Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Transferring visa to a new employer in the UAE (Dubai)

Transferring visa to a new employer in the UAE (Dubai)

Old Jun 17th 2020, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Cobia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring visa to a new employer in the UAE (Dubai)

Dear All
I am in the field of education and have worked in my current position for over 10 years. I gave plenty of notice to quit and have all my ducks in line re: leaving the company, with my gratuity correctly calculated. I have no loans/liabilities or mortgages. I had another job lined up, but with Covid-19, that opportunity and others have completely dried up.
My wife has been working on my visa for several years, and we would like to stay, and for me to try and find work when employment options open up after the post-Covid 19 job market freeze. We have checked out me taking out a trade licence and freelancing, thereby sponsoring my wife and children, but the costs are high. We are now looking at options for me transferring my visa to a friend's company, but he's not sure of the procedure as he is basically a one-man band. Done a Google search but it's not particularly clear.
Does anyone know the up-to-date-rules on transferring a visa to a new company, and sponsoring the family, or can point me in the right direction?
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring visa to a new employer in the UAE (Dubai)

Depends on the freezing innit
Old Jun 18th 2020, 5:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If your wife is working, can't she be sponsored by the company and you go on her visa?
Old Jun 18th 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response Scamp, good answer.
However, my wife already tried that 2 months ago, but her company rejected it.... a money saver for them, and a reflection on the new reality here.
I've been out of the job market here in Dubai for a long time, with a steady employer of over 10 years. When I arrived, accommodation was provided, along with flights, education allowance, health insurance, and of course visas. So I'm really out of the loop with the current reality.
That "expat package" has now disappeared for most.
I'm not on Plan B, but on Plan F, plans B to E having failed, including job offers that evaporated due to Covid-19.
Tough times!
Old Jun 20th 2020, 5:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Cobia
Thanks for the response Scamp, good answer.
However, my wife already tried that 2 months ago, but her company rejected it.... a money saver for them, and a reflection on the new reality here.
I've been out of the job market here in Dubai for a long time, with a steady employer of over 10 years. When I arrived, accommodation was provided, along with flights, education allowance, health insurance, and of course visas. So I'm really out of the loop with the current reality.
That "expat package" has now disappeared for most.
I'm not on Plan B, but on Plan F, plans B to E having failed, including job offers that evaporated due to Covid-19.
Tough times!
What if you offer to pay for it?
Her company sponsor her, they pay for it, she sponsors you - you pay for it?
Maybe a compromise?
Not many fluffy packages like that anymore, just all in cash lumps.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the suggestion Scamp, she's asked the company she freelances with, but got nowhere. The friend's company is possible, but there are complications with WPS etc. I think the easiest thing for me to do is get a trade licence which will allow me to freelance, and try to pick up some work. That would allow me to sponsor my wife and children. We'll give it a go till Q1 2021, and if nothing seems to be happening here work-wise, we'll up sticks and head back home.
Old Jun 20th 2020, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the suggestion Scamp, she's asked the company she freelances with, but got nowhere. The friend's company is possible, but there are complications with WPS etc. I think the easiest thing for me to do is get a trade licence which will allow me to freelance, and try to pick up some work. That would allow me to sponsor my wife and children. We'll give it a go till Q1 2021, and if nothing seems to be happening here work-wise, we'll up sticks and head back home.
Remember the UAE welcomes everyone even if they come with nothing, and it ensures that everyone leaves with nothing if they overstay their welcome.

Im potentially in your position in about 6-9mths. I won’t be a statistic.

Old Jun 21st 2020, 5:17 am
Account Closed

Millhouse makes a good point.

However, could be offset if your wife is still earning and doing well?

If things go tits up for me in the next 9 days, we'll probably ride summer out and see what's happening because she's doing well and making big steps at work....as an example.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Scamp
If things go tits up for me in the next 9 days, we'll probably ride summer out and see what's happening because she's doing well and making big steps at work....as an example.
Good luck, Scamp. I wish you the very best.

Old Jun 21st 2020, 8:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Good luck, Scamp. I wish you the very best.
Cheers bud. Will know more this week and have a better idea what's going on in general. If positive I'll be set for a while I think, if negative then I'm going to be chilling out for a while.
Old Jun 21st 2020, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Yes, thanks Scamp, the costs of the trade licence etc could be offset by the Mrs earning. She's freelancing in the oil and gas sector. It's a bit rocky at the moment--the Grim Reaper has gone through that sector a couple of times already in the past few years--but hopefully she can hang on till I find something.
I'll post details of the route we take as I'm sure this will help other forum members. Sorry to hear you're likely to be in the same boat...I think there's a lot of people out there who've found the tide has gone out.
I'm bullish that I'll find something and think Dubai will bounce back, best of luck!
Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Yes, thanks Scamp, the costs of the trade licence etc could be offset by the Mrs earning. She's freelancing in the oil and gas sector. It's a bit rocky at the moment--the Grim Reaper has gone through that sector a couple of times already in the past few years--but hopefully she can hang on till I find something.
I'll post details of the route we take as I'm sure this will help other forum members. Sorry to hear you're likely to be in the same boat...I think there's a lot of people out there who've found the tide has gone out.
I'm bullish that I'll find something and think Dubai will bounce back, best of luck!
Very best of luck to you.

There are a lot of teaching (you said 'field of education' so this might not be relevant but anyway...) contracts being recinded or cancelled and I think whilst competition for positions will be high, there'll be a lot who aren't in your position to stay on a bit and find something. Fingers crossed there's gaps left that have been overlooked and opportunity presents itself.

Remember to network the shit out of your contacts.
Old Jun 22nd 2020, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Scamp, and I agree.

I've been in the Gulf for 21 years so have seen a few bumps in the road!
With the Mrs working, we can ride this Covid-19 mess out for a while.

Education, food and utilities are typically recession-proof, so hopefully there’ll be something out there when things get back to “normal”.

I’m sorting out a free zone visa as we speak, and things are looking good!
Best of luck to you too!