Teachers: Holiday Pay?

Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

tedpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teachers: Holiday Pay?

I've just received my contract for my first post in an international school and have what may seem like a daft question: do teachers get paid over the summer/Christmas break?

My contract states that I will be entitled to paid annual leave after one year of service, to be taken during the school holidays. The wording of that clause has confused me as it seems as though I won't get any pay over the holidays?

The school is in Doha and is regarded as a fairly good school; I know that sometimes makes a difference when it comes to conditions etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:20 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teachers: Holiday Pay?

well if you're on more than year's contract what it means is you cannot leave the country until you have completed one year of service, and generally over the 10-12 week summer holiday period. after that you'll be able to take leave during other holiday breaks, but not during term time.

your school should not be a school that serves mostly local kids if you want a relatively peaceful time. saying that expat brats are bad as well....
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

So I will not be allowed to travel home over Christmas? That seems a bit rubbish!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:39 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

diddums - it's the norm here. they want you to stay a year, because they have flown you all the way out, sorted out expensive visas, paid for accommodation and do not want you to abscond half way through a school year. this is Doha we are talking about. they will let you out of the country when they decide you can leave. if you don't realise this *before* you arrive, then you will have a big shock.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Please don't 'diddums' me; I have done my research and I am well aware of the requirements to leave the country while under employment. I was not looking for condescension, I was merely looking for advice as I was confused by the wording of my contract. So thank you very much for your input but please don't think of me as someone who doesn't have a clue, I am reading up on the way of life as much as I can!

Last edited by tedpop; Apr 1st 2014 at 5:26 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tedpop
I've just received my contract for my first post in an international school and have what may seem like a daft question: do teachers get paid over the summer/Christmas break?

My contract states that I will be entitled to paid annual leave after one year of service, to be taken during the school holidays. The wording of that clause has confused me as it seems as though I won't get any pay over the holidays?

The school is in Doha and is regarded as a fairly good school; I know that sometimes makes a difference when it comes to conditions etc.

yes usually well the one that i know in auh does.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

My mrs gets paid holidays at Xmas, Easter, Summer. They don't really have 'half-terms' but an extra day or two off normally, so not a holiday really.

She went home the first Xmas after moving in August.

She gets her flight allowance around now, for the summer.

She gets paid at the end of June (?) for the whole summer (apparently there is nobody here to process salaries whilst it's summer hols).

All of this is semi-relevant, it's in Dubai not Doha but I wouldn't want to work for a firm that didn't let me take holiday for the first year, that's bullshit and stupid.

Just ask them these questions to get confirmation, that way you know 1005 what you're getting into.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:43 pm
womble

Please don't 'diddums' me; I have done my research and I am well aware of the requirements to leave the country while under employment. I was not looking for condescension, I was merely looking for advice as I was confused by the wording of my contract. So thank you very much for your input but please don't think of me as someone who doesn't have a clue, I am reading up on the way of life as much as I can!
fine. don't whine that something is rubbish then just because you don't like the explanation. have fun in Doha.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

I'd hardly say I was whining, I was just stating what most people would probably deem a fact: that not being allowed out of the country for Christmas is a bit rubbish! If that was the way it had to be then certainly I'd grin and bear it and not whine, so thanks for the suggestion. Anyway, I've emailed HR to ask them to clarify.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of jobs you cannot take leave straight away, you have a probation period or the contract doesnt allow leave etc... but being employed as a teacher in a school you should be fine.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

They don't do Christmas in the ME weather you think it 'a bit rubbish' or not.
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:53 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
has to be snowing does it?
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

bodieanddoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
No, but international schools do have Christmas time holidays...

OP, I work at school (local hire though) - I get paid for x amount of hours a week, monthly, every month of the year. I think you need to get things clarified with your school. Not letting you out of the country during school holidays does seem a bit harsh, but it could be true. Nothing would surprise me in the ME. Which nationality of school is it?
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

ah, the three reasons to be a teacher:

Christmas, Easter, Summer

or is it, no responsibility, no accountability and no liability. I forget
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
ah, the three reasons to be a teacher:
Best put your nomex flameproof suit on! and you missed the other half,
Those that can do.
Those that can't, teach.
Those that can't teach, examine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.