Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Package advice, pretty please...

Package advice, pretty please...

Old May 5th 2012, 7:23 am
Just Joined

IndieDarling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Package advice, pretty please...

Hey there!

So, I've been searching the site about cost of living and reading other people's packages...I have to say I'm getting a little concerned.

A bit of info about me:
I'm a single gal who likes to go out, travel, and I am trying to pay off my school loans (minimum 100 BD/month). I'll be moving to Bahrain in the summer.

Basically my package is 800.00 a month
-single, furnished accommodations are provided
-utilities up to 300 BD/year
-summer flight, return
-150 BD baggage
-150 BD settling in allowance
-health insurance
-visa expenses
-free transportation to/from my job

So, can I have a fun time, go out with friends, travel a bit AND pay my loan?

Thanks for your advice!
Old May 5th 2012, 5:03 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Package advice, pretty please...

Originally Posted by IndieDarling
Hey there!

So, I've been searching the site about cost of living and reading other people's packages...I have to say I'm getting a little concerned.

A bit of info about me:
I'm a single gal who likes to go out, travel, and I am trying to pay off my school loans (minimum 100 BD/month). I'll be moving to Bahrain in the summer.

-summer flight, return
-150 BD baggage
-health insurance
-visa expenses

Thanks for your advice!
are you British?
Old May 5th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
are you British?
No, I'm Canadian. When I started searching for information about Bahrain I found this site. Hopefully people won't hold being Canadian against me.

Now, since I answered your question OriginalSunshine, how about answering mine?

Last edited by IndieDarling; May 5th 2012 at 5:54 pm. Reason: wanted longer reply
Old May 6th 2012, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Hey there!

A bit of info about me:

-summer flight, return
-150 BD baggage
-health insurance
-visa expenses

Thanks for your advice!
What do you do? How long is the contract? No annual return flight?

My OH joined me and worked in Bahrain straight out of uni, her basic package was 1120dhs, but total was 1600dhs + medical & annual flight home. We left, but the short while she did work she managed to save up a fair amount compared to a similar position in the UK.

Where is your accommodation and where will you work? Does your accommodation have internet access? Batelco are an awful company to deal with..and overpriced for what you get.. Do they cover travel expenses outside of work hours? Not that taxis are very expensive, but you could easily be spending between 5 and 10 dhs to cross town in a licensed taxi..cheaper in the non licensed. I paid some guy 40dhs and he was my 'on call' driver as it were..ask around, someone will know someone. Walking and public transport is not really existent.

It does sound quite low..but depends what you are doing. I got to know guys who played in one of the millions of cover bands..all Canadians, they weren't paid much but got by and never had to worry about food or accommodation. Going out can be quite expensive..though you could always just go for every 'ladies night' going and cash in your free drink..

Last edited by Paracletus; May 6th 2012 at 3:47 am.
Old May 6th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Hey Paracletus,

To answer your questions, I'm a teacher with a 2 year contract. I'll work is Isa Town, and the school provides transportation to and from work.

There is an annual return flight to Canada. I do get medical too.

The accommodation is a one bedroom either in Umm Al Hassam or right in the heart of Adliya.

I'm not sure about internet access, I'll have to check...but it's good to know which company I defo shouldn't deal with.

Yeah, after reading what other people's packages are like, I'm wondering if I should have negotiated for a higher salary. But, I can always try to after I've shown what I can do my first year.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old May 6th 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hey there!

A bit of info about me:

-summer flight, return
-150 BD baggage
-health insurance
-visa expenses

Thanks for your advice!
Yes, teachers salaries nearly always seem to be crap so you will probably be going out with other teachers who will know where a decent cheap night can be had. As a single girl your food shopping bill will be no more than a couple of hundred a month, less if you like packet noodles, Um al Hassan is handy for getting out into town and you can share taxis with the other teachers. So you are going to have around 500 bucks a month to do with as you wish whether it be partying or saving for holidays.
No idea on utilities as furnished accommodations always used to be inclusive when I lived in them so check out whether 300 a year is enough
Old May 6th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Adliya is also a relatively nice area to live in, I lived right behind the Ramada pretty much..very handy for getting out and about on foot.

but yeah, my utilities were included in the rent..had a decent sized 1 bed flat for 450dhs a month in a new'ish build with a pool and gym and steam room..never used the steam room. check if it has a pool too..very handy in summer..not so useful in winter..water actually gets a bit cold.
Old May 6th 2012, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Tockalosh!

