British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Should I take this salary package in Dubai??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/should-i-take-salary-package-dubai-797018/)

MAQ82 May 14th 2013 3:25 pm

Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

Hi,

First of all apologies for creating a new thread on a topic that has been answered many times before, however I have gone through all of them and could not get all the details I wanted, so I am creating a new thread and I hope you can forgive me for that :)

To give you guys a bit of a background, I work for a top IT consulting firm here in the UK as a Senior Manager and earn around £85K a year. I have a wife (doesn't work these days) and a 18 month daughter and I support my parents as well, who visit from time to time. Active social life and keen cricketer and golfer. I don't save anything in the UK but live an OK life. Really tired of the weather and life here in UK and looking for a change and a new learning experience, both on personal and professional level.

Now, I have been offered a similar role in Dubai for a large international consulting firm. The package they are offering me is as follows:
-Basic: 28000 AED p/m
-Housing: 12000 AED p/m
-Bonus: Discretionary, based on performance
-Full Medical for Family
-30 Days holidays
-Life insurance
-Annual return fare for my family - economy class
-Education: 75% - once my daughter is 4

On top they are offering the following relocation benefits:
- One way economy fare for my family
- four weeks hotel accommodation
- $3000 relocation allowance

I want to lead an OK life in Dubai as well, nothing too extravagant.
- a three bedroom flat/house in a goodish area (I will work on Sheik Zayed road, when not travelling)
- a 4x4 jeep - (Range rover or Q7 - I like my cars)
- a full time maid/nanny for my daughter
- Don't drink much so no worries there but would like to continue cricket and golf socially
- eating out once a week or so.
- My parent may want to come live with us for 6 months a year.
- I also have some commitments in the UK for about £800 which I can get rid of yet

Now based on all this, I have the following questions:
1. Does this package and move make sense financially, given the life I want and also want to be able to save a little?
2. If it does make sense, what do you think will be the major expenses
3. Where should I look to live in a budget of Approx £150k pa. Areas I know are Umm Suqeim, Marina, JBR, Palm
4. What should I do for a car? rent or lease or buy brand new, and the associated cost for each option e.g. for a Audi Q7 or Range rover sport.

I will be really grateful to you guys if you can please provide your honest opinion and answers. I am really confused about this decision and need some help. Please let me know if I have missed any key bit of information.

Looking forward to your replies!!!:fingerscrossed:

MAQ82 May 14th 2013 3:42 pm

Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

Hi,

First of all apologies for creating a new thread on a topic that has been answered many times before, however I have gone through all of them and could not get all the details I wanted, so I am creating a new thread and I hope you can forgive me for that :)

To give you guys a bit of a background, I work for a top IT consulting firm here in the UK as a Senior Manager and earn around £85K a year. I have a wife (doesn't work these days) and a 18 month daughter and I support my parents as well, who visit from time to time. Active social life and keen cricketer and golfer. I don't save anything in the UK but live an OK life. Really tired of the weather and life here in UK and looking for a change and a new learning experience, both on personal and professional level.

Now, I have been offered a similar role in Dubai for a large international consulting firm. The package they are offering me is as follows:
-Basic: 28000 AED p/m
-Housing: 12000 AED p/m
-Bonus: Discretionary, based on performance
-Full Medical for Family
-30 Days holidays
-Life insurance
-Annual return fare for my family - economy class
-Education: 75% - once my daughter is 4

On top they are offering the following relocation benefits:
- One way economy fare for my family
- four weeks hotel accommodation
- $3000 relocation allowance

I want to lead an OK life in Dubai as well, nothing too extravagant.
- a three bedroom flat/house in a goodish area (I will work on Sheik Zayed road, when not travelling)
- a 4x4 jeep - (Range rover or Q7 - I like my cars)
- a full time maid/nanny for my daughter
- Don't drink much so no worries there but would like to continue cricket and golf socially
- eating out once a week or so.
- My parent may want to come live with us for 6 months a year.
- I also have some commitments in the UK for about £800 which I can get rid of yet

Now based on all this, I have the following questions:
1. Does this package and move make sense financially, given the life I want and also want to be able to save a little?
2. If it does make sense, what do you think will be the major expenses
3. Where should I look to live in a budget of Approx £150k pa. Areas I know are Umm Suqeim, Marina, JBR, Palm
4. What should I do for a car? rent or lease or buy brand new, and the associated cost for each option e.g. for a Audi Q7 or Range rover sport.

I will be really grateful to you guys if you can please provide your honest opinion and answers. I am really confused about this decision and need some help. Please let me know if I have missed any key bit of information.

Looking forward to your replies!!!:fingerscrossed:

OriginalSunshine May 14th 2013 4:24 pm

Re: Should I take this salary package in Dubai???

I'd push for 100% once your daughter turns 4.

