Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Qatar Work Visa formalities, processing time

Qatar Work Visa formalities, processing time

Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

tmb2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qatar Work Visa formalities, processing time

Dear all,

I'm new here, and exploring a potential work opportunity in Doha. I read some posts about work visas and RP requirements but was looking for any recent experiences as in, post- energy sector layoffs in Qatar.

For a US citizen moving there for 2-3 years, whats the typical process start to finish? I know the employer sort of handles it all, but what stuff do I need to get ready to speed it up? Once the interview is done and job offered, how long should the rest of it take, 2-3 months? longer?? I've heard it could be upto 6 months - does it depend on type of job/employer, i.e. faster for some professions slower for others? Appreciate any pointers.

Here in the US, we're used to fast turnarounds for almost all business services, even govt.-related stuff, so if this is gonna take forever like 6 months, I'm planning on actually saying no to them. It would be difficult for me to put life on hold for that long. Been to Dubai in the past, found it modern and tourist-friendly, but no experience working or living anywhere else in the mid-east.

TIA!
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Qatar Work Visa formalities, processing time

For you as a principal applicant it is fast. You need to have your blood group certificate ready. First you do your medical, fingerprint and it will take around 2 to 3 weeks to get your RP. Once you get yours you/your employer can apply for the family, which will take another 2-3 weeks unless there is a hump in the way. The potential hump is if there is anything in medical conditions.
Note that my experience is ~2 years old but I don't think these have changed.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

tmb2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qatar Work Visa formalities, processing time

Howdy East West,

Thanks for the info! Good to know its not such a long-drawn out process as I was thinking. This is thru a locally-based headhunter, so I was wondering what could be the potential delays that might slow things down.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens, how fast they respond and keep their side of the deal.

Tom