Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

scratchingitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary package (financial industry) good for family? Help Please!

Originally Posted by busybee2
remember hmrc, you have to be out of country for 1 tax year etc.
Thanks busy bee... good point. need to wrap this up before April!
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Millhouse
There are no pension schemes here. The 5% end of service benefit (applied to your salary not package) is about it. When I was in AD my EOS accrual was a bit higher than the 5% but nothing to write home about.

As for the package - without knowing the numbers it's hard. You really need to try and work out what you would be saving here vs. saving at home after paying all your costs... try using the calculator on the main forum.

But, my sense if that it maybe a bit low.

Hmmm weird, there was no mention of any EOS in the provisional contract they sent me. Basically the package I have been offered amounts to around £120k, which includes all benefits and allowances (such as housing, gratuities etc etc) which is a bit less than my current base salary. I was originally under the impression that the benefits would be on top of a base salary that was roughly similar to what I am on now.

Do you think that AED200k for housing allowance is enough for Abu Dhabi. Done a bit searching around and seems it probably is - what do you guys think? I will be coming with my wife - no kids.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:24 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

200k in AD will get you something nice, not palatial but fine for two.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scratchingitch
Hmmm weird, there was no mention of any EOS in the provisional contract they sent me. Basically the package I have been offered amounts to around £120k, which includes all benefits and allowances (such as housing, gratuities etc etc) which is a bit less than my current base salary. I was originally under the impression that the benefits would be on top of a base salary that was roughly similar to what I am on now.

Do you think that AED200k for housing allowance is enough for Abu Dhabi. Done a bit searching around and seems it probably is - what do you guys think? I will be coming with my wife - no kids.
Not sure why you are considering a move then! AD is a very expensive place to live so you will be worse off.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Not sure why you are considering a move then! AD is a very expensive place to live so you will be worse off.
aargh my eyes!! What were you saying?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

sorry wrong colour to highlight!
Old Oct 30th 2012, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by soukie

Because it's tax free. But I agree with the broad thrust of your point and I don't think it's enough. As things stand I wont be going. I'm just trying to get a sense of what is a typical sort of offer, so i can get a sense of whether im being low-balled. Any recent experience you can share?
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flummoxed by those in the financial industry here having less disposable on offers like this, (equal). When we moved here, the salary seemed to equal what my husband was being paid at home. However, in reality, even though the bonuses are of a lesser amount, he is still absolutely quids in because of being tax free, and the hidden benefits of the package (renting out our properties back home, airmiles, mission money, committee money, 0%car loan, dentistry, school books). That's notwithstanding the cheap and flexible childcare here that has allowed me to go back to work despite my two youngest children being under 2.

We went from breaking even (new baby, 1 salary instead of 2, new house) to saving 50% of the basic a year. And the hidden benefit to our relationship of being able to go out for the night, play tennis etc at the drop of a hat.

Education would be my sticking point, but only at secondary, and then there is boarding school (culturally something I'm happy with) if my children appear to be bright enough. Or we leave.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Because it's tax free. But I agree with the broad thrust of your point and I don't think it's enough. As things stand I wont be going. I'm just trying to get a sense of what is a typical sort of offer, so i can get a sense of whether im being low-balled. Any recent experience you can share?
Can you give the numbers per month, broken down by allowance, in Dirhams?

The EOS isn't in your contract as it's a legal requirement. A bit like how employer NI contributions in the UK are not in your contract.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
I'm flummoxed by those in the financial industry here having less disposable on offers like this, (equal). When we moved here, the salary seemed to equal what my husband was being paid at home. However, in reality, even though the bonuses are of a lesser amount, he is still absolutely quids in because of being tax free, and the hidden benefits of the package (renting out our properties back home, airmiles, mission money, committee money, 0%car loan, dentistry, school books). That's notwithstanding the cheap and flexible childcare here that has allowed me to go back to work despite my two youngest children being under 2.

We went from breaking even (new baby, 1 salary instead of 2, new house) to saving 50% of the basic a year. And the hidden benefit to our relationship of being able to go out for the night, play tennis etc at the drop of a hat.

Education would be my sticking point, but only at secondary, and then there is boarding school (culturally something I'm happy with) if my children appear to be bright enough. Or we leave.
That is a very good post.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

"LONDON: At the moment, my husband earns OVER 150K per annum including bonus (he got offered 220K a year ago by another company in London, but we rejected that offer), though with really long working hours; I earn over 40K with good holiday and benefits. We have two children, my older one will go to middle school soon, but he has high chance of getting into one of the best grammer schools in london, so basically education is free in london. we could have very decent life here, even if we decide to send our children to private school..."

...so why on earth would you even consider that AD package? The grass is not always greener on the other side, especially over here. Stay put!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mentalist
"LONDON: At the moment, my husband earns OVER 150K per annum including bonus (he got offered 220K a year ago by another company in London, but we rejected that offer), though with really long working hours; I earn over 40K with good holiday and benefits. We have two children, my older one will go to middle school soon, but he has high chance of getting into one of the best grammer schools in london, so basically education is free in london. we could have very decent life here, even if we decide to send our children to private school..."

...so why on earth would you even consider that AD package? The grass is not always greener on the other side, especially over here. Stay put!
I disagree, her husband' current wage is 91k, it would be 100k here before bonus, which even at 25k would be tidy, and all the other income streams i mentioned up thread.

Anyway, no matter as OP never came back. Wonder if they are now in AD.....
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

150 is good for a villa in abu at the moment.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes your salary is not taxed but there are alot of hidden costs.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by al dente

If was on my own then it would make more sense. But because (for various reasons) my wife would not be working in AD, it doesn't. I was under the impression that the zero income tax plus expat benefits might make up for a large majority of my wife's loss of earnings but unfortunately it doesn't really come close. And I found that surprising. clearly I had too high expectations. On my own, there is an increase in my disposable income, but it ain't really anything to write home about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.