British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Query about websites or agencies to apply from.. PLEASE help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/query-about-websites-agencies-apply-please-help-892199/)

DandyGirl Feb 23rd 2017 11:04 am

Query about websites or agencies to apply from.. PLEASE help

Hi Guys

This is my first ever topic on this forum. I am looking for advice and guidance if possible.

I am an implementation Data Analyst I live in London (I am a UK citizen ) willing to relocate to either Qatar or Abu Dhabi. My main issue is I can’t find decent recruiters.

Do you guys have any suggestions on websites or agencies that I can apply from or register with for any none educational or health related jobs?

Your help would be much appreciated.

nottmbantam Feb 27th 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Query about websites or agencies to apply from.. PLEASE help

Hi,
In my Saudi experience, I would say that online applications are not really taken seriously. This may be different for the UAE or Qatar.

Really, the best way of getting hired is through a referral / friends of friends type thing. That's how most recruitment is done. Agencies will only contact you if they are seriously head hunting for a particular role.

I'd advise you to use all the contacts you may have in those places and even possibly visit for a short holiday to start the ball rolling. Do some research through LinkedIn for example to see which companies are recruiting and what type of roles they are recruiting. Expand your network as much as you can. Contacts are going to be key.

Best of luck.

DandyGirl Feb 28th 2017 2:01 pm

nottmbantam Male....Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who can refer me or highlight any opportunities available.

I am hoping for more response of members who have been in same situation or know someone who's has been hired through trusted agencies.

nottmbantam Mar 1st 2017 5:15 am

A couple of well structured job websites I've personally found are the following:

Naukri Gulf
Gulf Talent

Both of these advertise jobs, and allow you to post your CV / profile for any head hunters out there. I guess it's a good starter for 10. AS with any online process, you need to keep constantly updating your profile, even if its only a comma or full stop, as recruiters will only be interested in viewing the most recently 'updated'.

There's also Monster Gulf and Bayt, but especially with Monster, it's open to you receiving all sorts of solicitous emails, so you're probably best avoiding that.

Good Luck.

DandyGirl Mar 6th 2017 1:54 pm

nottmbantam

Thank you for taking the time to reply, it's very much appreciated :)

Bahtatboy Mar 7th 2017 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by DandyGirl (Post 12193050)
nottmbantam Male....Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately I don't have any friends who can refer me or highlight any opportunities available.

I am hoping for more response of members who have been in same situation or know someone who's has been hired through trusted agencies.

Unless you really are that stereotypical IT nerd who doesn't venture outdoors coz the graphics aren't that great, you do have friends (or at least, friends-of-friends, or friends-of-friends-of-friends) who have contacts. Just bombard everyone you know or have ever met with a polite cover letter and a CV, and say you're looking for work in the ME, and ask them to pass your cover letter and CV on to anyone they know. Really, everybody. You just never know who knows who. That was step 1.

Step 2 is scattergun every agency who might possibly have an opening or a client in the region. You might want to focus on those initially which deal in your area of expertise, but don't stop there -- the most you'll have wasted is a couple of minutes of research, and probably slowed my internet connection down from poor to frigging miserable. I forgive you.

Step 3 is apply directly for any jobs advertised.

Step 4 is applying directly to likely employers even if they don't have any vacancies advertised.

Rinse and repeat as required.

Those steps are generally considered to be in order of efficacy, so put the appropriate amount of time into them in the order they appear.

Job hunting can be more time consuming and stressful than actually working, so be prepared to put in the hours.

Good luck.

raffy Mar 16th 2017 5:11 pm

I'm also based in the UK and started hunting about a month ago and I would agree with others:

- Start building networks as soon as you can because there's a lot of weight to be placed on who you know etc. Don't underestimate the power of LinkedIn for this - I've reached out to others who are already doing similar roles in Dubai and have already picked up some good hints and tips. Plus it means you'll have a support network when you actually arrive in the country. Also follow the companies you're interested in on LinkedIn and you may come across vacancies that way.

- If you can get out there for a short visit then do. My husband did so in January and met some useful contacts

- As someone not already living in the country, be prepared to have to put in some serious hours job hunting / networking. Remember there are many people already on the ground who are also looking and possibly have a big advantage over you

- Make sure your CV is absolutely spot on - some of the job sites offer a free consultation to review your CV, I'd recommend using this. Mine came back with suggestions about how to tweak the wording so it demonstrated things I'd achieved rather than a list of things I do (if that makes sense!) Similarly make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date

- If you apply for a job online, remember that you could be one of over a hundred (or more) so after a suitable length of time, don't be afraid to follow up to see how your application is going. It'll show you're keen and hopefully make you stand out (by the way I'm not suggesting stalking the hiring manager...that's not so good!)

