Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Teaching English UAE need advice

Teaching English UAE need advice

Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

ElsieAnas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching English UAE need advice

Hello
I'm a 48 year old British female with only a part OU degree in English plus TESOL, 2 years in class and 4 years private in Portugal experience. I only want a 6 month contract in UAE ? Do I have a hope in Valhalla given lack of degree? Did search but no joy.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 1:37 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching English UAE need advice

Originally Posted by ElsieAnas
Hello
I'm a 48 year old British female with only a part OU degree in English plus TESOL, 2 years in class and 4 years private in Portugal experience. I only want a 6 month contract in UAE ? Do I have a hope in Valhalla given lack of degree? Did search but no joy.
I think a degree is a must, unfortunately.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Graduates only unless you want to do something with Berlitz or the like. Not sure that you will get a work permit with no degree.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your replies. This saves me a lot of footwork . Just checked out Berlitz web site and looks possible but anyone have any idea of likely salary?

Last edited by ElsieAnas; Jan 6th 2013 at 4:02 pm. Reason: add on
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

I think this is covering Berlitz ESL jobs:

http://www.eslemployment.com/uae-pos...s-35206593.htm

Vacancies Number of Vacancies Job requirement
English Teachers 70 1.Minimum Qualification Bachelor related to the vacancy.
2.Minimum 5 years teaching experience(high school & Diploma level)
3.All teachers should be Native Speakers and based in UK and US.
Not sure about the 5 years experience part, but they are asking for a minimum BA (assume English language/Linguistics, or Education)

There are contact details, you could follow the breadcrumbs.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Hmm well I think that's me out but many thanks for your time and help.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:45 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Hmm well I think that's me out but many thanks for your time and help.
i don't have a degree and worked a lot in UAE, for me experience was the key.

Wasn't in education mind you, why dont you ask the question?
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

thank you Kix but if these guys don't think I can even get a work permit? And education is their field. It's also got to be financially viable. Can't do pie in sky
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

If you look on DavesESLCafe you'll see the requirements for the Gulf are a lot higher than a lot of places. You may want to look at earning money elsewhere and finishing that OU degree if you wish to enter the Gulf at some point, which may or may not be accepted by employers (online degrees aren't, but I'm not sure where OU sits)

Also, teacher requirements are going up many places, so you have to protect the next 18 years or so of your working life before retirement (and may still work past then). Since the work is likely to go downhill from 2020 onwards and we'll not be needed by 2050, we need to plan carefully. Backpack teaching, in whatever form, is something fro the young 'uns to take risks on, or those looking for work to tide themselves over in times of recession.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Yep I'm beginning to get the picture. I fall into the latter category, having a small holding and husband in Portugal to maintain - you can guess how my teaching has fared there! All useful stuff so thankyou so much.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:06 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

OU is not an online degree but a 'real' one :-) If I were an employer I would weigh an OU degree higher than a 'normal' one because earning an OU degree is much more onerous as an adult than when you're a loafing about thumb up bum getting pissed and drugged up every night student.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Ah - will be careful where I put my thumb whilst studying from now on. OU asks you quote BA (OU) when declaring your degree, so morally you may be right, but professionally it could be otherwise? Moot point as I don't have it.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:46 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

OU asks you quote BA (OU) when declaring your degree, so morally you may be right, but professionally it could be otherwise?
In my experience employers do understand how much more difficult and how much more effort is required when doing OU and running a home & bringing home a wage. IMHO it's a badge of honour. But I might be a little prejudiced as I did OU and was an OUSA rep.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello
I'm a 48 year old British female with only a part OU degree in English plus TESOL..........given lack of degree? Did search but no joy.
She has said she has not completed her degree. All guesswork as to acceptance of said degree by employers is a conversation for the future.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikewot
OU is not an online degree but a 'real' one :-) If I were an employer I would weigh an OU degree higher than a 'normal' one because earning an OU degree is much more onerous as an adult than when you're a loafing about thumb up bum getting pissed and drugged up every night student.
Very true Mike (I am also an OU graduate) BUT you are forgetting that in this part of the world, unless your HR happens to be British they won't know what the OU is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.