Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Paying tax/NI contributions

Paying tax/NI contributions

Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

LittleMiss1980 is on a distinguished road
Default Paying tax/NI contributions

Evening all!

I am moving to Dubai in August to work at a school. I was recently told by my friend's husband that if I return to England, even just for a fortnight visit, within a year and a day of going to Dubai I will have to pay the standard rate of tax. Is this correct?

Also, he mentioned that I should continue to pay my NI contributions when away as otherwise I will have to retire later. Does anyone know if this is true?

Many thanks!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying tax/NI contributions

Originally Posted by LittleMiss1980
Evening all!

I am moving to Dubai in August to work at a school. I was recently told by my friend's husband that if I return to England, even just for a fortnight visit, within a year and a day of going to Dubai I will have to pay the standard rate of tax. Is this correct?

Also, he mentioned that I should continue to pay my NI contributions when away as otherwise I will have to retire later. Does anyone know if this is true?

Many thanks!

He's very wrong

Take a look at this updated link from my blog which will give you lots of useful info regarding tax and NI whilst you are non-resident. It should answer your questions, but let me know if you need clarification on anything.

I'm planning on running some seminars aimed at financial planning for British expats after Ramadan so you might want to keep an eye on the blog (or subscribe) to find out when they will be taking place.

http://financialuae.wordpress.com/20...ated-may-2011/

-
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
He's very wrong

Take a look at this updated link from my blog which will give you lots of useful info regarding tax and NI whilst you are non-resident. It should answer your questions, but let me know if you need clarification on anything.

I'm planning on running some seminars aimed at financial planning for British expats after Ramadan so you might want to keep an eye on the blog (or subscribe) to find out when they will be taking place.

http://financialuae.wordpress.com/20...ated-may-2011/

-
I was told that if you shop at Waitrose in the Dubai Mall HMRC will take a dim view as you are in effect creating a link to the UK and you will be subject to tax on earnings on days you consume purchased products under ESC A10.

I'm sure it's a bit of a grey area but to be on the safe side I shop at Lulu. Don't even chance Spinneys these days as they've been known to stock Waitrose soup.

You've been warned.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:28 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
I was told that if you shop at Waitrose in the Dubai Mall HMRC will take a dim view as you are in effect creating a link to the UK and you will be subject to tax on earnings on days you consume purchased products under ESC A10.

I'm sure it's a bit of a grey area but to be on the safe side I shop at Lulu. Don't even chance Spinneys these days as they've been known to stock Waitrose soup.

You've been warned.