I'm not surprised teachers get paid less, but at least it is possible to save a bit for travel and such. Maybe I'll learn to love noodles?

I'll try and find some teachers to ask about the cost of utilities.

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Yes, teachers salaries nearly always seem to be crap so you will probably be going out with other teachers who will know where a decent cheap night can be had. As a single girl your food shopping bill will be no more than a couple of hundred a month, less if you like packet noodles, Um al Hassan is handy for getting out into town and you can share taxis with the other teachers. So you are going to have around 500 bucks a month to do with as you wish whether it be partying or saving for holidays.
No idea on utilities as furnished accommodations always used to be inclusive when I lived in them so check out whether 300 a year is enough
Old May 6th 2012, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Hey Paracletus,

One of the flats has a small pool and gym. It's in the Umm Al Hassam area.

I'm thinking of asking for a place in that apt...or do you think living in Adliya is better than having a pool/gym?

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Adliya is also a relatively nice area to live in, I lived right behind the Ramada pretty much..very handy for getting out and about on foot.

but yeah, my utilities were included in the rent..had a decent sized 1 bed flat for 450dhs a month in a new'ish build with a pool and gym and steam room..never used the steam room. check if it has a pool too..very handy in summer..not so useful in winter..water actually gets a bit cold.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Paracletus,

One of the flats has a small pool and gym. It's in the Umm Al Hassam area.

I'm thinking of asking for a place in that apt...or do you think living in Adliya is better than having a pool/gym?

Thanks again
Adliya is right in the middle of what was the restaurant area of Bahrain. If its central Adliya then you are minutes walk away from a bar, all of which is good.

However, you wont be going out every night so having a gym and a small pool is handy. Um Al Hassan is 5-15 minutes (traffic dependent) taxi ride from Adliya.

Only downside to UAH is the occassional whiff of poo from the Tubli direction but no one notices it after a while

Given the above I would go for the pool in UAH
Old May 7th 2012, 3:32 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

ID - the reason I ask is because the salary seemed very low, and I wondered if you were being paid/offered a "sub continent" salary based on passport. However, your accommodation is covered, so it's not that bad.
You may want to look around at other GCC countries. Teachers/Lecturers in Oman get the equivalent of around 1000 BD per month, and it's a much nicer country.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks Tockalosh for giving me the down and dirty about the UAH. A pool with a whiff of poo!

I will be joining a gym, but UAH with the pool/gym could be a good way to meet people. I do love going out, dancing, dinner, etc, so Adliya is looking good too. It's a tough choice.

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Adliya is right in the middle of what was the restaurant area of Bahrain. If its central Adliya then you are minutes walk away from a bar, all of which is good.

However, you wont be going out every night so having a gym and a small pool is handy. Um Al Hassan is 5-15 minutes (traffic dependent) taxi ride from Adliya.

Only downside to UAH is the occassional whiff of poo from the Tubli direction but no one notices it after a while

Given the above I would go for the pool in UAH
Old May 8th 2012, 12:23 am
Just Joined

OriginalSunshine, thanks for explaining. I wondered if you were thinking something along those lines...

Oman sounds interesting, but since I already signed a contract it'll have to wait.

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
ID - the reason I ask is because the salary seemed very low, and I wondered if you were being paid/offered a "sub continent" salary based on passport. However, your accommodation is covered, so it's not that bad.
You may want to look around at other GCC countries. Teachers/Lecturers in Oman get the equivalent of around 1000 BD per month, and it's a much nicer country.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:39 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Bahrain from 2004 - 2006, but knew people there teaching for the British Council on less than that even then. The had a good lifestyle, obviously careful with what they spent.

I assume this is one of your first jobs, my advice would be enjoy it for a few years, it's great experience and if you don't like it at least your CV shows worldly experience. Bahrain (at least when we were there, one of my team just left last year to move to Dubai, seems not too much changed since then) was a nice place, different from Dubai but not in a bad way.
Old May 9th 2012, 4:19 am
Just Joined

I've taught for a five years (Mexico, Austria and Northern Canada), but even though so, I think it'll be a great experience.

Thanks for the info NorthernLad!

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
We lived in Bahrain from 2004 - 2006, but knew people there teaching for the British Council on less than that even then. The had a good lifestyle, obviously careful with what they spent.

I assume this is one of your first jobs, my advice would be enjoy it for a few years, it's great experience and if you don't like it at least your CV shows worldly experience. Bahrain (at least when we were there, one of my team just left last year to move to Dubai, seems not too much changed since then) was a nice place, different from Dubai but not in a bad way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.