Housing is on "ok" side, but a little cheap.

Basic appears low, considering the lifestyle you want to lead supporting potentially 5 adults (you two, housemaid, parents) and 1 child, but at the same time is ok (a bit low prob) for your experience/salary level in the UK.

Range Rover or Q7 would cost you a year's salary, so are you paying up front or getting a loan to pay that?

In all honesty, with the lifestyle you are describing, I'd say you need to earn double that basic to match your expectations.

OleJanx May 14th 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 10707786)
I'd push for 100% once your daughter turns 4.

Housing is on "ok" side, but a little cheap.

Basic appears low, considering the lifestyle you want to lead supporting potentially 5 adults (you two, housemaid, parents) and 1 child, but at the same time is ok (a bit low prob) for your experience/salary level in the UK.

Range Rover or Q7 would cost you a year's salary, so are you paying up front or getting a loan to pay that?

In all honesty, with the lifestyle you are describing, I'd say you need to earn double that basic to match your expectations.

Exactly. Q7 expectations on a Mondeo salary.

MAQ82 May 14th 2013 4:41 pm

Wow, OK I guess then my expectations are way out of line!!!

40K AED is not going to get me much.

What should I be pushing for then? Not sure what a similar Senior Manager role will get in a top tier consultancy in Dubai. Looking at glassdoor the figure is thereabouts.

They offered me a package of £35K in the start and I said no. They then came back with £40K saying final offer!!!.

Regarding the car - I will be selling mine here in the UK and using that as a deposit and finance the rest. Is that better or am I better of renting or leasing?

britexpat76 May 14th 2013 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MAQ82 (Post 10707815)
Wow, OK I guess then my expectations are way out of line!!!

40K AED is not going to get me much.

What should I be pushing for then? Not sure what a similar Senior Manager role will get in a top tier consultancy in Dubai. Looking at glassdoor the figure is thereabouts.

They offered me a package of £35K in the start and I said no. They then came back with £40K saying final offer!!!.

Regarding the car - I will be selling mine here in the UK and using that as a deposit and finance the rest. Is that better or am I better of renting or leasing?

Something does not add up. £40k is not AED28,000pm ?

Also they expect you to go from 85k a year to 40k??

MAQ82 May 14th 2013 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10707948)
Something does not add up. £40k is not AED28,000pm ?

Also they expect you to go from 85k a year to 40k??

Sorry wrong currency :embarrassed_smile:

I meant 35K AED to 40KAED

that's the total package basic + housing

britexpat76 May 14th 2013 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by MAQ82 (Post 10707956)
Sorry wrong currency :embarrassed_smile:

I meant 35K AED to 40KAED

that's the total package basic + housing

So is the package AED 40,000 + AED 12,000 housing? As you have written it different above.

MAQ82 May 14th 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10707958)
So is the package AED 40,000 + AED 12,000 housing? As you have written it different above.

No - Total package = 40K AED (Basic (28K) + Housing (12K))

britexpat76 May 14th 2013 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by MAQ82 (Post 10708013)
No - Total package = 40K AED (Basic (28K) + Housing (12K))

Thats a pay cut mate. You want to be 40 + housing to make the figures work. My mate is a senior IT consultant earning similar to you in the UK and he is getting double what they have offered you to be out here.

MAQ82 May 15th 2013 9:22 am

Really!!! Double the base.

But, I have heard this is a good package for a Big-4 senior manager in Dubai, unless the Big-4 in UAE pay really low.

So I guess no Range rover or Q7. I will have to suffice with a Camry or Accord at best.

britexpat76 May 15th 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by MAQ82 (Post 10708735)
Really!!! Double the base.

But, I have heard this is a good package for a Big-4 senior manager in Dubai, unless the Big-4 in UAE pay really low.

So I guess no Range rover or Q7. I will have to suffice with a Camry or Accord at best.

His is 3 x your base but an all in deal. 28,000AED is £5k a month, you must nett somewhere close to that in the UK. Here you will have no pension, expensive schools (Even if you are paying 25%) and still have to send the £800 home.

They need to pay your UK salary tax free to make it worthwhile IMHO, thats about AED40,000 + School + housing

TopNik May 15th 2013 1:05 pm

Yes I agree.

Assuming your wife will not work still and the lifestyle you are after AED 40k per month is not enough.

Blue Cat May 17th 2013 10:20 am

40K a month is not enough to live on? really? I reckon the majority of people on this board manage on a lot less.

OriginalSunshine May 17th 2013 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10712180)
40K a month is not enough to live on? really? I reckon the majority of people on this board manage on a lot less.

It's not enough to live on a salary to support 4 adults, 1-2 kids, 1 maid, house, pool, high end SUV, top school, pay off debts and have some savings left over. BE76 has it right - for that lifestyle you need around 40k basic plus housing and schooling on top.