British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Should employer cover this cost? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/should-employer-cover-cost-592517/)

amir431974 Feb 19th 2009 9:54 am

Should employer cover this cost?

Hi all,

My employer in Dubai informs me that they will pay for medical insurance for me, but not cover the cost for my dependents?

Is this the norm or should they be covering the full cost for me and my family?

Thanks.

Poitin Feb 19th 2009 10:03 am

Re: Should employer cover this cost?

Its up to you to negotiate your package - is he paying for their flights/schooling/visa?
He responsible/obliged to cover his employees medical cover legally at the moment. But your family will need medical cover to live here.

Hope this helps somewhat.

amir431974 Feb 19th 2009 10:38 am

Yes, they are paying for flights and visas, not schooling though.

So you are saying that, legally, he is covered by only covering me and he is not obliged to cover my family on medical insurance?

Thanks.

lionheart Feb 19th 2009 11:42 am

Originally Posted by amir431974 (Post 7301193)
So you are saying that, legally, he is covered by only covering me and he is not obliged to cover my family on medical insurance?

Thanks.

You are correct. He is only employing you, not your dependants.

busybee2 Feb 19th 2009 3:24 pm

yes technically they are only employing you and so only pay for you, if they are giving you flights and visas (as that can amount to quite abit) u are doing ok

amir431974 Feb 19th 2009 6:43 pm

OK, thanks for all your help. I just wanted to know if I was being 'done over' or not!

Cheers.

commander Feb 20th 2009 1:48 am

Sorry, maybe I'm in cukoo land but if my employer was happy that my family were here, through work and were not prepared to ensure they were medically covered, I'd be judging the ethics of my company.

It gives an insight to their standards

Blue Cat Feb 20th 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7303371)
Sorry, maybe I'm in cukoo land but if my employer was happy that my family were here, through work and were not prepared to ensure they were medically covered, I'd be judging the ethics of my company.

I agree with you 100%

outtatouch Feb 20th 2009 6:53 am

i would only accept if medical paid for all as well as schooling.

busybee2 Feb 20th 2009 1:10 pm

its called cost cutting

still.unsure Feb 20th 2009 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7304899)
its called cost cutting

yeah, geez the packages have certainly changed a lot, just in the last year!

girlabouttown Feb 21st 2009 4:02 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7303371)

Totally agree.

Incidentally, legally an employer has to pay medical insurance for spouse and dependents under 18 if you are a resident of Abu Dhabi.

commander Feb 21st 2009 4:31 am

Its called a crap deal

Mischief Queen Feb 22nd 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by girlabouttown (Post 7306876)
Totally agree.

Incidentally, legally an employer has to pay medical insurance for spouse and dependents under 18 if you are a resident of Abu Dhabi.

I thought it was the sponsor who was responsible. Most cos sponsor the husband (or wife!) - and they in turn sponsor their spouse and children... so altho most cos do pay for medical for the whole family, I'm not sure they have to.

Agree with those who said don't come if not paying for school fees though - they're so expensive here! I don't even have kids (or husband for that matter) but my co wrote in school fees to the contract and what my change in allowances would be if I did get married, have kids etc. so that everything was cast in stone from the start.