Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Senior Technology Position in IT

Senior Technology Position in IT

Old Aug 28th 2018, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

furiouskraken is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Senior Technology Position in IT

Hey Guys,

Been going through a lot of the threads and am confused on the packages. There are sites that suggest x is enough and some that suggest twice of x is also useless in Dubai. So, am furnishing my details to make an informed decision. The company asked me for the intial package which is annoying and they are not willing to say how much the other technology leaders are being paid for that level.

I am currently in London earning around £120k with 20% bonus. I have 2 kids who are 6 and 8 years old. I have a 4 bedroom semi-detached house in North London.

What's the monthly package that I should ask for? Below are the benefits other than the monthly package:
- Annual bonus of 20% from the annual salary depending on company’s performance
- Medical insurance for self, wife, and up to 3 kids up to the age of 21 years
- life insurance for self
- NO Annual Flights
- 40 Calendar Days leaves

I followed up on another thread where a person from the UK was on £85k per month, and the forum suggested that he should negotiate for upto 40k AED as a minimum. What should i ask for in my case considering that there's no housing or any kids allowances?

Last edited by furiouskraken; Aug 28th 2018 at 2:48 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

pupdawg82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Senior Technology Position in IT

Originally Posted by furiouskraken
Hey Guys,

Been going through a lot of the threads and am confused on the packages. There are sites that suggest x is enough and some that suggest twice of x is also useless in Dubai. So, am furnishing my details to make an informed decision. The company asked me for the intial package which is annoying and they are not willing to say how much the other technology leaders are being paid for that level.

I am currently in London earning around £120k with 20% bonus. I have 2 kids who are 6 and 8 years old. I have a 4 bedroom semi-detached house in North London.

What's the monthly package that I should ask for? Below are the benefits other than the monthly package:
- Annual bonus of 20% from the annual salary depending on company’s performance
- Medical insurance for self, wife, and up to 3 kids up to the age of 21 years
- life insurance for self
- NO Annual Flights
- 40 Calendar Days leaves

I followed up on another thread where a person from the UK was on £85k per month, and the forum suggested that he should negotiate for upto 40k AED as a minimum. What should i ask for in my case considering that there's no housing or any kids allowances?
I would suggest to ask them to pay housing and schooling since they are the most expensive things in UAE for decent ones. if not, add 200K for housing and 50K at least for decent school for 1 kid (per year) on your current base. As a Brit, you would save around 35% in taxes which could be considered as bump to move to UAE. Ideally 40K + Housing + Some assistance in tuition fee would be considered as done deal.

Mind telling what sector you would be working in? AD or Dubai?
Old Aug 30th 2018, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pupdawg82
I would suggest to ask them to pay housing and schooling since they are the most expensive things in UAE for decent ones. if not, add 200K for housing and 50K at least for decent school for 1 kid (per year) on your current base. As a Brit, you would save around 35% in taxes which could be considered as bump to move to UAE. Ideally 40K + Housing + Some assistance in tuition fee would be considered as done deal.

So basically 65k a month all in.

40k +200/12 + (50*2)/12 = 65k
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So basically 65k a month all in.

40k +200/12 + (50*2)/12 = 65k
Yes, but you do not need to do math for OP.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

true. But when I suggest that I’m usually laughed out of the room and blinded by the science of tax savings and exchange rates.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses so far. They came back that the max budget is 60k. There's nothing on top of that. Hoping that it's worth while and wiating for them to get back to me. Will post any responses if i get any.

Out of curiousity, why is that everyone calculates housing annually? Is that the norm?

Dubai. Finance Sector.

I definitely wouldn't have done it.. Thanks for the math

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 14th 2018 at 8:34 am. Reason: Posts merged - there's an 'edit' button you can use if you think of something you want to add after posting, rather than posting multiple times.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Out of curiousity, why is that everyone calculates housing annually? Is that the norm?
Yes, because almost all housing rentals are done by the year. You cannot usually rent somewhere for shorter periods.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Good luck. I know it is very hard decision to make when money/benefits are slightly better than current one. If it was huge difference then it would have been no brainer to say yes or no.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Apparently, it takes quite a long time in middle east for candidates. So, all i got to do is sit and wait.

Are there any other expats who have moved into the finance sector in IT to Dubai or Abu Dhabi? What's the remuneration that was offered and what's your experience?
Old Sep 14th 2018, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was in KSA this week and asked about premiums. For finance is c40pct and even then people drop out at the last minute.

Remember that if you move to KSA to do finance you’ve also ended your career.
Old Sep 14th 2018, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Apparently, it takes quite a long time in middle east for candidates. So, all i got to do is sit and wait.

Are there any other expats who have moved into the finance sector in IT to Dubai or Abu Dhabi? What's the remuneration that was offered and what's your experience?
I think remuneration is not standard and depends on what you were making in your previous role. In UAE specially, your base going to be 20-25% less but expat allowance and pension (paid monthly) will bring you just a bit up (5%) from your current salary.

If you are British then you save 30-40% from day 1 because of no taxes. On top of this many employers pay for accommodation and children's school so add these to overall benefits.

Unfortunately golden days of working in UAE are gone.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I was in KSA this week and asked about premiums. For finance is c40pct and even then people drop out at the last minute.

Remember that if you move to KSA to do finance you’ve also ended your career.
Is that 40% on gross UK salary ?
Old Sep 16th 2018, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
Is that 40% on gross UK salary ?
no, over DXB.

Just repeating what I was told by someone trying to recruit.

This is PE Fund management, not some bean counter or debt pusher.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

no, over DXB.

Just repeating what I was told by someone trying to recruit.

This is PE Fund management, not some bean counter or debt pusher.
Thanks - not a bad premium uplift although living in KSA would be a cut of 1000 deaths (with a blunt spoon!)
Old Sep 17th 2018, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Britchick42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I’m not sure if this is helpful or not because things have changed somewhat and packages are said to be quite different now . We moved to Abu Dhabi in 2008 we stayed 5 years and had three children . My Husbands position was group head of IT for the Middle East and Asia . At the time his package was 24k AED per month , great health insurance for all 5 of us . Full schooling for 3 children for upto around 51k per year . A flight home each per year and 24k per month housing. It was considered a good package but housing was through the roof then compared to how it is now . The company under went mergers etc and over time they scaled the allowances down.
We are contemplating going back and have noticed quite a shift in wages and benefits . My kids loved their life there .
I hope that things work out the way you want them to .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.