Salary Negotiation - KSA

Old Sep 29th 2015, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

fielding is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary Negotiation - KSA

I'm in preliminary discussions with a US engineering company for a position in Riyadh. Early in the discussion they asked me for my salary requirements. I threw out a range that I now realize was too low. Is it too late to course correct on this, or have I painted myself into a corner on salary already? If it's not too late, at what point should I make an attempt to bring things in line with my expectations? Bring it up now, or wait until they make an offer?

I realize from reading postings here that these company's will often take the number at the bottom of your stated range and start the negotiation from there. Had I known this earlier I would have adjusted my original salary statement. Better yet, not thrown out any numbers at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

super_hans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary Negotiation - KSA

I would suggest wait for the offer and negotiate from there. In my experience of the region they will have a salary band for the job and the offer will be the bottom of that band.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

and I would add that you do not want to come here without a salary that is more than what you were hoping for. Don't compromise there or you'll feel a painful reminder of what you could have had at the beginning of each month.

Wait for the offer. Appear nonchalant and reject it with a counteroffer above what you're hoping for. Work your way to something you're happy with. Be willing to lose the job in the process.

if you're not willing to lose the job, I'd reconsider Saudi if I were you. It's not the place to be stuck in a job you can't walk away from.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point

I echo both opinions above.

First, it's always better to talk about salary after you get an offer from them. This is the point where the employer knows he wants you, and you have the maximum leverage. So, wait.

Second, Saudi being Saudi, you should feel super comfortable with the money before you come to KSA, and hence you should be ready to lose the job and be happy about it, if they don't offer enough.

Lastly, have no regrets. It's a learning exercise. And IMHO if you back-up your revised target based on your renewed understanding of the region/job/requirements/conditions, no reasonable employer will try to 'cheat' by keep on anchoring their offer to your original request. In other words, you should not beat yourself up for what you originally suggested. You'll probably get in the end the same amount.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

fielding is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. Your advice helps a great deal.