Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

structural engineer pay package in dubai good or bad? and renting questions

structural engineer pay package in dubai good or bad? and renting questions

Old Feb 16th 2016, 10:34 am
Just Joined

am777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default structural engineer pay package in dubai good or bad? and renting questions

Hi Guys,

I have been offered a job in Dubai starting in April as a structural engineer. My total package is 22,000 AED including a accommodation allowances and other allowances. I am wondering if this is a reasonable deal in terms of pay in Dubai. It is a considerable increase in what I am earning here in the UK but obviously cost of living might differ. The company is based in the Dubai investment park and I am looking to live in the Marina area and commute from there. This leads me to a question regarding renting a place in Dubai. It seems like most places require an upfront check from the tenant. I clearly can't afford this so is this something standard and do companies offer the option where they will pay your accommodation allowance in one go and deduct this from your monthly salary? I also here that you need to be present in Dubai for 6 months before you can get a bank loan. I have been promised 6 weeks of company accommodation till I find a place. All the help would be great. thanks
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: structural engineer pay package in dubai good or bad? and renting questions

1. How many years' experience do you have?

2. What company is it? A proper western multinational or a local outfit owned Mohammed Al Jabber Al Naboofuttaim and Sons?

Strictly speaking, 22K isn't bad if you're content with a Marina flatshare. You can probably buy a small 4x4. You'll have a decent social life and still be able to save money at the end of each month.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Default Re: structural engineer pay package in dubai good or bad? and renting questions

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

2. What company is it? A proper western multinational or a local outfit owned Mohammed Al Jabber Al Naboofuttaim and Sons?

Strictly speaking, 22K isn't bad if you're content with a Marina flatshare. You can probably buy a small 4x4. You'll have a decent social life and still be able to save money at the end of each month.
I have 3 years experience of which 2 years is as a graduate. Its a company called premier composites. I felt it was pretty attractive when I received the offer as its substantially better than what I get here in the UK. I am thinking of getting a single studio flat for 60k a year. How much is it usually for utilities etc in dubai and groceries for a single person? I can't imagine it to be more than London.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the company but go to LinkedIn and look up employees at the company. The more westerners you find the better it is. Terribly racist to say this but there's a reason for saying it.

Utilities (Dewa): 5% annual housing tax + actual usage. Single person in a 60k property can probably expect around 350/400 a month in total dewa. Internet/tv package: another 400 month for a very basic package.

To rent the property you pay 5% agent fee plus 5% deposit. Another 2,000 for Dewa deposit. It all adds up.

May I suggest (as you seem young) that you consider flatsharing for a year. Lots of flatshares in the Marina. Many/most people your age will be flatsharing. The advantages are: 1) cheaper, 2) you're not tied into a lease so that if the job doesn't work out (and you'd be surprised how often this is the case) you can leave the UAE quickly if needed, 3) it allows you to avoid taking out a loan (NEVER TAKE OUT A LOAN except car loans) and 4) good way to meet other people.

After you've been in Dubai for a year and have a firm understanding of the city and what's feasible and job security, then get your own place. That's what I did when I first came out here.

Originally Posted by am777
I have 3 years experience of which 2 years is as a graduate. Its a company called premier composites. I felt it was pretty attractive when I received the offer as its substantially better than what I get here in the UK. I am thinking of getting a single studio flat for 60k a year. How much is it usually for utilities etc in dubai and groceries for a single person? I can't imagine it to be more than London.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:25 am
Just Joined

I don't know the company but go to LinkedIn and look up employees at the company. The more westerners you find the better it is. Terribly racist to say this but there's a reason for saying it.

Utilities (Dewa): 5% annual housing tax + actual usage. Single person in a 60k property can probably expect around 350/400 a month in total dewa. Internet/tv package: another 400 month for a very basic package.

To rent the property you pay 5% agent fee plus 5% deposit. Another 2,000 for Dewa deposit. It all adds up.

May I suggest (as you seem young) that you consider flatsharing for a year. Lots of flatshares in the Marina. Many/most people your age will be flatsharing. The advantages are: 1) cheaper, 2) you're not tied into a lease so that if the job doesn't work out (and you'd be surprised how often this is the case) you can leave the UAE quickly if needed, 3) it allows you to avoid taking out a loan (NEVER TAKE OUT A LOAN except car loans) and 4) good way to meet other people.

After you've been in Dubai for a year and have a firm understanding of the city and what's feasible and job security, then get your own place. That's what I did when I first came out here.
Ok thanks I will have a look into that. Is there any website where this sort of thing is advertised you can recommend me to? I have not got a british licence so how much will it cost me to get my licence in Dubai? I assume 8k on the low end and then a car loan will be 4k per month minimum? Thanks for all your help
Old Feb 17th 2016, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You do realise that the local ones you're implying are some of the most successful and also have large Western management teams yeah ?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Mate, you've been in the Gulf long enough to know there are local companies and then there are local companies. And even worse are Indian companies in the UAE.

Some are great places. Others are most definitely not. Some local companies try to improve their game by recruiting westerners as part of a plan to modernise the company, which never pans out and the wholly different work culture leads to a disastrous employment. I've seen too many people go this route and it never ended well.

Which is why I said what I did: search the company on LinkedIn. See a bunch of UK/Australians etc working for it, odds are it's probably fine. If the staff is all Indian/Arabic, be careful. Even if the company is solid on ground it still means a different corporate culture that can be difficult to integrate into.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
You do realise that the local ones you're implying are some of the most successful and also have large Western management teams yeah ?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

For 60k/year in the Marina you will need to flatshare, unless rents come down if/when there's a crash. Sharing is a better option though if you're young, I reckon. I did it through my 20s and early 30s and was rarely sober.