Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:13 am
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Originally Posted by scratchingitch
ok, smart arse. Im simply asking whether there are any differences between institutions in this part of the world in terms of how they negotiate. Is it expected, is it normal, would they take offence at aggressive counter-offers. Not unreasonable to ask, is it, particularly when there are clever people like you around...
Well not only that they get offended, your name is given to the authorities and if you ever step foot in the country you are taken to lashing and then you spend one month being someone's wife in the nick before they deport you to Mogadishu. Naked.

I mean come on, is it expected to bargain in an Arab country? Sorry for taking the piss but what's the worst that can happen if you reject an offer and ask for more?
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:56 am
Just Joined

scratchingitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Well not only that they get offended, your name is given to the authorities and if you ever step foot in the country you are taken to lashing and then you spend one month being someone's wife in the nick before they deport you to Mogadishu. Naked.

I mean come on, is it expected to bargain in an Arab country? Sorry for taking the piss but what's the worst that can happen if you reject an offer and ask for more?
Haha , that was pretty funny.

I think you mistook my casual comment as desperate plea for help. Sure, if anyone had anything interesting to share about their own experiences on negotiating stuff like this then I would've been interested to hear. If not, it's no biggie.

Thank you for your contribution, you made me laugh...
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:22 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scratchingitch
Haha , that was pretty funny.

I think you mistook my casual comment as desperate plea for help. Sure, if anyone had anything interesting to share about their own experiences on negotiating stuff like this then I would've been interested to hear. If not, it's no biggie.

Thank you for your contribution, you made me laugh...
Yeah, I am a funny guy.

Essentially, if you're dealing with a western company same rules apply as in the UK. If you're dealing with the local company then two things: 1) get everything in writing and 2) the locals love to bargain. Did you not see Monty Python's The Life of Brian - the souq scene refers?