Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Travelling for Interview in Riyahd

Travelling for Interview in Riyahd

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Big_Mick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling for Interview in Riyahd

Originally Posted by 057025
Big Mike, can you tell us please which profession you are in now?
Have i got you thinking !!!! Its nothing exiting that is for sure, im simply a Mechanical Engineer. But if a company wants you bad enough they will give you the package you want. I been here 9 weeks now, already been home once in this time, and will be going back again soon.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Big_Mick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
EIGHT return flights???? That takes the cake for the best flights deal I've ever heard in this region - now tell me they are business class.......
Hi 'THE DEAN'
Believe it or not my initial flight to come out here was booked as business class, however my return flights are to be Economy ( however I have sufficient air miles to upgrade all my flights for the next year anyway ). I have been out here in Riyadh for almost 9 weeks now, and I actually like the place - slightly too hot, but not complaining. Medical out here was an experience I will never forget, ive seen nothing like it.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Big_Mick
Hi 'THE DEAN'
Believe it or not my initial flight to come out here was booked as business class, however my return flights are to be Economy ( however I have sufficient air miles to upgrade all my flights for the next year anyway ). I have been out here in Riyadh for almost 9 weeks now, and I actually like the place - slightly too hot, but not complaining. Medical out here was an experience I will never forget, ive seen nothing like it.
Ditto on the medical, the Dr asked me which country am I from, I said Australia, he said ok, you've passed.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Ditto on the medical, the Dr asked me which country am I from, I said Australia, he said ok, you've passed.
Did the previous post mean something similar?

If there were an emoticon for "sags in relief", I would use it right now!

This is my first post here, but just to say - I've been offered a job in Riyadh starting in October, subject to passing a medical and stuff. When I speak to the company, all they say is "it's fine, of course you'll pass, never known anyone fail" and so on.

It all sounds so glib and I've interpreted it to mean "I'm about to go on holiday, I am on holiday, it's Ramadan so I'm in a f***en bad mood so p1$$ off till I'm allowed a fag but don't call after sunset 'cos I've a party to go to, etc" whilst at the same same time doing my head in that I'll go through all the upheaval of leaving the UK only to get there and find that I fail the medical because I don't smoke enough to fit in, have evidence of bacon consumption in my urine, don't have the correct god-gene and so on.

So, thank you for putting my mind at rest.

All I have to worry about now is whether becoming Australian is worth it...

Hi!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tieresias,

That is typical customer service, HR responce Im afraid- you'll get used to it!

Medical involves aids test, Hepititus check, TB xray, they ask you if your pregnant and thats about it. Think they check your pee for something or other, theres probably a thread on here somewhere but unless youve lived life wrecklessly you should be fine!

Dont think they do a pork/bacon check- and I'd avoid oinking through passport control- however I do know of someone who packed pork sausages in their suitcase- did NOT go down well on entry to Saudi!

Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

tieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to alltieresias is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi Tieresias,

That is typical customer service, HR responce Im afraid- you'll get used to it!

Medical involves aids test, Hepititus check, TB xray, they ask you if your pregnant and thats about it. Think they check your pee for something or other, theres probably a thread on here somewhere but unless youve lived life wrecklessly you should be fine!

Dont think they do a pork/bacon check- and I'd avoid oinking through passport control- however I do know of someone who packed pork sausages in their suitcase- did NOT go down well on entry to Saudi!

Thanks KitCat,

I'll do my best to get pregnant between now and then. That should confuse them!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

do it!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Further investigations reveal that the medical I'm supposed to pass before leaving the UK requires this report:

http://www.mofa.gov.sa/media/Picture%20018.jpg

LFT=Liver Function Tests. Oh dear...

It's ironic that while we have moved on to the term Sexually Transmitted Diseases, the Holy Kingdom continues to talk about them by reference to a pagan goddess...