Offer Details - Doable?

Old May 9th 2014, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice
Default Offer Details - Doable?

Hi All,

I now have all details around my offer and wanted to get your opinion. I am not looking to confirm if this is in line with my experience/background but want your feedback if it is enough to be comfortable for 3 people. Most important piece, we do not drink so no extra cost there. We will be moving from Toronto, Canada.

1. 16K QAR per month
2. 1,250 QAR Transportation allowance.

Housing provided
Utilities are included up to 600 QAR
Annual return tickets for self and family
40 calendar vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 casual leave days and 4 travel days for annual vacation
21K QAR education alowance starting age 5

I have been told it is take it or leave it, no negotiation.

Wife plans to work but not counting that today. Will this be enough for 3 people. 2 adults and a 1 year old?

Appreciate your help.
Old May 10th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer Details - Doable?

You could do it but i still the basic is light by at least 7K . You will certainly have to watch your cash very very carefully here as the Middle East and Doha is riddled with hidden costs , especially when starting up . Qatar has the highest living costs of all GCC countries.

My second piece of advice is to find out the specifics of your accommodation , which means , type/size and location . Your accommodation is a big constraint here and if it's good and the location is ok you'll be able to have a much better quality of life .

If you're stuck out in Al Wakra or in some rats nest of an apartment in Al Mansoura you'll not last 6 weeks and that's a lot of heartache and bullshit to go through with a young family.

The deal is relative to your personal circumstances but Doha aint Dubai and it's no holiday resort , people come here for work and money . The money makes it worthwhile , to live and work here without the correct renumeration package is crazy in my opinion.

Good Luck

Last edited by co durham boy; May 10th 2014 at 8:38 am.
Old May 10th 2014, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

JerryUK84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
the Middle East and Doha is riddled with hidden costs , especially when starting up .
Hi CDB, what costs are you referring to?

Jerry
Old May 10th 2014, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

What is your qualifications and experience??
Old May 11th 2014, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

shake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really niceshake2000 is just really nice

I am a Senior Project Manager with 10 years of Canadian experience. My educational background is 2 bachelors (Comp Sci and Commerce) with a Masters in Information Systems. All my education is from Canada and major universities (Univ of Toronto). I am a Canadian citizen but originally 'Made' in Pakistan.

Hope this helps. Can you now confirm if 18K QR can be enough? We're not big spenders but are used to a comfortable lifestyle. I agree that it is around 7K short but just curious if anyone might know more.

Thank you again.
Old May 11th 2014, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JerryUK84
Hi CDB, what costs are you referring to?

Jerry
Phones / furniture / utilities deposit / Kharama/Orodoo bills / insurance / vehicle hire / transport / rental increases / agent fees to name a few .

There's no cheap meal ticket here it's an expensive place to live and work , prices are rising as Qatar is a rent based economy . Qatari's want rent , rent for housing and rent for land , no different to the establishment in the UK in that regard and they'll have no qualms about bumping you half way through a tenancy agreement .

Get as much cash in your deal as possible , never sell yourself short here as you can haemorrhage money quite easily .
Old May 11th 2014, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shake2000
I am a Senior Project Manager with 10 years of Canadian experience. My educational background is 2 bachelors (Comp Sci and Commerce) with a Masters in Information Systems. All my education is from Canada and major universities (Univ of Toronto). I am a Canadian citizen but originally 'Made' in Pakistan.

Hope this helps. Can you now confirm if 18K QR can be enough? We're not big spenders but are used to a comfortable lifestyle. I agree that it is around 7K short but just curious if anyone might know more.

Thank you again.
Given your qualifications and experience I would say 18 QAR are low. As whether or not doable I am not sure. If you have furnished accomodation included, transport and insurance covered then you need to spend only on food. For a family of 2 adults and a baby you would not spend more than 5000 QAR on food (excluding eating out).
In the end, the decision is yours. Life here is expensive and you can easily spend money just on things you think they are not costly. A visit to shoe or clothes shop and you will pay easily 1000 QAR.
I hope this helps.
Old May 11th 2014, 8:48 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EastWest
Life here is expensive
How long have you been out here now, couple of months?
Old May 11th 2014, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
How long have you been out here now, couple of months?
I don't need to be here for a couple of months to know whether it is expensive or not. Just one week is enough. To answer your question: I have been here for nearly a month and visted Doha twice before.
Old May 11th 2014, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question: I have been here for nearly a month and visted Doha twice before.
Woo hoo! Loving your expert advice, even before you left UK
Old May 11th 2014, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I get lots of advice about life abroad from people who have never travelled beyond Dover !
Old May 11th 2014, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the feedback.

Being selfish and bringing it back to my question, since you guys have been there for a while, what is your take on it? I welcome warnings and honest feedback. I understand it is not an amazing offer but trying to gauge if it is doable for the short term (1-2 years).

EastWest - I have no setup costs and if so, I believe not so high. I will be put up in Guest accommodation on arrival and then will be provided with a furnished 2/3 bedroom apartment. They are not able to share the exact location but based on what I hear might be in Barwa City. Also, for utilities, they will be arranging for it so no upfront setup costs there either. Medical insurance and rent increases are not my concern either. Vehicle and phone, yes I will need to pay for.

Appreciate your input.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Woo hoo! Loving your expert advice, even before you left UK
Your comment above proved to me that you know nothing about me and you prejudice people. As I've got enough of your silly comments I will not post any advice anymore.
Old May 11th 2014, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Your comment above proved to me that you know nothing about me and you prejudice people. As I've got enough of your silly comments I will not post any advice anymore.
Bless! If you recall I'm not the only one who tweaked your tail about your procrastination and prevarication Chillax you're here now so people will start thinking you know your @rse from your elbow soon
Old May 11th 2014, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

If you recall I'm not the only one who tweaked your tail about your procrastination and prevarication
procrastination and prevarication of what? I can't be like an ostrich and put my head in sand. I was screwed before so I was vey cautious about accepting/rejecting offers in the ME. In the end, it is me and only me who knows my circumstances and what is good or not good for me. If I get screwed I don't think you or anybody else in the forum will take responsibility of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.