British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Salary expectation Qatar for QS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/salary-expectation-qatar-qs-719842/)

unsureone Jun 6th 2011 7:23 pm

Salary expectation Qatar for QS

Can anyone tell me what sort of salary I should be looking at for a Senior QS role in Qatar? Do they offer basic + housing/schools/flights etc? What is the best package to ask for.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 4:21 am

Re: Salary expectation Qatar for QS

Originally Posted by unsureone (Post 9414365)
Can anyone tell me what sort of salary I should be looking at for a Senior QS role in Qatar? Do they offer basic + housing/schools/flights etc? What is the best package to ask for.

Depends, contractor / consultant / subbie etc.

Loads of MENA experience will bump it up.

But realistically got to be looking all-in 30-40k roughly.

soukie Jun 7th 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9415304)
Depends, contractor / consultant / subbie etc.

Loads of MENA experience will bump it up.

But realistically got to be looking all-in 30-40k roughly.

For a Senior QS ! - that figure is shocking. Have wages really dropped that much?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 6:46 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 9415472)
For a Senior QS ! - that figure is shocking. Have wages really dropped that much?

Depends and varies hugely, obviously i'm talking QAR/AED Per month

unsureone Jun 7th 2011 8:37 am

Wow, that is low, even compared to Dubai standards. Was expecting way more! Can only ask for more and see what happens. Thanks for replies guys.

co durham boy Jun 7th 2011 9:47 am

Senior Q.S in Qatar should be looking for a 35K+ QAR basic plus the usual Housing , schooling , bonus and expat benefits.

Obviously that figure will float depending on who you're working for , you'll get a higher end figure working for Q.P.M and Qatar Diar than working for say Ali Bin Flip Flop Construction.

co durham boy Jun 7th 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by unsureone (Post 9415707)
Wow, that is low, even compared to Dubai standards. Was expecting way more! Can only ask for more and see what happens. Thanks for replies guys.

What are you worth ?

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9415836)
Senior Q.S in Qatar should be looking for a 35K+ QAR basic plus the usual Housing , schooling , bonus and expat benefits.

Obviously that figure will float depending on who you're working for , you'll get a higher end figure working for Q.P.M and Qatar Diar than working for say Ali Bin Flip Flop Construction.

35 BASE ++++ seems high to me.

co durham boy Jun 7th 2011 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9415881)
35 BASE ++++ seems high to me.

A very good friend of mine is working for Q.P.M as a Project Manager at Education City in Doha and he's on 38KQAR basic / 18K Housing / 54 days Annual leave amongst all the other perks plus he works from 7.30am to 2.30pm 5 days a week....

Nice work if you can get mate...That's a Governmental based Project Management Arm Company mind but there's still good deals to be had here in Qatar.

Not as good as 3 years ago though when people were getting 30-40% more for being here as they couldn't get anyone but there's still value out there if you want to come here , obviously that wont last long as the market has already started to correct itself accordingly.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9415921)
A very good friend of mine is working for Q.P.M as a Project Manager at Education City in Doha and he's on 38KQAR basic / 18K Housing / 54 days Annual leave amongst all the other perks plus he works from 7.30am to 2.30pm 5 days a week....

Nice work if you can get mate...That's a Governmental based Project Management Arm Company mind but there's still good deals to be had here in Qatar.

Not as good as 3 years ago though when people were getting 30-40% more for being here as they couldn't get anyone but there's still value out there if you want to come here , obviously that wont last long as the market has already started to correct itself accordingly.

Diar and QPM are different level stuff though...the contractors (who i work with, well, more sub-contractors) have adjusted their salaries sharply it seems. "We'll pay x, if they won't take it, find me someone not as good who will". Sometimes defies logic but such is.

co durham boy Jun 7th 2011 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9415928)
Diar and QPM are different level stuff though...the contractors (who i work with, well, more sub-contractors) have adjusted their salaries sharply it seems. "We'll pay x, if they won't take it, find me someone not as good who will". Sometimes defies logic but such is.

I know mate , that's the mentality for these people here , just get me a guy for x , yes but if you pay y you'll get a much better product , no , i only want to pay x

You'll find the first guy will eventually f*** the job up get fired and they'll end up getting the second guy and it's cost them a lot more money than going for the second option in the first place.

They'll also be a loss of face and the cycle will continue , the cycle hardly ever breaks as everyone's so arrogant and ignorant to see the shortcomings.

scrubbedexpat141 Jun 7th 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9415940)
I know mate , that's the mentality for these people here , just get me a guy for x , yes but if you pay y you'll get a much better product , no , i only want to pay x

You'll find the first guy will eventually f*** the job up get fired and they'll end up getting the second guy and it's cost them a lot more money than going for the second option in the first place.

They'll also be a loss of face and the cycle will continue , the cycle hardly ever breaks as everyone's so arrogant and ignorant to see the shortcomings.

Rapidly learning that one.

Commercial staff is the one that stands out... why get someone who might cost you money, or not get a variation / claim right and lose you money. Pay a bit more, get the guy who's shit hot and they make that money back. (in simplest possible terms).

But hey, they want x, they'll get x but I'm going to dangle y in front of them and see what happens!

unsureone Jun 7th 2011 10:58 am

Agent says the co are offering 45-50k all in, trying to work out of schooling is separate. Surely decent housing will gost 15-20k a month?

unsureone Jun 7th 2011 11:06 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 9415839)
What are you worth ?

With previous ME experience and 20 yrs QS I would expect 55k package with schooling/flights/medical above this. Dont think this is too extravagant.

WakeUp Jun 7th 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by unsureone (Post 9415997)
With previous ME experience and 20 yrs QS I would expect 55k package with schooling/flights/medical above this. Dont think this is too extravagant.

Not in todays climate, not a hope, there just aren't that many positions out there. If you do get lucky and find some please pm me ;)