British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Salary advice needed - IT Manager job in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/salary-advice-needed-manager-job-abu-dhabi-590435/)

alistair7 Feb 9th 2009 9:38 pm

Salary advice needed - IT Manager job in Abu Dhabi

Hello, All.

I need advise on what is a good basic salary for an experienced IT manager of an government/royalty-backed oil and gas company in Abu Dhabi.

I am offered a 26k dirhams a month, and it looks very low to me. Am I right?

The offer has other allowances in the package, inc. accommodation and schooling (I am married with 2 primary school age boys), which seem low to me as well, but my main question is regarding the basic salary.

A little bit info about me in case it helps with answering my question: I am a UK national and an experienced senior IT manager. Currently I manage around 100 staff providing services to 4,000 internal IT users. I work for a famous and healthy and secure blue-chip top FTSE10 company.

Thanks in advance for any info you provide.

Regards

hawkhead Feb 10th 2009 3:48 am

Re: Salary advice needed - IT Manager job in Abu Dhabi

If schooling and housing etc are covered (but what are they offering you for this?) then I would have thought you could live off 26k. But as to whether it's a good deal or not I'll leave to someone in the same industry.

still.unsure Feb 10th 2009 4:35 am

Originally Posted by alistair7 (Post 7268438)
Hello, All.

I need advise on what is a good basic salary for an experienced IT manager of an government/royalty-backed oil and gas company in Abu Dhabi.

I am offered a 26k dirhams a month, and it looks very low to me. Am I right?

The offer has other allowances in the package, inc. accommodation and schooling (I am married with 2 primary school age boys), which seem low to me as well, but my main question is regarding the basic salary.

A little bit info about me in case it helps with answering my question: I am a UK national and an experienced senior IT manager. Currently I manage around 100 staff providing services to 4,000 internal IT users. I work for a famous and healthy and secure blue-chip top FTSE10 company.

Thanks in advance for any info you provide.

Regards

you may want to have a look at this thread... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7269496

the OP on it was asking if 40k p/m was enough and, for the situation they described, wasn't really worth it.

best 'o luck

Hello.Kitty Feb 10th 2009 4:35 am

yes, I may be being a bit slow, but is the 26k what they term "basic salary" and then your various allowances are on top of that (in which case, as Hawkhead says - how much are they offering?!) or is it the overall?

If it's the overall, laugh at them.

hawkhead Feb 10th 2009 4:37 am

Read the thread Kitty!!

Hello.Kitty Feb 10th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7269505)
Read the thread Kitty!!

:p I did say I was being a bit slow!

Regardless, it hinges on how much the allowances add up to, dunnit?!

girlabouttown Feb 10th 2009 12:11 pm

IF accommodation, schooling, flights, car etc are all included IN FULL then it is a reasonable starting point but I would think given your experience you could command considerably more.

YesICan Feb 10th 2009 7:28 pm

I am mulling over a 40K all inclusive offer for an IT Manager position in Abu Dhabi with a private company and based on the opinion provided by almost all of the contributors to this forum it is not sufficient.

I would say 26K AED is not sufficient unless they offer full cost of accomodations and children's education which were the two biggest expenses I added up for my family with 3 elementary school going kids.

I am holding off for 65K offer, anyone knows where I can go to get it? :D

sassypilotswife Feb 10th 2009 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by YesICan (Post 7271999)
I am mulling over a 40K all inclusive offer for an IT Manager position in Abu Dhabi with a private company and based on the opinion provided by almost all of the contributors to this forum it is not sufficient.

I would say 26K AED is not sufficient unless they offer full cost of accomodations and children's education which were the two biggest expenses I added up for my family with 3 elementary school going kids.

I am holding off for 65K offer, anyone knows where I can go to get it? :D

Send me your CV via PM or however. and I will forward to my guys.. Spugsy's guy has the first at bat but send on and will see what I can find out for you.

rena19 Feb 23rd 2009 3:22 pm

It is Alistair7 here using my wife's account, as my one is not working for some reason.

Thanks to all for reply.

The latest final offer today is 70k dirhams/month all inclusive. 31k of this is what they call "base monthly salary", 20k is accommodation, 3.5k is education for both children, plus other items - all together 70k.

The offers sounds good initially, but taking into account the Abu Dhabi factor (vs Berkshire, UK) - is this is good enough package for a person with my experience?

Thanks for responses in advance.

hawkhead Feb 24th 2009 2:52 am

Your main problem here is that you will be getting 20k per month for accommodation (too low for a family of your size anyway) but in AD you have to pay rents yearly in advance. So where are you going to find the c.350-400AED you'll require for your year's rent? Also, if it then all goes t*ts up after three months what happens to the rent you've just paid?
Education is also a bit low. Someone with more interest in money will be able to tell you the exact cost but I think the British school is about 9k per term for primary.
Base salary sounds good to me in terms of general cost of living in AD but I have no idea of it is good for your industry/experience etc.

Blue Cat Feb 24th 2009 2:59 am

70k per month

34,000 per month on rent - and as HH says payable 1 year in advance :(
7000 per month on schooling, depending on age of kids - again payable per term, we pay 9k per term for our 4 year old.
car for wife - 2000 per month
Water Electricity - not sure exactly but approx 2000 a month, more in summer

that's about 44000 before you consider anything else, thus leaving you 26k for day to day living, you should be fine :thumbup:

it's the initial layouts that are tough, like relocation and security deposits on property, agents fees, furniture, school uniforms, it all adds up.