Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Some Advice, Any Advice, Reflections appreciated

Some Advice, Any Advice, Reflections appreciated

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:49 am
Eh?

RDP80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Some Advice, Any Advice, Reflections appreciated

Originally Posted by Mogs
I think some of your start up costs are on the low side - white goods and furnishings total only AED 12,000 - depends on what you are taking with you from the UK (have you considered the cost of shipping in your offer ?). e.g. A Dyson costs approx AED 2,000 here. A crappy Ikea sofa costs about AED 2,500 (AED 7,500 for a 3 seater from Pottery Barn for example).

You said your employer paid schooling - so why do you need to pay for the first term schooling or the registration ? They should be your employer's costs and definitely a point to argue with them.

FYI, When I came out a few years ago, relocation allowance I was given of USD 15,000 wasn't enough for a family of 4

Also, family entertainment of only 1,000 per month will not get you much for a family of four (AED 300 - 400 for a meal at TGI's for example). AED 35 for a pint adds up aswell.

Clothes - e.g. Next Dubai prices = UK price converted at 7 then add another 20% - so your clothing budget may be low depending on how many clothes you intend buying.

After school activities you have missed - I would estimate AED 500/term/child.

Social activities can be expensive here too. e.g a round of golf costs approx AED 500 - 800.

Dental bills - make sure they are covered in your medical policy.

Holidays ?
Yes, schooling is an issue. They pay some schooling so not all of it. I've adjusted this to be more accurate though.

There is a relocation allowance but this does not cover the total cost of relocation either.

Some of the one off costs I have (for furnishings and white goods) are based on second hand prices from dubizzle. I may up these in any case though with some contingency.

Dental is not included. Medical aid will still cost me an extra 400AED per month for the family.

What's the cost of a dental checkup / filling over there?

Thanks for your input
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Few medical insurance policies include dental, unless very comprehensive and decent cover is expensive, but you do get what you pay for.

I'll be replying to your PM later today.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a middle class family with two kids to have a comfortable middle class lifestyle in Dubai, the overall value of your package should be about 500,000 AED a year, inclusive of housing, schooling, transportation, airfare and health insurance.

Cut a few corners and you might trim it down to the low 400Ks by sacrificing on the quality of the villa and location and choosing cheaper schools, but beyond that it's not worth it.

Your car expense is way too low.

Cheapest car rentals will be 2,000 a month, so x 2 = 4,000 monthly or 48,000 a year. 250 AED week for petrol = 12,000 a year.

A 3-year loan with 30% down on a 100K mid-range 4x4 or sedan works out to about 2250 AED a month. 4,000 a year for insurance on a brand new car. Min of 100 a week for petrol. And that's for one car. If you live in a villa you will need two cars.

But let's assume you have cash on hand to buy two used cars outright for about 50,000 each, you're still looking at 5,000 a year to insure both plus 12,000 a year for petrol (not factoring in salik).

Is the housing allowance a use it or lose it sum? If it's handed to you in one cheque for you to use however you wish, try to find a cheaper villa either in Al Barsha or Mirdiff, where you can get a 3-bed compound villa for under 100K, and bank the rest (or use it to make up for the missing school fees).

As it stands, your package is winging it. I doubt you will save money at the end of the day but you can survive on it. Tell the wife to find a job and that'll make things easier. Still, ask yourself, are you happy with your current job? Are the kids in good schools? Do you like your neighbourhood? Do you save a decent amount at the end of each month? If the answer is yes to all of them, then forget this Dubai offer. There are three reasons to come to Dubai.

1. Make and save money.
2. Make and save money.
3. Make and save money.

If you can't do it, it's not worth it.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RDP80
Yes, schooling is an issue. They pay some schooling so not all of it. I've adjusted this to be more accurate though.

There is a relocation allowance but this does not cover the total cost of relocation either.

Some of the one off costs I have (for furnishings and white goods) are based on second hand prices from dubizzle. I may up these in any case though with some contingency.

Dental is not included. Medical aid will still cost me an extra 400AED per month for the family.

What's the cost of a dental checkup / filling over there?

Thanks for your input
I beleive regular dental treatment (check-ups/fillings/etc) is approx same as private dentist cost in UK. I have heard cosmetic dentistry (e.g. veneers is cheaper in Dubai compared to UK).

I think your employer is trying to get you out here on the cheap (too cheap if you ask me)....be careful before agreeing to an offer you may not be able to live on, as getting in debt here is definitely not what you want to do.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
For a middle class family with two kids to have a comfortable middle class lifestyle in Dubai, the overall value of your package should be about 500,000 AED a year, inclusive of housing, schooling, transportation, airfare and health insurance.
That is not enough. It needs to be nearer 600,000 AED a year if you are talking all in.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That is not enough. It needs to be nearer 600,000 AED a year if you are talking all in.
500,000 would be enough if you're prepared to stay in the Greens.
Old May 19th 2011, 6:02 pm
Eh?

RDP80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mogs
500,000 would be enough if you're prepared to stay in the Greens.
Its about 560K all together. I move to hell in July. I grew up in the tropics but I doubt home-home is anything like this place.

What's the Greens like? I went past on my look-see, but didn't view anything as it was too short notice.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RDP80
Its about 560K all together. I move to hell in July. I grew up in the tropics but I doubt home-home is anything like this place.

What's the Greens like? I went past on my look-see, but didn't view anything as it was too short notice.
I've never lived in the greens, but they are all apartments (1,2 or 3 bed I think). Buildings are mainly low rise (only about 4 or 5 floors) with a few high-rise towers round the outside of the complex. I believe the apartment sizes are reasonably big compared to a lot of other (newer) areas

There are shops and grassy areas and pathways. Traffic getting into and out of looked horrendous a few years back when I lived nearby, but may have improved now as some of the access roads are now finished.

Ethos will give you a glowing recommendation of the Greens as being the utopian nirvana of Dubai. Many others will disagree with him though.

There are so many different areas with pros and cons for each - you really need to visit them and see what is best for you and your family.

Most people stay in a hotel apartment for a few weeks when they arrive and then go look and find somewhere that suits them in terms of schools, work, etc.