British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   "Technician" Visa for Saudi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/technician-visa-saudi-855323/)

spotter Mar 26th 2015 9:24 pm

"Technician" Visa for Saudi

Hi,

I have recently accepted a job offer for Saudi Arabia and I am in the process of getting my work visa. I'm an engineer and my job in SA will be similar to that I'm leaving in the UK. Speaking to the HR dept. of my new employers about the visa process, they say that they will be initially applying for a "helicopter technician visa for you, but don't worry we can change it later to engineer after you arrive. You need to register with the Saudi Engineering Council which is a long process etc..."

Personally I don't care if I have "camel fluffer" even as my visa job title, provided it doesn't affect my ability to:
Enter/Leave the country,
Bring the wife over,
Negotiate a better package after my current contract comes to an end.

The HR guy says my qualifications need to be submitted as part of the visa application process, but I am a little worried that a "technician" with a degree in engineering might look odd and hence be knocked back. Also, would a "technician" work visa make it more likely/easier for my employer to terminate my contract, due to e.g. visa quota reasons?

This is my 1st post and 1st time attempting expat employment, so any thoughts from fellow engineers who know about the differences between "technician" vs. "engineer" job titles in SA or have gone through similar would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

spotter

scot47 Mar 27th 2015 4:12 pm

Re: "Technician" Visa for Saudi

I think this is connected with Saudi-isation and the Quota System. Job title will have little affect on you at this level. Start to worry when they have you listed as"shepherd", "driver" or "domestic servant".

King Cobra Mar 27th 2015 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by spotter (Post 11603714)
The HR guy says my qualifications need to be submitted as part of the visa application process, but I am a little worried that a "technician" with a degree in engineering might look odd and hence be knocked back. Also, would a "technician" work visa make it more likely/easier for my employer to terminate my contract, due to e.g. visa quota reasons?

You need to check with the HR department if "technician visa" allows you to bring your wife?
Also, I have heard that with "technician visa" you might find it difficult to change to another employer.

DubInRiyadh Mar 31st 2015 8:49 am

Having a different job title on your visa to your actual work is illegal is KSA and people are being deported for this reason every week. I would check this with your HR before you commit to anything.