QS Opportunities

Old Aug 21st 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all
Default QS Opportunities

I have been working as a QS for 2 years in the UK and I am currently a senior QS for my company. We are a sub contract internal steel partition company.

However I was recently asked if I was interested in a role working in the Middle East. At first I was very unsure and this came across in the interview and unfortunately I wasn't offered the job. Since then I have done research into working in the Middle East specifically Dubai. When I speak to agencies they ussually disregard me because I am in the UK and not in the ME.

What would be the best way to find a job in the ME?
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

GB1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: QS Opportunities

I do believe you may struggle to get employment in the UAE but especially in Dubai, the majority of the work that is currently being tendered in the UAE is in Abu Dhabi and next to nothing in Dubai.

Also due to the vast numbers of people who are either currently in the UAE jobless or back in there home countries having worked here previously most Employers are requesting Middle East Experience....

Finally with only having 2 years Quantity Surveying Experience (im guessing this is post Degree experience) you will again struggle, you would be coming as a med level QS with that sort of experience which roles are normally taken up by people who would work for a third of the salary of what you would be looking at. As you are working for a Sub-Contractor back in the UK i would be guessing that you would be looking for a similar position here... again most SC's QS's are TCN's and generally work for tiny salaries with the majority of that being sent home to support their familes. you would probably struggle to get employment with any of the larger Main Contractors due to having no large project experience.

Best bet maybe to look at Qatar, seems to be the next place to pick up so if you get in there early then it may be worthwhile, however most companies there also seem to be insistent on ME Experience..... good luck and i hope i havent put you off to much but unfortunately this is reality in this market.
Old Aug 21st 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

I'd much rather you be honest rather than you say the place is full of joy and happiness and I would find a job no problem.

I am willing to move anywhere in the Middle East to be honest. Qatar would definitely be an option. I do currently work for a Sub-Contractor but the jobs are usually £1 million to £4 million in value.

How would the best way to approach working in Qatar?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 12:13 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You could look at Saudi, too. I hate the place, but others survive there (and a few even enjoy).

Search the ME forums for threads on recruitment agents, there are a lot out here. There's also a good number in the UK who recruit for here. There are also a fair number of consultants who might be worth approaching. MonsterGulf is also worth looking at.

I agree with the previous poster's views, particularly in terms of the paucity of work in the UAE (Dubai's dead unless you have good claims experience), and the fact that you have relatively little experience and none of that in the ME. Nevertheless, its not hopeless: get your CV in the best possible shape, get it to everyone you possibly can, and use your network. If you're not on LinkedIn, get on there and network to the max.

Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Do what Bahtat says mate, network and selfishly use every contact / mate / cousin / former boss / mate's mate you can who is here or has been here.

Don't get disheartened if stuff doesn't come along immediately.

BUT remain realistic.

Most employers here want people locally, cheaper to hire and easier to just transfer a visa rather than bring out from UK with all that entails.

Monstergulf
Linkedin
Gulftalent
Bayt

Stretch the search, UAE, Qatar, Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Iraq even?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the advice!

I think it is just a matter of putting my CV out there and getting more experience in the UK!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:00 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manchester_QS

I think it is just a matter of putting my CV out there and getting more experience in the UK!
Not nitpicking, but...

First decide how badly you want it. (Maybe also define what "it" is: to work in the ME, to earn considerably more than you do now, to get specific experience to further your career in a particular direction? Which? It doesn't matter what it is, but you'll be better prepared--literally and mentally--to achieve it if you know what it is.)

Second, its not "just a matter of putting my CV out there". (I stress I'm not nitpicking.) Absorb what Scamp's saying. Finding a new job is usually bloody hard work, possibly harder than the paid work you're doing right now. If you really want it badly, almost every spare minute you have will be taken in trying to get yourself in front of a decision maker, or someone who knows a decision maker. And remember, "just ... a CV" usually isn't good enough: if you're applying for a specific job or to a specific company, your CV needs to be tailored for that job or company. Not invented, tailored: tell the truth in a different way.

As for getting more UK experience: definitely a good idea, but when do you want "it"? Now? If so you've got to play with the cards you've been dealt--it doesn't mean you can't win, it just means you've got to work a bit harder at it. If you really, really want it, you can achieve it.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bahtatboy, I understand you are not nitpicking and I greatly appreciate the help.

'It' for me is to work in the ME, to achieve a better quality of living than I currently have and to explore a different part of the world. And obviously the money and experience is a factor!

When I said 'just a matter of putting my CV out there' I did realise there was more to it than that. I plan on setting up as many meetings as possible over the coming weeks/months and also I currently have a Linkedin profile and need to utilise this better.

Once again thanks for all your input. It is greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:10 am
Hit 16's

Bahtatboy, I understand you are not nitpicking and I greatly appreciate the help.

'It' for me is to work in the ME, to achieve a better quality of living than I currently have and to explore a different part of the world. And obviously the money and experience is a factor!

When I said 'just a matter of putting my CV out there' I did realise there was more to it than that. I plan on setting up as many meetings as possible over the coming weeks/months and also I currently have a Linkedin profile and need to utilise this better.

Once again thanks for all your input. It is greatly appreciated!
Sounds like a plan
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 4:45 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Send a pm to little jimmy, he used to be a QS in Middle East, now in various other places in the world, including Shetland and phnom pen I think? Might be an idea?

And can I just say, $1-4m sounds peanuts to me .
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Change of plan. The interview I went for earlier this week, I have been told I have got the job. I really didn't think I would get it.

Time to panic now haha
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:07 am
Hit 16's

Congrats! Loads of info in various threads on here.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I have my final meeting on Friday to discuss te package in further details. I har a feeling I will be searching this forum a lot tomorrow.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

lilymbula is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats on the job
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

Congrats on the job also.

However I do find it "amusing" when people with only 2 years experience, i.e., very little, get classified as "senior"!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.