Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UAE End of Contract Service Benefit

UAE End of Contract Service Benefit

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE End of Contract Service Benefit

Originally Posted by mentalist
I obviously haven't made myself very clear. I know you get 21 days pay. What I was querying is how you calculate the daily amount payable. If it's indeed 21/365.25 then fair enough, but we don't work 365.25 days a year...do we?
you made it clear. you just don't like the answer we are giving. It's 21/365
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not everyone gets 21 days a year. You need to be at the workplace for five years to get the 21 days. That's what the labour law states.

Your company may be more generous than what the labour law allows. At my first job I received seven days a year as I left only 18 months into the position. Second company gave me 14 days and acknowledged they did so out of generosity.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Not everyone gets 21 days a year. You need to be at the workplace for five years to get the 21 days. That's what the labour law states.

Your company may be more generous than what the labour law allows. At my first job I received seven days a year as I left only 18 months into the position. Second company gave me 14 days and acknowledged they did so out of generosity.
Wrong. 21 days a year for up to five years service (after a full year completed). 30 days thereafter.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 9:45 am
Account Closed

The first company had scans of the labour law which they showed me. It was specific.

You get 7 days for years 1-2, 14 days for years 3-4 and 21 days if you've served five full years.

If the company makes you redundant they must give you 21 days per year regardless of how long you've been there.

But if you leave by choice it's prorated based on the years of service.

Neither companies were the kind of companies that would have stiffed me. First was a British owned locally based company. Second was the local office a multi national. Both, especially the latter, had very competent HR departments.

Very informative link:

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/gratuity-calculation-dubai.php

Looks like there's also a difference if you're on an indefinite contract versus a fixed-term contract.
Originally Posted by Meow
Wrong. 21 days a year for up to five years service (after a full year completed). 30 days thereafter.

Last edited by Ethos83; Mar 22nd 2012 at 9:48 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:04 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

People ought to read actual labour law before commenting, especially if their sole experience is their own one.

Last edited by Meow; Mar 22nd 2012 at 12:31 pm. Reason: typos
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:21 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

People ought to read actual labour law before commenting, especially is their sole experience is their own one.
Now is not the time to be clogging up this forum with factual posts
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

one thing I just learned ( and I keep the labour law on my desk ) was that I could reduce someone's gratuity if they leave of their own accord in the early years
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:25 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Sandboy
one thing I just learned ( and I keep the labour law on my desk ) was that I could reduce someone's gratuity if they leave of their own accord in the early years
In the first five years, yes.

Of course, there is newspaper column that covers these issues on a regular basis...
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

if you resign - 1/3 within the the first 3 years hence your 7 days - 2/3 in years 4+5

we pay everyone 21 days after a year but nowt if we sack them and not even a flight home if they are utter &$£"
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

In the first five years, yes.

Of course, there is newspaper column that covers these issues on a regular basis...
that Ali bloke gets on my tits though
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:37 pm
Bored liberal

that Ali bloke gets on my tits though
He's a fool. Just read the important stuff online
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

He's a fool. Just read the important stuff online
should I tell HMRC in advance I'm coming back or just wait til I land ?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 12:53 pm
Bored liberal

should I tell HMRC in advance I'm coming back or just wait til I land ?
Doesn't really matter. They'll be keen to get another taxpayer though.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

Thank you.

That's what I've been saying all along, but no, everyone had to go and listen to Madame Meow.

It's up to you to be as generous as you wish beyond the basic required by the labour law.

if you resign - 1/3 within the the first 3 years hence your 7 days - 2/3 in years 4+5

we pay everyone 21 days after a year but nowt if we sack them and not even a flight home if they are utter &$£"
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:30 pm
Bored liberal

Thank you.

That's what I've been saying all along, but no, everyone had to go and listen to Madame Meow.

It's up to you to be as generous as you wish beyond the basic required by the labour law.
That's because what I say is correct and based on knowledge of labour law, not just your sole experience. You may have been paid a reduced gratuity, but you never said anything about the circumstances of your departure (& frankly we all thought you'd been sacked anyway) so a partial story is of no use to anyone.

Why don't you stick to your usual ramblings of why The Greens is the greatest place on earth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.