Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

IT Professional with 11yrs exp in UK looking for a job in GCC

IT Professional with 11yrs exp in UK looking for a job in GCC

Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

sa49873 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Professional with 11yrs exp in UK looking for a job in GCC

Guys,

Apologies in advance as I know this question has been asked quite a few times previously.

I'm a Senior IT Network & Security Professional with 11+ yrs of International experience in Banking and Entertainment industry.

I have been looking for roles in GCC for the past 1 yr without any luck (from UK). I have tried various websites/recruiters, used LinkedIn and have also tried contacting employers directly but unfortunately for some reasons I don't get any replies . I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or do I need to be there for hunting or its just my bad luck.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me in the right direction as how I should be looking. If you think I should visit please advise for how long and when is the best time to come as I know with Ramadan starting next month and school holidays things will be very slow.

Thanking in advance.

Ali....
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Professional with 11yrs exp in UK looking for a job in GCC

Originally Posted by sa49873

Apologies in advance as I know this question has been asked quite a few times previously.
You're right, it has. The advice hasn't changed all that much in the numerous threads.

As for heading over and the time frame to do this, as you realise, with Ramadan and the summer, if you've looked down a few threads, you'd also realise people recommend not bothering coming over till September/August time.

Welcome to BE though and good luck!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 8:42 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Guys,

I'm a Senior IT Network & Security Professional with 11+ yrs of International experience in Banking and Entertainment industry.

I have been looking for roles in GCC for the past 1 yr without any luck (from UK). I have tried various websites/recruiters, used LinkedIn and have also tried contacting employers directly but unfortunately for some reasons I don't get any replies . I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or do I need to be there for hunting or its just my bad luck.

I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me in the right direction as how I should be looking. If you think I should visit please advise for how long and when is the best time to come as I know with Ramadan starting next month and school holidays things will be very slow.

Thanking in advance.

Ali....
I suspect the kind of role you are looking for is usually filled by people from the sub-continent or Africa. Managerial roles are an option, but unless you look at the very big companies I doubt they have someone in that capacity. A lot of the banks and financial institutions bring people in from their respective head offices to do the kind of work you're talking about as well..

How about consultancy? IBM, TCS, Accenture and the like are all represented. Or sales? Cisco, Solarwind, HP etc are here..

And finally I concur with what Bob said..

What is the entertainment industry by the way? Betting?
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

You are not alone mate. I have been looking for a job in the Gulf for ~ 6 months. I've sent more than 50 applications. I got only from only non-Arab employers.
It is a matter of luck.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thank you guys for your feedback.

I work for an on-line ticketing company as European Network & Security Manager.

I have been regularly checking websites of these IT companies and have also created my profile there.

I specializes in the field of Cisco Networks & Security and certified CCNA, CCNP, CCIE , CISSP and ITIL v3.

You think one should have strong connections to get a job there? I have got few friends there but not at senior positions.

rgds,
Ali....
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

pythonista is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a sad world where a CCIE has any kind of trouble finding a job!

I'm in a similar boat, albeit with less experience, but I'm already living in Qatar. I've seen quite a few jobs that I'm very well suited to and have spent hours on each one tailoring my CV to the position etc, but haven't heard a peep.

I find it surprising that places here would prefer to hire Indians/Africans who likely have inferior experience, education and training just so they can pay them 50% (or less?) of what a westerner would expect.

I'm going back to the UK for the summer anyway, going to try job hunting again in September, I'm sure I'll find some temp contract work within days of getting back there!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pythonista

I find it surprising that places here would prefer to hire Indians/Africans who likely have inferior experience, education and training just so they can pay them 50% (or less?) of what a westerner would expect.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Chances are, they do have more experience than you and probably much larger list of qualifications and degrees too.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Chances are, they do have more experience than you and probably much larger list of qualifications and degrees too.
Perhaps I'll apply to be a checkout assistant then
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Perhaps I'll apply to be a checkout assistant then
Think you need to be 12 with a penchant for crushing eggs and loaves of bread at the bottom of the bags to succeed there
Old Jun 16th 2012, 11:16 am
Just Joined

bobxbob is an unknown quantity at this point

IT staff from th sub-continent do tend to have more qualification and certifications, but tend to lack in-depth real world experience. Where I work, the common complaint is that they don't integrate as well as the westerners. At least we Brits will give it a go when it comes to mingling, but the Indians just put their heads down and get on with the job. We can discuss football with the Saudis, places for them to visit in the UK or Europe, Hollywood movies etc...
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:43 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobxbob
IT staff from th sub-continent do tend to have more qualification and certifications, but tend to lack in-depth real world experience. Where I work, the common complaint is that they don't integrate as well as the westerners. At least we Brits will give it a go when it comes to mingling, but the Indians just put their heads down and get on with the job. We can discuss football with the Saudis, places for them to visit in the UK or Europe, Hollywood movies etc...
A lot of my customers have IT staff from the sub-continent, and whilst many have a lot of qualifications they lack real world experience.
The biggest issue (not sure if it is cultural) is that they never use initiative or think 'outside the box'. If its not written down as a procedure then they shy away.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:04 am
Just Joined

It's because in India the education system is all about rote memorisation.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:51 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

It's a sad world where a CCIE has any kind of trouble finding a job!

I'm in a similar boat, albeit with less experience, but I'm already living in Qatar. I've seen quite a few jobs that I'm very well suited to and have spent hours on each one tailoring my CV to the position etc, but haven't heard a peep.

I'm going back to the UK for the summer anyway, going to try job hunting again in September, I'm sure I'll find some temp contract work within days of getting back there!

Try around 20% and you're closer. Salary is about 1/4, flights are cheaper, schooling costs & allowances are cheaper, and the housing costs are cheaper because the employers get away with putting staff into "Indian ghettos" where rents are cheaper.

Why hire 1 western expat who will whinge and bitch and only work 8 hours a day 5 days a week, when you can get 5 TCN for the same cost who will work 10 hours a day 6 days a week? You really will have to argue hard that you are worth more than they are. Usual thing - throw enough people at it and it will work. Hence, not so many JCBs around when there are plenty of men with shovels....
Old Jun 17th 2012, 12:49 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

It's because in India the education system is all about rote memorisation.
Possibly, but don't think that they aren't catching up to us. If you consider your western skills to be vastly superior you are fooling yourself. I have worked with plenty of Indians who are way superior in terms of skills and not to mention work ethics when compared to westerners.

As mentioned by NorthernLad there is really only one thing westerners do better and that is thinking out of the box and bringing innovation to the table. The problem many Indians have is that they are trained to work in environments where they are viewed as just another resource from a huge pool with a quota to deliver. There is very little incentive provided for people to do anything out of the ordinary (hence you see them keeping their heads down and getting on with work). This will change over time though...
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Pythonista,

Do you know any good IT recruiters in Qatar?

thx,
Ali.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.