Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:50 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Structural Engineer Salary for Expat in Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Almost all of the companies (esp. the non Saudi ones) will transfer the money to an outside account.
I have a different experience with non-Saudi companies.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 8:51 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

it makes sense in that he must return to his home country to renew the visa, which will take 2-3 weeks each time. so the 90 days plus this time for holiday visa renewal, gets close to 3 flights per year with a slight overlap into the next year.
Correct.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
I have a different experience with non-Saudi companies.
I am surprised by that, the companies I know who were doing it were ESEC, Oger, SBG, Al Rajhi, Al Fanar and CCC. My crowd used to transfer it to an offshore account, it had to run through a clearing bank in New York I think so it wasn't transferred directly.
Anyhow I am sure the guy will be able to work it out.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 7:49 am
Just Joined

internationalcanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this certainly has become an indepth discussion of the ins and outs of working overseas. I'm Canadian, and working in Australia, so it was a pretty easy move, luckily, and at least I have the same working rights as locals here.

I'll be talking with my company more on Tuesday and get to the specifics of what is going on.

I am surprised by that, the companies I know who were doing it were ESEC, Oger, SBG, Al Rajhi, Al Fanar and CCC. My crowd used to transfer it to an offshore account, it had to run through a clearing bank in New York I think so it wasn't transferred directly.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:44 pm
Banned

For the company I work for this was an issue of compliance. Another guy with another multinational was in a similar position. I believe if you worked under another sponsorship this may be less of an issue as they can possibly justify the payment as external.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:50 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

it makes sense in that he must return to his home country to renew the visa, which will take 2-3 weeks each time. so the 90 days plus this time for holiday visa renewal, gets close to 3 flights per year with a slight overlap into the next year.
i assume you have worked in ksa ?
Yes, but with family and about 8 years ago, and "feather bed" package - i.e. it all got sorted out by the company before we arrived. So, no, I don't everything, or much at all, about bachelor status, I was simply querying.

Last edited by OriginalSunshine; Apr 9th 2012 at 3:09 pm. Reason: added further clarification in case some tetchy so & so jumps down my throat about anything they care to misinterpret
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:36 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Yes, but with family and about 8 years ago, and "feather bed" package - i.e. it all got sorted out by the company before we arrived. So, no, I don't everything, or much at all, about bachelor status, I was simply querying.

Your answers, comments etc differed a lot from my experience so I was curious to know what angle you were coming from.
I like to know the ins and outs of things there, and if they change because we constantly have people back and forth to KSA so its good to have any kind of heads up.
Tetchy? Don't be so defensive its the internet nobody really gives a **** !
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Hey everyone, finally got the details of the contract:
- 21,000 SAR basic salary per month
- 14,000 SAR for accomodation, transportation, air ticket (& other allowances)
- 30 calendar days annual leave (includes weekends and public holidays)
- company provides medical and disability insurance

Thoughts? Advice?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:20 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by internationalcanuck
30 calendar days annual leave (includes weekends and public holidays)

that's awful - 4 weeks per year, and they take public holidays out of it as well? so, I guess you go on holiday when it is Eid al Adha, Eid al Fitr and the other 15 -25 public holidays per year then?!
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:28 pm
Banned

Thoughts? Advice?
Are you sure 30 days leave is including weekend and public holidays? Normally it is 30 working days and public hols are on top.

In terms of package that is 35kSAR p.m or 420kSAR per year. That is $110k. Whether that is ok for your experience / position, I have no idea but does not sound like much. I personally would not accept anything below $150k and even that only if I had no other option.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 4:42 am
Just Joined

I also spoke with a tax consultant today, and they said that since I would not be having a Saudi residency permit, or a saudi bank account, that I would be liable to pay Australian income tax on my salary there. :-(
This is not a good deal.

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Are you sure 30 days leave is including weekend and public holidays? Normally it is 30 working days and public hols are on top.

In terms of package that is 35kSAR p.m or 420kSAR per year. That is $110k. Whether that is ok for your experience / position, I have no idea but does not sound like much. I personally would not accept anything below $150k and even that only if I had no other option.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:04 pm
Knee deep and rising

Thoughts? Advice?
not worth it imo. however should you try negotiate check the prices of the houses your friends are in and see what that takes from your allowance. holidays are terrible as you are going to wind up staying in ksa for shorter breaks as it wont be long enough to go home.

if you have to pay tax, then forget it. there is only one reason to work there and thats money. don't lose sight of that if your own job is secure at home.
also define the working hours so you get paid for overtime.

as an aside most of the resident engineer types are usually other arabs in my experience, so perhaps you have reached the premium ceiling for this role as a westerner. the only advantage is you are already a company employee

edit to say get the package amalgated into one number, not broken down. so then your end of service gratuity will be based on the total figure not the basic

Last edited by weasel decentral; Apr 13th 2012 at 2:09 pm.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Got clarification, there would be 30 calender days of annual leave PLUS public holidays...
Old May 8th 2012, 5:54 am
Just Joined

I've gone back to them with a higher offer with the reason being:
- basic salary they offered is about the equivalent of the net salary after taxes here in Australia.
- Housing/transportation isn't a benefit, but a compensation for the fact that a non-muslim/foreigner cannot purchase property, and only has the option to rent. Public transit/walking to work or around town isn't a feasible option. This is compensation for not having the ammenities of a normal city.

So I do agree with the couple of people that said the offer as it stands isn't worth it, especially including the fact that it's a 26% longer workweek.

Sucks when you're own company tries to pull a fast one on you.