Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

Old May 17th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

MAQ82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
It's not enough to live on a salary to support 4 adults, 1-2 kids, 1 maid, house, pool, high end SUV, top school, pay off debts and have some savings left over. BE76 has it right - for that lifestyle you need around 40k basic plus housing and schooling on top.
Then lets say is it enough for 2 adults, 1 kid, 1 maid, 3 bedroom flat, a toyota camry, no school fees, pay off debts and have a little saving?
Old May 19th 2013, 1:14 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
40K a month is not enough to live on? really? I reckon the majority of people on this board manage on a lot less.
And he earns 85k in the UK, why would he move to Dubai to be worse off?
Old May 19th 2013, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
And he earns 85k in the UK, why would he move to Dubai to be worse off?
Seems that the alure of Dubai has bypassed any common sense.
Dubai, although it sometimes looks western can rapidly return to its middle eastern primative state for things that seem trivial and and can turn terminal.
Old May 19th 2013, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're desperate to come to Dubai then you can live decently enough on 40K but it comes down to how you utilise your options.

Live in a compound villa in Mirdiff, you'll be able to afford the Range Rover.

Spend the extra 50K on a villa in Arabian Ranches, you'll have to make do with a Pajero.

3-beds in the Marina will probably cost you at least 150,000 AED/year.

Do you need the maid if the wife isn't working? A weekly cleaning crew at 4 hrs/week will probably cost you 500-600 AED/month rather than the 2,000 monthly salary for a maid.
Old May 19th 2013, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
If you're desperate to come to Dubai then you can live decently enough on 40K but it comes down to how you utilise your options.

Live in a compound villa in Mirdiff, you'll be able to afford the Range Rover.

Spend the extra 50K on a villa in Arabian Ranches, you'll have to make do with a Pajero.

3-beds in the Marina will probably cost you at least 150,000 AED/year.

Do you need the maid if the wife isn't working? A weekly cleaning crew at 4 hrs/week will probably cost you 500-600 AED/month rather than the 2,000 monthly salary for a maid.
That's not living the dream though is it, Sunshine?
Old May 19th 2013, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The dream?

I'm living the dream. A cramped and overpriced London flat, an Audi A3 with more dings than ever due to the stupid cyclists all over London, and weekends in sunny Norfolk.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That's not living the dream though is it, Sunshine?
Old May 20th 2013, 4:10 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAQ82
Really!!! Double the base.

But, I have heard this is a good package for a Big-4 senior manager in Dubai, unless the Big-4 in UAE pay really low.

So I guess no Range rover or Q7. I will have to suffice with a Camry or Accord at best.
If its a top 4 consultancy I assume it is one of the accounting firms. If it is your "all in package" won't be any more than you are currently on. If its not then it is also likely to be a global player as it is a "top tier firm". These organisations have global pay scales (as you should know) and they don't budge on them otherwise the Partners profit shares are lower - which isn't going to happen. The tax free element is the only real benefit other than relocation.
Old May 20th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

40k a month is a good package. There are some of us on this board who even with two salaries are not on much more - even paying their own school fees & housing!

It depends what your outlook is. If you plan to come out and live in a big villa with garden & blow your money on a glitzy car, then yes you will struggle.

Start off sensibly, in a small villa or an apartment, get decent 2nd hand cars, live modestly and without falling into the 'we simply must brunch every weekend' trap, and you'll do just fine, and manage to save too.

There are a lot of free/cheap things to do in Dubai, loads of cheap eateries in Satwa/Karama/Bur Dubai - it doesn't have to be about the bling/brunch/fancy car type of thing.

Good luck!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

BountyMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MAQ82, I'm in a similar situation as u..have you finally moved to Dubai and if so how do you find the reality vs what was discussed here....Curious to know...
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

bodieanddoyle is an unknown quantity at this point

40k is ok.... But if you were on £85k in the UK, you're not really gaining anything - don't be all Dick Whittington about it. Everything in the ME that glitters is only gold plated. No sane Brit would come out here thinking it'll be a better lifestyle.... You should view it as short term, quick savings gain, get debt/mortgage free and go back to the UK. Then get a similar job on a similar salary and what you earn is pocket money if you have no debt or mortgage to pay. Seriously, the ME is a shit hole and not to be considered for long term. Use the opportunity as a relatively short term project to make your life in the UK better.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not many winners come to the Middle East. They may think they are winners but most of us chose the Middle East to escape from something. The 21st century equivalent of the French Foreign Legion ! Vive la Legion !
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Not many winners come to the Middle East. They may think they are winners but most of us chose the Middle East to escape from something. The 21st century equivalent of the French Foreign Legion ! Vive la Legion !
Speak for yourself... you loser!!!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:14 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
yup - escaping the UK, crap weather, crap salaries, crappy propaganda newspapers (daily mail eg) and crappy politicians who are every bit as corrupt as ME "politicians" it's just less obvious
Old Oct 19th 2013, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you win the rat race, you are still a rat.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 5:54 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Speak for yourself... you loser!!!
To be a good loser is to learn how to win. - Carl Sandburg

It is your response to winning and losing that makes you a winner or a loser. - Harry Sheeny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.