Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Trailing spouse needs job in UAE with no qualifications

Trailing spouse needs job in UAE with no qualifications

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Hypat1a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailing spouse needs job in UAE with no qualifications

I have been offered a job in the UAE. Should I accept, my husband would come with me but would need to find work. He currently runs his own business doing groundworks in the construction industry. Whilst, smart, successful and with an excellent reputation, he has no qualifications. I know the UAE well and understand that there is no shortage of cheap labour in construction and that managerial positions demand degrees. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated. He is very entrepreneurial and says he'll find 'something' but I'm not so sure. For example, could he go freelance running the same type of business?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice
Default Re: Trailing spouse needs job in UAE with no qualifications

There's no requirement for managerial positions to have degrees. Most companies ask for it, but in my experience, if they like you, they'll hire you even if you don't have one. That's not applicable to all professions of course, but in construction industry it should be fine.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Gavtek, experience is more important than degrees, perhaps our resident construction recruitment consultant could comment?
Old Feb 4th 2019, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

I recruit for oil and gas and my colleague does construction ( 15 years now) the job market there is flat and not much about at all. It has been that way for a while and doesnt seem like it is picking up.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Hypat1a is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gavtek View Post
There's no requirement for managerial positions to have degrees. Most companies ask for it, but in my experience, if they like you, they'll hire you even if you don't have one. That's not applicable to all professions of course, but in construction industry it should be fine.
Thanks that is good to know.