Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Originally Posted by scratchingitch
If was on my own then it would make more sense. But because (for various reasons) my wife would not be working in AD, it doesn't. I was under the impression that the zero income tax plus expat benefits might make up for a large majority of my wife's loss of earnings but unfortunately it doesn't really come close. And I found that surprising. clearly I had too high expectations. On my own, there is an increase in my disposable income, but it ain't really anything to write home about.
120k basic GBP - 720k

50k a month minus 200k housing

34k all in incl all benefits. So basic around 24k?

Doesn't make sense to me, i'd refuse. However, the maths does seem all wrong. Have you really been offered a basic at 40% gross of your current salary?!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

scratchingitch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by al dente
120k basic GBP - 720k

50k a month minus 200k housing

34k all in incl all benefits. So basic around 24k?

Doesn't make sense to me, i'd refuse. However, the maths does seem all wrong. Have you really been offered a basic at 40% gross of your current salary?!
Not far off. I'm trying to negotiate a better deal!

Anyone have much experience with negotiating? Of course depends on case by case basis, but generally speaking is there willingness to negotiate? I am assuming there is... Or maybe just me hoping
Old Nov 1st 2012, 3:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not far off. I'm trying to negotiate a better deal!

Anyone have much experience with negotiating? Of course depends on case by case basis, but generally speaking is there willingness to negotiate? I am assuming there is... Or maybe just me hoping
I think you'd need a much better deal. If you have a job currently, why would you even consider a move for less?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I think you'd need a much better deal. If you have a job currently, why would you even consider a move for less?
The poster's current job is either being hugely overpaid or the company here need to seriously reevaluate how they renumerate roles and look at market average. I cannot imagine anyone taking a job at 40% market value. Surely there is something missing in this picture.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:48 am
Just Joined

The poster's current job is either being hugely overpaid or the company here need to seriously reevaluate how they renumerate roles and look at market average. I cannot imagine anyone taking a job at 40% market value. Surely there is something missing in this picture.
No, nothing missing. The base is actually closer to 45% but it's still the same story. Are u saying this offer is ridiculously low even though all the benefits etc bring my equivalent salary back up to roughly where my gross salary is now? I think there are lots of reasons for saying so...for one thing I know a number of people that have managed to secure deals that left their gross salaries the same, thus allowing them to benefit significantly from the zero tax, while also receiving a few benefits on top. Now that would be attractive. But perhaps the region has chgd in the last 2-3 years... I don't know.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Does your gross include bonus?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Does your gross include bonus?
No it doesn't, it could be anywhere between 0-100 of base. But based on what previous people have said it doesn't sound like I should be relying on this to make the whole thing worth my while. This is particularly the case because I have bonus scheme here in London too... Which is calculated off of a higher base salary...
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

No it doesn't, it could be anywhere between 0-100 of base. But based on what previous people have said it doesn't sound like I should be relying on this to make the whole thing worth my while. This is particularly the case because I have bonus scheme here in London too... Which is calculated off of a higher base salary...
If the company is genuinely only offering you 45% of your basic as your er, basic, that would be a red flag to me. Something is wrong and they have no understanding of competitive rates of pay and I'd worry if that lack of judgement went across the board. FWIW, my husband's basic was less than his basic at home (85%) but our cash effectively doubled, with the benefits and the opportunities for other income (renting out house etc).
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

If the company is genuinely only offering you 45% of your basic as your er, basic, that would be a red flag to me. Something is wrong and they have no understanding of competitive rates of pay and I'd worry if that lack of judgement went across the board. FWIW, my husband's basic was less than his basic at home (85%) but our cash effectively doubled, with the benefits and the opportunities for other income (renting out house etc).
Ok, thank you for the information. That is helpful. That is the kind of offer that I was hoping for/ expecting.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:32 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Angela2012,
I am in a similar position to you. Am currently working in UK and considering an offer in Abu Dhabi that is very similar to what you have described. I was also a little bit deflated when I saw the details.

Would love to hear how your negotiations went! Any news?
people are disappointed with a salary of 79,000 dhs a month that is nearly 13,000 quid a month?
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
people are disappointed with a salary of 79,000 dhs a month that is nearly 13,000 quid a month?
Well, if it's less then they are being paid somewhere else, why wouldn't they be?
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:46 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Anyone have much experience with negotiating?
Let me get this right, you're on GBP100k+ and you're asking how to negotiate??
Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:47 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
That's the City guys for you, still warped in pre-2008.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
Let me get this right, you're on GBP100k+ and you're asking how to negotiate??
ok, smart arse. Im simply asking whether there are any differences between institutions in this part of the world in terms of how they negotiate. Is it expected, is it normal, would they take offence at aggressive counter-offers. Not unreasonable to ask, is it, particularly when there are clever people like you around...
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Desert Dubliner
That's the City guys for you, still warped in pre-2008.
ahhh - if only i was a "city guy" pre 2008.

nothing warped about refusing a deal that would make you worse off, is there, whatever year it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.