Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Its a shit deal mate

Stay where you are and tell them to shove it.

Let some TCN get appointed, cock it up and then go in on a decent package to sort it out later
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on a minute, guys. Unless my maths is wrong, AED 35k pcm equates to GBP 6k pcm.

Ok, you need to get proper leave (which the UAE labour law entitles you to) and a flight or two home, but to dismiss this off-hand is ridiculous.

I don't know about rents in Al Ain, but if they're falling like those in Dubai then 40k pa should be enough (can someone from Al Ain verify this?).

Accommodation allowance would be good, as would start-up costs, but let Dubizzle.com be your friend.

Do you need a car? Taxis are cheap.

And if you're of the mindset, you can live here reasonably cheaply if that's your objective.

I haven't seen anything which discusses your alternatives. If you're only pulling in 2-3k pcm after tax in UK, then you could well be a couple of grand a month better off in Al Ain. Depending on your circumstances, that's not to be sneezed at.

As for people "allowing expat salaries to be dragged down": there is a recession going on, in case nobody had noticed (although some industries are immune or already pulling out of it). And unless you're part of Hot Fuzz's "For the Greater Good" clique, you've got to do what's right for you and say To Hell with everyone else.

Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:55 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
There's too many butchers , bakers and candle stick makers in this part of the world especially in the construction industry and it's led to a decrease in packages and benefits .
I think you might find that construction activity coming to a virtual standstill has had an even greater impact. Supply and demand.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

well, in that case he'd better take it then hadn't he- snap it up flood man

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

... you've got to do what's right for you and say To Hell with everyone else.

Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
I think you might find that construction activity coming to a virtual standstill has had an even greater impact. Supply and demand.
Some companies are now offering better packages to tempt the experienced and qualified people back to the area as they have found that the desperate ones are not up to scratch.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

yes, thats bound to happen.
Frankly I don't care if entire continents of 'I'm cheaper than you' people are hired- the evidence is in the crap end-result, poorly functioning and badly designed infrastructure, buildings, systems and attitudes.
Did any of you come here for the freedom of expression?, or perhaps the ballistic drivers ?, the heat/ humidity?, the pleasure of not being able to hug your partner in public?, the fear of being chucked in jail for something taken for granted 'back home' ?....should I go on? NO- you came here for the money. And the money had better be good. End of story else I take my skills and go and live in a free, happy, relaxed country where I feel at home.

You feel at home here? good for you, then stay here and undercut everyone and everything and keep on producing heartache and shit product have a great life- its too short anyway, ciao !!

Originally Posted by soukie
Some companies are now offering better packages to tempt the experienced and qualified people back to the area as they have found that the desperate ones are not up to scratch.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

hey souks I didn't mean you - ... just rhetorical

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
yes, thats bound to happen.
Frankly I don't care if entire continents of 'I'm cheaper than you' people are hired- the evidence is in the crap end-result, poorly functioning and badly designed infrastructure, buildings, systems and attitudes.
Did any of you come here for the freedom of expression?, or perhaps the ballistic drivers ?, the heat/ humidity?, the pleasure of not being able to hug your partner in public?, the fear of being chucked in jail for something taken for granted 'back home' ?....should I go on? NO- you came here for the money. And the money had better be good. End of story else I take my skills and go and live in a free, happy, relaxed country where I feel at home.

You feel at home here? good for you, then stay here and undercut everyone and everything and keep on producing heartache and shit product have a great life- its too short anyway, ciao !!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
hey souks I didn't mean you - ... just rhetorical
No probs - I agree with you! If the package wasn't right we wouldn't be here. You only live once