Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are there IT contracts in the Gulf?

Are there IT contracts in the Gulf?

Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Qu1zMaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there IT contracts in the Gulf?

Hi, this is my first post.
I am from Ireland, but I'm hoping I'll still be welcome on a British ex-pats site!
I am a software developer with 15 years' experience.
I want to find out if there are IT contracts anywhere in the Gulf. I have heard mixed things about it. Some say there is always work, some say the party's over and programmers from India and Egypt are doing the work for a fraction of the cost.
That may be true, but there must still be a need for westerners somewhere? I can train too.

Another thing is family. We have 2 girls, aged 6 and 5. The 6yo has mild special needs. She attends a regular school but has an assistant. This might be taken away from us as Ireland is going down the tubes and everything is being cut. At a pinch she could do without. She's a smart kid but completely scatty and prone to OTT behaviour.
I heard Qatar is good for families.
If I could get something that lets me bring over the family and have a reasonable life for a few years, and save a little every month, that would be a dream come true. But maybe it's too much to ask.
If I have to do it on my own, then needs must.

All comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there IT contracts in the Gulf?

Welcome to BE and good luck!

no idea about your questions though, but have a browse around past threads and the wiki for some starters
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

dryroasted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there IT contracts in the Gulf?

Originally Posted by Qu1zMaster
Hi, this is my first post.
I am from Ireland, but I'm hoping I'll still be welcome on a British ex-pats site!
I am a software developer with 15 years' experience.
I want to find out if there are IT contracts anywhere in the Gulf. I have heard mixed things about it. Some say there is always work, some say the party's over and programmers from India and Egypt are doing the work for a fraction of the cost.
That may be true, but there must still be a need for westerners somewhere? I can train too.

Another thing is family. We have 2 girls, aged 6 and 5. The 6yo has mild special needs. She attends a regular school but has an assistant. This might be taken away from us as Ireland is going down the tubes and everything is being cut. At a pinch she could do without. She's a smart kid but completely scatty and prone to OTT behaviour.
I heard Qatar is good for families.
If I could get something that lets me bring over the family and have a reasonable life for a few years, and save a little every month, that would be a dream come true. But maybe it's too much to ask.
If I have to do it on my own, then needs must.

All comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent.
Vincent,

There's tons of IT contracts but there's also tons of IT contractors, best bet is to go on the wiki there's a ruck of employment firms on there and also do your research on google and linkedin and approach people softly and look for guidance. If you haven't got a linkedin profile go get one and spend time nurturing it. Your digital footprint and persona is hugely important when marketing yourself as a consultant or contractor. If I was looking for an IT contract I would be going to London or Canada not the gulf.

All my IT techy buddies go to square.co.uk and rate them highly.

after that the only thing i can suggest is go out there cold if its the gulf you really have your heart set on, taking a chance can work but it can also backfire....keep in touch