Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough
Default Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

hi,

No sure if this should have been in this forum..

I am a UK national based in UK and I have been offered a resident engineer position , as a transfer within existing company in Al Ain,for 2 years with start within 4-6 weeks on a salary of 35000 Dir a month with a loan facility for my rent(no housing allowance).

Can I ask opinions...

Are two year contracts normal?

Is this a fair salary? I have about 15 yrs experience, degree etc.

I assume that for tax I need to be out of the UK before April 2011?

Do these jobs normally have a car included?

Can I get a 2 bed apartment for 40k dir a year?

My position has 11 days holiday only(all UAE dates), 6 day working, is this normal?

Should I ask for car/housing allowance/start costs as an allowance(ie furniture?)

thanks in advance
Old Feb 21st 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resident Engineer Abu Dhabi

Don't agree to this - it is far too low. You should push for housing and a car plus a relocation amount to cover furniture etc. The holidays you mention are the public holidays in UAE so you should have 25-30 days annual allowance as well. Accomodation in UAE is expensive and I doubt you would get an apartment in Al Ain for 40,000 Dhs but I really don't know the Al Ain market so someone else can advise you on this. A lot of rents are paid 6 -12 months up front so you need to think about how you can fund this and if it was me I would push for the employer to pay this. If you want to count 2011/12 as a tax free year you need to start at the beginning of April 2011.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood2
hi,

No sure if this should have been in this forum..

I am a UK national based in UK and I have been offered a resident engineer position , as a transfer within existing company in Al Ain,for 2 years with start within 4-6 weeks on a salary of 35000 Dir a month with a loan facility for my rent(no housing allowance).

Can I ask opinions...

Are two year contracts normal?

Is this a fair salary? I have about 15 yrs experience, degree etc.

I assume that for tax I need to be out of the UK before April 2011?

Do these jobs normally have a car included?

Can I get a 2 bed apartment for 40k dir a year?

My position has 11 days holiday only(all UAE dates), 6 day working, is this normal?

Should I ask for car/housing allowance/start costs as an allowance(ie furniture?)

thanks in advance
you need the following basics at least

1. Housing allowance or company provided accomm
2. Car Provided or allowance
3. Comprehensive Medical Insurance
4. 30 days annual paid leave plus local holidays
5. 2 no flights per year

If you haven't got the above don't bother , an R.E with your experience should be looking for at least 30,000AED Plus all benefits , anything else and your wasting your time.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

agree.
Its worrying to see expat salaries driven down like this- why bother?- you're trapped for 2 years, you have to take a loan out just to pay for your rent..
would there be any self esteem left in a contract like this? Better to stay at home, seriously.

Originally Posted by co durham boy

5. 2 no flights per year

If you haven't got the above don't bother , an R.E with your experience should be looking for at least 30,000AED Plus all benefits , anything else and your wasting your time.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soukie
Don't agree to this - it is far too low. You should push for housing and a car plus a relocation amount to cover furniture etc. The holidays you mention are the public holidays in UAE so you should have 25-30 days annual allowance as well. Accomodation in UAE is expensive and I doubt you would get an apartment in Al Ain for 40,000 Dhs but I really don't know the Al Ain market so someone else can advise you on this. A lot of rents are paid 6 -12 months up front so you need to think about how you can fund this and if it was me I would push for the employer to pay this. If you want to count 2011/12 as a tax free year you need to start at the beginning of April 2011.
Thanks, I had heard that the the 11 days will also fall on a Friday and if that is the case I lose the day. Is that correct? The employer will pay my 1st years apartment, which I pay back monthly. I have to fund second year.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
agree.
Its worrying to see expat salaries driven down like this- why bother?- you're trapped for 2 years, you have to take a loan out just to pay for your rent..
would there be any self esteem left in a contract like this? Better to stay at home, seriously.
Why on earth people do it still amazes me , if your costs are covered then you can negotiate the salary depending on circumstances. If your costs are not covered don't bother , it will inevitably lead to heartache.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by co durham boy

5. 2 no flights per year

They will pay my first years rent, but I pay it back over the year. I need to pay second year. I am sure that there will be medical cover.

Still not seen contract to see fine detail/negotiate as the job fell through 6 months ago, but has reappeared again.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

agree.
Thanks for info. Thats why I am checking out sites like this!

I do not know fair rates for work but I thuought it may lead to more work in the future over there if I had experience in ME.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

agree.
A lot of UAE construction employees lost jobs in 2009 and then stayed on with poor packages and that's why the market is so bad - seems that a lot of people will accept anything to stay these days. The recruitment agencies are still using the same old "it's tax free" tactic but we all know that the tax free element is soon eaten up with high prices, licence and permit costs etc etc etc.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

A lot of UAE construction employees lost jobs in 2009 and then stayed on with poor packages and that's why the market is so bad - seems that a lot of people will accept anything to stay these days. The recruitment agencies are still using the same old "it's tax free" tactic but we all know that the tax free element is soon eaten up with high prices, licence and permit costs etc etc etc.
Thanks for posts. My job is not in construction. I still have time to negotiate on package( I think!)
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

true, ditto when our company took the gap and deserted us- but I've refused to get drawn in to the lower salaried job offers- whats the point- you sell your profession out, you have just become an idiot- there's a reason to keep your value and protect it with your 'life'- its plain to see why just looking around

Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

no problem amigo- as durham says, start with your real costs and take it from there.

buying a job to get another job is an absolutely fatal mistake...but continues to be adopted by seasoned professionals- only problem is they invariably cause distress and diminishes the reputation of the profession but yes, 'simply irresistible'

Originally Posted by flood2
Thanks for info. Thats why I am checking out sites like this!

I do not know fair rates for work but I thuought it may lead to more work in the future over there if I had experience in ME.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

true, ditto when our company took the gap and deserted us- but I've refused to get drawn in to the lower salaried job offers- whats the point- you sell your profession out, you have just become an idiot- there's a reason to keep your value and protect it with your 'life'- its plain to see why just looking around

Old Feb 21st 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for advice. It can be tricky taking the first step and with job prospects not that great in UK and sometimes I think it is easier getting a job when you have a job!

I had looked on UAE job websites for similar jobs and you never seem to get salaries/perks mentioned. That is why it is better from hearing from people in a similar situation.

cheers
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Correct , i'v been in the industry for over 25 years and for the last 5 i'v seen a worrying shift of people who will work for buttons , i'm of the opinion that this is the Dubai trait . People will just about sell their own mothers to come to this place and thus have no idea what to expect or how to handle it.

Being in the Gulf is about earning money and working , the people who understand that know whats expected of them and what specifics to negotiate when applying for positions.

There's too many butchers , bakers and candle stick makers in this part of the world especially in the construction industry and it's led to a decrease in packages and benefits .

Iv had people tell me that "This is the going rate" . My retort is to get someone else to do it as it's not my rate. On the plus side good experienced people will always get decent packages and projects and with a downturn a lot of the chaff will be back in the UK stacking shelves in Asda.

The old saying is always true ,' If you don't know your own value then don't expect anyone else to either'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.