- Most of all, keep plugging away and don't be too deterred by knock backs! It won't necessarily be easy but if you want it badly enough it'll happen :)

Best of luck!

Tahir84 Apr 10th 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12192316)
I'd advise you to use all the contacts you may have in those places and even possibly visit for a short holiday to start the ball rolling.

Apologies for hijacking the thread but can you go to Saudi on a visit visa? I agree that online applications for KSA are an waste of time or they have been for me for rail opportunities. I have actively been seeking rail (engineering) opportunities and not been successful (as of yet) and was thinking whether visiting Saudi (and other ME countries) may be an option.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nottmbantam Apr 10th 2017 12:40 pm

You can go to KSA on a visit visa, but need someone already here to sponsor you. If it's not a close family relative, then you might be able to get a business visa - but again, a company has to sponsor your visa. Visit Visa is single use only. Business visa you can get a multiple use, but has to be done at the time of application.

Tahir84 Apr 10th 2017 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12225744)
You can go to KSA on a visit visa, but need someone already here to sponsor you. If it's not a close family relative, then you might be able to get a business visa - but again, a company has to sponsor your visa. Visit Visa is single use only. Business visa you can get a multiple use, but has to be done at the time of application.

my father is a resident (on iqama) there. What does the process involve. Also, what duration you get the visit visa for and what is the fee.

More importantly, once I arrive there, is it just the matter of searching the companies up and drop CVs. I am not sure whether this approach will work as I am looking to get in to Rail/metro engineering jobs.
Hope someone on this forum can share some useful info.

nottmbantam Apr 10th 2017 3:10 pm

Your father will have to apply for a visit visa for you. Should be straightforward due to the father / son connection. If he's working, he can go through his company's Government Relations Dept, who will request one. Once approved, you will then have to process back in the UK through the Saudi Embassy in London. I think max duration is 90 days, as mentioned it is single use only.

TO be honest, I'm not sure your approach will work by just dropping CV's off. I think you're better off contacting the companies first and telling them you will be KSA for xx date to xx date and arrange something before hand.

weasel decentral Apr 11th 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 12225785)
More importantly, once I arrive there, is it just the matter of searching the companies up and drop CVs. I am not sure whether this approach will work as I am looking to get in to Rail/metro engineering jobs.
Hope someone on this forum can share some useful info.

I doubt this will work, at best (if you can actually get into an office) you will make it as far as a secretary or receptionist, who will take your CV from you. It will lie gathering dust for a month before being binned.

At least while you are there you could get to do some sightseeing:lol:

Tahir84 Apr 11th 2017 8:19 am

Originally Posted by nottmbantam (Post 12225903)

TO be honest, I'm not sure your approach will work by just dropping CV's off. I think you're better off contacting the companies first and telling them you will be KSA for xx date to xx date and arrange something before hand.

I didn't think it (i.e. dropping CVs) would work either actually.

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12226453)
At least while you are there you could get to do some sightseeing:lol:

I will leave sightseeing for another country. Right now the focus is getting a job there so exploring all avenues. Online applications have not worked for me so far.

weasel decentral Apr 11th 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Tahir84 (Post 12226534)
I didn't think it (i.e. dropping CVs) would work either actually.

I will leave sightseeing for another country. Right now the focus is getting a job there so exploring all avenues. Online applications have not worked for me so far.

I was joking, there is nothing there to sightsee.

Are you interested in the construction of the rail network or working on it after it is operational. The Metro in Riyadh is still under construction, and the high speed network I presume will open at the end of this year.

Tahir84 Apr 11th 2017 10:18 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12226611)
I was joking, there is nothing there to sightsee.

Are you interested in the construction of the rail network or working on it after it is operational. The Metro in Riyadh is still under construction, and the high speed network I presume will open at the end of this year.

I got the joke, sorry it didn't come across from my response ;)

I am interested in rolling stock roles (i.e. after its operational). I know Riyadh metro is still being constructed but Haramain High speed rail is in operational testing phase and North to South passenger rails have been operational for few years i think however been unable to make right contacts for these 2.