British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Paying for visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/paying-visas-928792/)

DCFizz Oct 24th 2019 12:00 pm

Paying for visas

I have been offered a job in Dubai. To be able to complete the process, I am being asked to stump up the cost of a licence to get reimbursement.

What should I do? I have already paid £400 for a work permit / UAE residency, £800 to get the reimbursement from the bank, and now being asked to pay UAE anti drug people £700 to release the reimbursement.

Millhouse Oct 24th 2019 3:15 pm

Re: Paying for visas

Are you going to be a financial advisor?

weasel decentral Oct 25th 2019 3:34 am

Originally Posted by DCFizz (Post 12753350)
I have been offered a job in Dubai. To be able to complete the process, I am being asked to stump up the cost of a licence to get reimbursement.

What should I do? I have already paid £400 for a work permit / UAE residency, £800 to get the reimbursement from the bank, and now being asked to pay UAE anti drug people £700 to release the reimbursement.

Oh dear. I think throwing away 1200 quid is enough no need to throw another 700 quid away also

spouse of scouse Oct 25th 2019 4:42 am

Originally Posted by DCFizz (Post 12753350)

Please have a good read of this warning, issued by VFS Global (the official visa processing service) https://gulfnews.com/uae/vfs-warns-a....1565082880058

SandyMcSand Oct 25th 2019 6:19 am

Unfortunately, I believe you may have been scammed. In most cases it is the employers responsibility to cover visa costs. All depends on what your job is and form of contract. Hope it works out for you mate.

DCFizz Oct 25th 2019 8:01 am

Hi Sandy,

I have that feeling too.

There are now 4 'agencies' involved. The employer, the travel agents, the bank (Dubai Islamic Bank), and the UAE Anti Drug Law Enforcement Agency (Transfer & Fund Movement Monitoring Unit). I have to admit that I was under the impression that it should be the employer who should do the visas if they want the employee to come out to them.

Still, I live and learn...

SandyMcSand Oct 25th 2019 8:22 am

Is this a permanent job that you’ve applied for? Private or government firm? I would challenge them as to why they’re not covering these costs. Some recruitment firms or manpower agencies use these types of tricks. You think you’re dealing with an adnoc but it turns out to be a sub-contractor or manpower firm....but there is a job in the end.

DCFizz Oct 25th 2019 8:31 am

They got my details from an employment agency called Naukrigulf.

I have been sent a contract but no visas or means to enact this contract.

Standanista Oct 26th 2019 1:49 pm

I hope it works out for you but it sounds like a scam. For the two jobs I've had in this neck of the woods, the employer has picked up all these types of costs.

A mate of mine was keen to come out here to teach languages and had posted his CV on Naukri Gulf. He had an Indian outfit approach him, who were purporting to be acting on behalf of an employer. It was a scam. The only thing at the end of it was that they would present his CV to prospective employers, just the same as he could do himself.

Good luck anyway.

reddiva Oct 27th 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by DCFizz (Post 12753763)
They got my details from an employment agency called Naukrigulf.

I have been sent a contract but no visas or means to enact this contract.

Oh dear! you have been scammed. :-( There was a company last year claiming to work on behalf of my agency. It too was a scam. There are so many about
Never ever part with any money for a job. We recruiters directly bill the client