Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Setting up new company - can I still keep my medical benefits through my spouse's co.

Setting up new company - can I still keep my medical benefits through my spouse's co.

Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up new company - can I still keep my medical benefits through my spouse's co.

I'm looking at setting up a business (probably RAK freezone to begin with) and am concerned about losing my privileges from my husband's sponsorship. Is there anyway around it? If not, I'm going to have to wait and get everything done from top to toe that I can. Teeth especially!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up new company - can I still keep my medical benefits through my spouse's

And a follow up, what do you do when someone just pays 60% of an invoice. Cheeky feckers.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up new company - can I still keep my medical benefits through my spouse's

Originally Posted by al dente
And a follow up, what do you do when someone just pays 60% of an invoice. Cheeky feckers.
Depending on what you do, you go and take 40% back....
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:35 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Start making new clients pay up front in cash, or with post dated cheques.

Sure, you might get some that refuse, but they'll probably be the ones that weren't planning on paying anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:48 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

That all depends on what you're selling, to whom, and what contract you have.

As a first stab, write a formal letter stating that unless they pay by a specified date (say one week), you will instigate legal proceedings. Then phone them every day to remind them they've only got x days left. Then...I'm not actually sure how to go about suing someone here, but I'd guess its not that complicated. Make sure you have all required documents, especially the original contract (which might be an emailed offer and an emailed confirmation), proof of delivery, your follow-up requests and a written record of each time you've tried to get them to pay.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys. It was the written word, so i can't claim it back and the company in question is a business registered overseas.

Live and learn, though I'm about to have a humdinger of a row with the owner.

My latest client just paid 50% up front as I am learning by my mistakes. Post dated cheques for the rest of the contract though.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:15 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at setting up a business (probably RAK freezone to begin with) and am concerned about losing my privileges from my husband's sponsorship. Is there anyway around it? If not, I'm going to have to wait and get everything done from top to toe that I can. Teeth especially!

You don't have to be on his sponsorship to get benefits like medical cover via his employer. It's your status as a spouse that is relevant only, not your visa.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:27 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. It was the written word, so i can't claim it back and the company in question is a business registered overseas.

Live and learn, though I'm about to have a humdinger of a row with the owner.

My latest client just paid 50% up front as I am learning by my mistakes. Post dated cheques for the rest of the contract though.
If its the British Virgin Islands, Saudi or somewhere of like repute, then forget suing them. But if its somewhere civilised...
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

you sit back and think...thank f**k I doubled the number