Oman Salary Question

Old Nov 5th 2015, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Oman Salary Question

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
That £100,000 UK salary is probably worth £150,000 when you factor in the extras you get from a decent UK employer, but probably won't get in the Middle East.

Employer pension contribution?
Performance bonus?
Company car?
45 paid days annual/ statutory hols?
37 hour working week?
Health cover?
Illness cover?
Redundancy cover?
etc.

My last UK employer (public sector) sent all its managers an annual statement illustrating the benefits, which generally worked out about 50% above gross salary.

Then there's UK Child Benefit, and you can minimise Income Tax by paying into a pivate pension.

The Middle East has it's attractions, if you are a risk taker, well educated, experienced in a niche field, and are able to tollerate a lot of hassle and frustration. A lot of UK expats are here for less that a full tax year and leave for various reasons, so face a hefty tax bill on their return to the UK...
I thought you were an accountant type?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
That £100,000 UK salary is probably worth £150,000 when you factor in the extras you get from a decent UK employer, but probably won't get in the Middle East.

Employer pension contribution?
Performance bonus?
Company car?
45 paid days annual/ statutory hols?
37 hour working week?
Health cover?
Illness cover?
Redundancy cover?
etc.

My last UK employer (public sector) sent all its managers an annual statement illustrating the benefits, which generally worked out about 50% above gross salary.

Then there's UK Child Benefit, and you can minimise Income Tax by paying into a pivate pension.

The Middle East has it's attractions, if you are a risk taker, well educated, experienced in a niche field, and are able to tollerate a lot of hassle and frustration. A lot of UK expats are here for less that a full tax year and leave for various reasons, so face a hefty tax bill on their return to the UK...
I agree with you - you can exclude Child Benefit though as he probably wouldn't be eligible to claim it due to new rules.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:50 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I thought you were an accountant type?
The opposite, really. I'm a Civil Engineer, the sworn enemy of the accountant types
Old Nov 5th 2015, 2:06 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
I agree with you - you can exclude Child Benefit though as he probably wouldn't be eligible to claim it due to new rules.
It is possible to get full Child Benefit if the parents' UK taxable earnings are both under £50k. So you could open a private pension, online SIPP or similar, and salt away enough earnings to drop your taxable earnings below £50k, or better still into the 20% tax bracket as well - The potential 40% tax relief is a huge bonus (£6k into a SIPP equates to £10k after tax relief, a 67% instant return, nice).
There's even the scenario where one partner works full-time overseas and pays no UK tax, and the UK based partner is a high earner and uses the SIPP route to pay little or no tax, and they still qualify for full Child Benefit for the UK based kids.
I know several expats in the ME that do just that