British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Thoughts on an offer in Doha please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/thoughts-offer-doha-please-835092/)

NathanM101 May 28th 2014 7:56 pm

Thoughts on an offer in Doha please

Hi guys, I have already posted this in the is it worth it thread, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there, so thought I'd try here as well.

I have a couple of questions about an offer I have received for Doha.

I am a single, 25 year old guy. The job is an electrical engineer, in the general construction sector.

The offer looks good to me; QAR 30,000 pm (10,000 is accommodation) plus QAR 2,000 car allowance, health insurance, 6% pension and QAR 6,000 per year towards flights home.

Firstly, what sort of accommodation will I be realistically looking at for 10K? And which areas should I be looking at? The job is in Wadi Al Sail.

Secondly, should I be negotiating to get more than 1 flight home?

Are there any obvious pitfalls I need to be looking out for with the above package?

What am I realistically looking at for QAR 2,000 pm for a car?

Thanks

Nate

co durham boy May 29th 2014 9:01 am

Re: Thoughts on an offer in Doha please

Originally Posted by NathanM101 (Post 11279445)
Hi guys, I have already posted this in the is it worth it thread, but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there, so thought I'd try here as well.

I have a couple of questions about an offer I have received for Doha.

I am a single, 25 year old guy. The job is an electrical engineer, in the general construction sector.

The offer looks good to me; QAR 30,000 pm (10,000 is accommodation) plus QAR 2,000 car allowance, health insurance, 6% pension and QAR 6,000 per year towards flights home.

Firstly, what sort of accommodation will I be realistically looking at for 10K? And which areas should I be looking at? The job is in Wadi Al Sail.

Secondly, should I be negotiating to get more than 1 flight home?

Are there any obvious pitfalls I need to be looking out for with the above package?

What am I realistically looking at for QAR 2,000 pm for a car?

Thanks

Nate

It's a decent deal for a young guy at 25 but obviously relative to your current situation back home .

1 Flight per year is standard terms , 2000 is a basic pitch for the car and the living allowance will get you a decent apartment in Al Saad or you might fancy a villa share with someone else , pitch in and you'll get a decent place .

Don't worry too much about location , you're going to have to travel wherever you pitch up .

One piece of advice , benefits are usually set in stone and are difficult to negotiate , if you want to negotiate try an uplift on your basic but all in all i reckon it's a canny deal .

Good Luck

NathanM101 May 29th 2014 10:57 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11280166)
It's a decent deal for a young guy at 25 but obviously relative to your current situation back home .

1 Flight per year is standard terms , 2000 is a basic pitch for the car and the living allowance will get you a decent apartment in Al Saad or you might fancy a villa share with someone else , pitch in and you'll get a decent place .

Don't worry too much about location , you're going to have to travel wherever you pitch up .

One piece of advice , benefits are usually set in stone and are difficult to negotiate , if you want to negotiate try an uplift on your basic but all in all i reckon it's a canny deal .

Good Luck

:goodpost: Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. The offer does look rather good, and all adds up nicely in the is it worth it spreadsheet.

Debowing Jun 9th 2014 6:05 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11280166)

Good Luck

In a similar offer I got 3,000 QAR transportation allowance, this means that I would need to buy/lease a car right?

co durham boy Jun 9th 2014 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Debowing (Post 11294157)
In a similar offer I got 3,000 QAR transportation allowance, this means that I would need to buy/lease a car right?

Yes mate , better off buying if you're here long term as well.

Debowing Jun 9th 2014 6:22 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11294162)
Yes mate , better off buying if you're here long term as well.

I just need to verify that when they give you transportation allowance, it means putting in your own wheels, buying or renting...

co durham boy Jun 9th 2014 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Debowing (Post 11294164)
I just need to verify that when they give you transportation allowance, it means putting in your own wheels, buying or renting...

You get the cash and you do what you wish with it , buy , rent or long term lease , there's various good deals around but it depends on how long you're going to be here .

Id rent for a while then gauge what you really need not what you want , there's a big difference and a lot of cash in it !!

Britexpat will point you in the right direction as he's in the game here .

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 9th 2014 7:11 am

I'd suggest not to worry too much about what the value of the allowances might be. 10k housing and 2k car are roughly par for the course at the level you're talking.

If you spend 3k on a car and 11k on housing to make sure you have nice versions of both, it's not the end of the world. If you can spend 8k on housing and 3k on car, you're even better off...if you get my drift.

30k + 2k car + 500 flight + medical is pretty good. Just to make it even easier for you:

32,500 QAR = ~65,000 GBP. To earn that you'd have to be paid £99,756 in the UK.

Yes, it's not that simple, but it doesn't sound like I need to go into great detail for you as you've clearly done some research. The easiest comparison you can do (which is probably more helpful than the above) is:

Current UK take home (per month)
- Housing cost
- Car / Travel card cost
= 'basic'

Qatar offer 32,500
- 10k housing (let's keep it nice and round)
- 3k car (get something decent)
- 500 flight (this might just get you 2x per year, but let's say it gets 1)
= 19,000 remaining ('basic') for bills, food, beer, whores etc.
(= ~£3,166)

Now, I'm no expert, but I reckon your 'basic' after housing and travel in the UK isn't over 3k GBP....

expathopeful Jun 10th 2014 1:04 pm

[QUOTE=Scamp;11294201]Qatar offer 32,500
(= ~£3,166)

You never told me about the whores when you gave me advice a year ago........ I blame you for my financial ruin....

NathanM101 Jun 10th 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!

Well I have accepted the offer, now have a few months in the UK, then out to Doha!

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 11th 2014 3:30 am

[QUOTE=expathopeful;11296163]

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11294201)
Qatar offer 32,500
(= ~£3,166)

You never told me about the whores when you gave me advice a year ago........ I blame you for my financial ruin....

You gotta budget for slap and tickle my friend!

Debowing Jun 14th 2014 7:02 pm

what in Doha? Who would have thought that?