I am not actually ending service, that I would not be entitled to an end-of-service gratuity.

Is he correct?

Naveed
what does your contract say?

You are leaving the UAE and handing in your labour card and not passing go. You should collect it, in my view.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:27 am
Just Joined

flymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really niceflymickeyfly is just really nice

Simply states "ESG will be paid in accordance with UAE Labour Law"
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
what does your contract say?

You are leaving the UAE and handing in your labour card and not passing go. You should collect it, in my view.
Agreed.

My company pays it when people transfer out of UAE to another country - same company but new contract of employment with the new company in the new country (btw my company is also a US Multi-national).
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mogs
Agreed.

My company pays it when people transfer out of UAE to another country - same company but new contract of employment with the new company in the new country (btw my company is also a US Multi-national).
Definitely.

Only ever heard of ESB's in the Middle East. Seriously doubt you will have an ESB clause in your new contract with the US division.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Of course your Employers should pay. You are leaving the UAE after all.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backinthesand
Definitely.

Only ever heard of ESB's in the Middle East. Seriously doubt you will have an ESB clause in your new contract with the US division.
yep its an middle east thing, in lieu of pension etc.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:06 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just ask them and/or a lawyer?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:16 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flymickeyfly
Hi all,

Is he correct?

Naveed

Your UAE employment will be ending so you are entitled to the full End of Service Gratuity in accordance with the UAE Labour Law. Whilst you may be technically with the same company your UAE emplyment contract will end.

Your colleage is wrong.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:17 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

You should get gratuity unless specifically mentioned in your contract (a colleague just moved to a big multi-national here and his contract states no gratuity upon leaving).
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
You should get gratuity unless specifically mentioned in your contract (a colleague just moved to a big multi-national here and his contract states no gratuity upon leaving).
That's only legal if there is some kind of alternative arrangement, such as a savings plan or pension scheme,
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
That's only legal if there is some kind of alternative arrangement, such as a savings plan or pension scheme,
yes when hubs moved jobs, his eosb was reduced due to pension contributions etc.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

When is the ESB paid? I know this sounds like an awfully stupid question, but is it paid on termination of the contract, i.e. on your last working day, or before? My question is borne out of wondering if/when this can be used, for instance, to transfer belongings back to home country, etc.
Old May 2nd 2013, 9:40 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
This is a huge Japanese company, he took a big pay increase but waivered the EOSB. No pension or savings plan.

They have been in UAE for a long time, I'm sure it is all legal.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:18 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by MrBAH
When is the ESB paid? I know this sounds like an awfully stupid question, but is it paid on termination of the contract, i.e. on your last working day, or before? My question is borne out of wondering if/when this can be used, for instance, to transfer belongings back to home country, etc.
It should be paid with your final salary payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.