Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is this a good offer in Kuwait?

Is this a good offer in Kuwait?

Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Haron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a good offer in Kuwait?

Hello guys
I got this job offer in Kuwait (Assistant Professor)
Basic salary KWD 1800 per month
30 working days annual leave
School coverage up to KWD 4000 per year
Accommodation allowance KWD 200 per month
Annual flights for up to 4 persons
Health and life insurance for 4 family members
I have little information about life in Kuwait and expenses. The only thing I know is to rent a decent unfurnished 3 bedrooms house it cost KWD 500 per month, which consumes one quarter of the basic salary+ allowance. Any information about other life expenses is appreciated. How much –on average- does monthly grocery and food cost for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids?
Is this salary good? Bad? Average? Any advice is appreciated. I need to get back to those guys as soon as possible.

Thanks
Haron

Ah.. one thing I need to add, the job is at Australian College of Kuwait.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:38 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this a good offer in Kuwait?

Originally Posted by Haron
Hello guys
I got this job offer in Kuwait (Assistant Professor)
Basic salary KWD 1800 per month
30 working days annual leave
School coverage up to KWD 4000 per year
Accommodation allowance KWD 200 per month
Annual flights for up to 4 persons
Health and life insurance for 4 family members
I have little information about life in Kuwait and expenses. The only thing I know is to rent a decent unfurnished 3 bedrooms house it cost KWD 500 per month, which consumes one quarter of the basic salary+ allowance. Any information about other life expenses is appreciated. How much –on average- does monthly grocery and food cost for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids?
Is this salary good? Bad? Average? Any advice is appreciated. I need to get back to those guys as soon as possible.

Thanks
Haron

Ah.. one thing I need to add, the job is at Australian College of Kuwait.
Have absolutely no idea on your questions, but thought of something that might cheer you up.....

Instead of adding your Accom allowance to your salary and then subtracting 500KWD ( as you rightly point out, a quarter), why not subtract the Accom allowance from the rental price, leaving 300KWD, and then taking it from the salary amount. Then, you are only using a sixth of your salary for rent....!!

Im a glass half full kinda guy......
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I got this job offer in Kuwait (Assistant Professor) - Congratulations
Basic salary KWD 1800 per month - Seems on the low side but i dont know salaries for academics
30 working days annual leave - Seems ok
School coverage up to KWD 4000 per year - Depends how many dependents you have
Accommodation allowance KWD 200 per month - Too Low - I would aim for a minimum of 500KD
Annual flights for up to 4 persons - Normal
Health and life insurance for 4 family members - Normal

ACK is based in Misref - you can find a floor on a villa for that amount
I have little information about life in Kuwait and expenses.

How much –on average- does monthly grocery and food cost for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids? - I would probably put a low side 400-600KD per month for groceries/going out
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

It depends on the universities and disciplines, i.e. medical, social sciences. For Asst Prof, Assoc Prof and Prof, the monthly basic salaries are roughly KWD 1,500-2,500, 2,500-3,500, and 5,000-12,000, respectively. Please be aware that there is no personal income tax in Kuwait, but the cost of living is a bit high; probably it is similar to London. To be honest, I think you and and your family could survive with that salary and are able to save up some money, but it is up to your lifestyle and other factors. I would suggest you to fly Kuwait City to get a better idea whether it is for you or not. Anyway, try to avoid the American University of the Middle East (AUM), as it has a very bad profile; please see related threads. Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Haron is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everybody for reply.
wwinit: the work is at the Australian College of Kuwait. Is it a good place to work at?
If life cost is similar to London, then it seems the salary is tight!

Thanks
Haron
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

Sorry for many typing errors, as I did it near midnight. I have no idea about ACK, but only KU. Probably you need to negotiate with them, say KD2000, given your many years' experience in teaching and research I guess. Almost all countries in ME consider the basic salary of international academics based on the area of expertise and passport (or more precisely the cost of living in individual countries). The US, Aus and CA normally have the highest salary, followed by the UK, EU and others.

Just want to give you a tiny picture of Kuwait - A taxi from the Airport to the city is KD5 and travel in the city is around KD1-2; buses are cheap for the working class. Local hamburgers are approximately KD3-6. In the city centre and around the coast, the Kuwaiti government has tried to clean up all roads and build up new tourist attractions to promote tourism. However there are still some run-down buildings left after the Iraqi war. Kuwait is a moderate Muslim country, quite modernised and open to foreigners, esp. for the US. It is not that strict unlike KSA, but they need to pray five times a day. In terms of higher education, it seems to be a bit behind KSA, UAE and Qatar even though the average salary is the highest in the region. Hope you could make a good decision.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

If I was a teacher I'd insist on a minimum 90 days holiday like the rest of the profession :-)
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Kuwaitteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, not sure whether my information comes too late but ....

Basic salary KWD 1800 per month - I don't think this is great. I work at a school and the salaries are KD 1500 for top of scale teachers, however in with this is a 50% discount to educate your children.

30 working days annual leave - Speaking from a teacher's perspective, this is very low!

School coverage up to KWD 4000 per year - Depends on the ages of your children and the school you would like them to attend. My school, one of the better schools in Kuwait, fees start from about 2400KD pa in Reception but rise to about 4000KD in the Years 12 & 13. So if your children are older and in the secondary section of school, KD 4000 will not nearly be enough. However, a word of warning - be careful with your choice of schools - I would say there are only really 4 decent British schools in Kuwait.

To rent a decent place in Mishref/Salwa area for your family you are talking about KD 600, so KD 200 isn't great.

Groceries for your family of five will cost about KD 90 - 110 a week (though it also depends on which supermarket you shop at). Food is expensive here as most of it is imported. That said, cars are cheap and so is petrol!

Good luck.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

cux2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Please advise if it is a common practice in Kuwait to sign a contract right after giving a demo lesson?
No concept or summary is provided in advance.

I would also appreciate an update on the American University of the Middle East. Anyone has recently been interviewed or visited their campus?
Old Jan 15th 2014, 11:49 am
Just Joined

bbbbb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wwinit
It depends on the universities and disciplines, i.e. medical, social sciences. For Asst Prof, Assoc Prof and Prof, the monthly basic salaries are roughly KWD 1,500-2,500, 2,500-3,500, and 5,000-12,000, respectively. Please be aware that there is no personal income tax in Kuwait, but the cost of living is a bit high; probably it is similar to London. To be honest, I think you and and your family could survive with that salary and are able to save up some money, but it is up to your lifestyle and other factors. I would suggest you to fly Kuwait City to get a better idea whether it is for you or not. Anyway, try to avoid the American University of the Middle East (AUM), as it has a very bad profile; please see related threads. Good luck.
can you please explain a little bit more about American Univeristy of Middle East.

regards
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Beeee is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any review to share about their recent experience working at AUM ?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

zackzaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beeee
Does anyone have any review to share about their recent experience working at AUM ?
Hi,

Did you join them? if yes, what do you think?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

lemonpie is an unknown quantity at this point

30 days holiday isn't a lot.
Does anybody know anything about the Gulf English School in Kuwait?
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:14 am
Just Joined

samerhaddad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wwinit
could anyone provide me with some feedback about the American University of The Middle East in Kuwiat (AUM). I appreciate any information.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Darren of Arabia is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say if you are interested in saving KD2,250 and above is the magic number. Living in Kuwait can be boring so you will spend money to keep yourself entertained. However it is a very easy life here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.