Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Old Jan 19th 2016, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary expectation for testing and commissioning engineer (rolling stock) in KSA

Originally Posted by Tahir84
Fellow Forum members, I am to formulate my response for salary expectation for yet another role in KSA and I am confused, again! A multinational firm is looking to place rail engineers in Riyadh Metro project.I have been asked to quote either an all inclusive figure per month or a broken down offer i.e. accommodation allowance, relocation etc. I need practical numbers to quote in order for this to progress. I have an idea of base salary which I will be happy with (around 75K which is 20K or so more than current salary). I am struggling to put a value for accommodation, relocation and any other allowance that you experienced folks think should be added to this. I have been asked that they prefer if I quoted a single figure (all inclusive) offer but have given me the option to break down. Your advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Basic is normally around 60% of total. Allowances (Accom and Car) usually make up the remaining 40%. Relocation and repatriation is a one of payment so is additional to the above. Medical etc should be included.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Tahir84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Salary expectation for testing and commissioning engineer (rolling stock) in KSA

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Basic is normally around 60% of total. Allowances (Accom and Car) usually make up the remaining 40%. Relocation and repatriation is a one of payment so is additional to the above. Medical etc should be included.
jam25mack, thanks for responding, much appreciated.
What sort of payment is usually offered or shall I consider asking for relocation/repatriation to and fro UK?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:16 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Railway Jobs in Saudi Arabia

Originally Posted by mikewot
And now they have postponed tendering for phase 2. Oh the times they are a changin'

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...01-26-1.618771

Last edited by mikewot; Jan 26th 2016 at 11:25 am. Reason: Added link
Old Sep 6th 2016, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Popebanku is an unknown quantity at this point

I hail you! Oh wise sages of this forum. This newbie has just been approached via LinkedIn regarding a train driver opportunity in Saudi Arabia with SAR. I'm in the process of sorting out my CV for submission. One question the recruiter asked was:"what are my salary expectations?". This has me stumped! Can any of you kindly help with the answer? I'm currently on £56k with 5years experience. Additionally, I intend to travel solo and leave my family in London so any advice on where to live and rates, etc would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond reputedominoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Popebanku
I hail you! Oh wise sages of this forum. This newbie has just been approached via LinkedIn regarding a train driver opportunity in Saudi Arabia with SAR. I'm in the process of sorting out my CV for submission. One question the recruiter asked was:"what are my salary expectations?". This has me stumped! Can any of you kindly help with the answer? I'm currently on £56k with 5years experience. Additionally, I intend to travel solo and leave my family in London so any advice on where to live and rates, etc would be welcomed.
Sounds like a scam to me. Why would they employ you on £56k + benefits + allowances when they get get someone from a far cheaper Asian country for a fraction of that?

Ask for more details if you like, but be wary. And if they ask for processing fees or any other kind of upfront charge then you know what to do
Old Sep 6th 2016, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dominoman
Sounds like a scam to me. Why would they employ you on £56k + benefits + allowances when they get get someone from a far cheaper Asian country for a fraction of that?

Ask for more details if you like, but be wary. And if they ask for processing fees or any other kind of upfront charge then you know what to do
Thanks for the advice Lord Dominoman 😀. I will keep a lookout for any red flags.
Old Sep 6th 2016, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds legit enough to me. Who is the agent on LinkedIn?

They recruit Western drivers on new projects because they're better trained, then bring in the cheaper ranks once it's up and running and they think the client's not watching, and/or get the Westerners to train them up.

If you're at all concerned, contact SAR direct. Main consortium partner is Serco whose Middle East HQ is in Dubai (Sheikh Zayed Road).
Old Sep 6th 2016, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Standanista
Sounds legit enough to me. Who is the agent on LinkedIn?

They recruit Western drivers on new projects because they're better trained, then bring in the cheaper ranks once it's up and running and they think the client's not watching, and/or get the Westerners to train them up.

If you're at all concerned, contact SAR direct. Main consortium partner is Serco whose Middle East HQ is in Dubai (Sheikh Zayed Road).
Thanks Standanista!
The guy's name is Prashant Nair. I will contact SAR as well.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Bitter Scott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Popebanku
When I was first approached for KSA I thought it was a scam too. Just went along with it, when they set the interview date etc. the stakes got higher and I started taking it more seriously.

In terms of salary. Don't accept a dollar less than what you are worth and what makes you comfortable to move without your family. In addition, do not tell them the same salary as your current gross salary in the UK.

Wish you the best of luck.