Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to be a single dad out there?

Is it possible to be a single dad out there?

Old Oct 10th 2018, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Chriss72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible to be a single dad out there?

Hi everyone, first post so please be gentle.

​​​​​I'm an aircraft engineer and have toyed with moving to Dubai or Abu Dhabi for sometime and I think the time is now. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be divorced and single😁😁. The jobs that I have seen advertised over the last few years, mostly include school fees. Are the opportunities for kids education and opportunities second to none and is it even a possibility for me to be a single dad out there?
I'm sure my boys (7 years old) mother won't agree and it'll potentially be another expensive court case, but I want to ensure that he has the best opportunity's that I can give him. I would need to look into maids/childminders/baby sitters for some of the time and also, it's been asked a million times before what is a realistic living budget? There is loads more I need to ask and will do so in different posts.. If you have got this far, thanks for reading.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is it possible to be a single dad out there?

You'd be better off posting this question in one of the ME general discussion forums - this one is mostly about jobs, employers, salaries etc, rather than general possibilities for living.
However, in answer to your questions - yes, it is possible, but you will definitely need to pay for help. You will definitely find that school hours won't match your work hours, so you will need a maid who can drive - and to get a reliable maid, who you would trust with your children for all the hours you are at work, you will want to offer a better than typical salary. It still won't be much by UK standards, but clearly you need to budget for it. Schools here are mostly good enough - better than many run-of-the-mill UK schools, but not as good as the very best. But you are being a bit premature worrying about this detail if you don't yet even have the job - unless you are very lucky, that will take a while, might be tougher than you expect, and jobs you have seen advertised in the past might be offering lower salaries now - lots of sectors are cutting wages, and if they can get a cheaper person from Asia they will do so. Many jobs no longer offer schooling allowance. Start applying for jobs first, and then come back once you are getting offers with packages to see what people here think about it.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible to be a single dad out there?

Yes, very possible to be a single father in the Middle East, lots of people do it.

No, the schools are nowhere near second-to-none. Best case, as the above poster said, is better than an average UK school. But many are also dodgy and well below average, and you will have to choose carefully. Make sure school fees are included in your package.

All of this is cart-before-horse as noted above.