Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

Old Oct 18th 2015, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

Originally Posted by Livie.Ganadely
But European families generally treat their nannies as members of the family,
Not in Dubai. They might take them on holiday with them but only so the maid can look after the kids 24/7. Oh and they won't get their own bedroom in the hotel, they get the put you up bed in the kids room.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

Bahrain to Jeddah is a 2 hour flight. You will not get a visa to go to Saudi Arabia. He will have to visit you.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

It was raised with me and now I feel kind of obliged to raise it myself, but I am not comfortable doing so. Anyway here goes nothing.
You are 19 and you been with this guy since you were 16. Your experience of men is (I would venture to suggest) extremely limited, particularly Saudi men who do not consider being economical with the truth to be lying. Did he happen to mention anything about any marriage his parents have set up for him?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

His family almost certainly expect him to marry a local girl in Jeddah. In Saudi society arranged cross-cousin marriage is still extremely common. Very few Saudis marry foreigners. It carries a huge stigma - even if the foreigner is a Muslim.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:48 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Just playing devil's advocate here, because I think you'll find it hard to find a job with a good salary, but I did have a cousin who got a job as a nanny to a member of the royal family in Abu Dhabi, so it's not impossible that you'll find a good job.

However, the cousin did have a lot of experience, which presumably you don't because of your age, so I think you're going to find it tough in the job market. Not impossible, but tough.

Anyway, at your age you have plenty of time to make mistakes and work things out.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Livie.Ganadely is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Bahrain to Jeddah is a 2 hour flight. You will not get a visa to go to Saudi Arabia. He will have to visit you.
that was the plan
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikewot
It was raised with me and now I feel kind of obliged to raise it myself, but I am not comfortable doing so. Anyway here goes nothing.
You are 19 and you been with this guy since you were 16. Your experience of men is (I would venture to suggest) extremely limited, particularly Saudi men who do not consider being economical with the truth to be lying. Did he happen to mention anything about any marriage his parents have set up for him?
I dated before i met him. They were all jerks and he's not. Yes I dated Saudis before. His parents talked to him about marrying him off but he refused and they are just letting it be. They even invited me to Jeddah on a maid visa.
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
His family almost certainly expect him to marry a local girl in Jeddah. In Saudi society arranged cross-cousin marriage is still extremely common. Very few Saudis marry foreigners. It carries a huge stigma - even if the foreigner is a Muslim.
they tried and he refused
Old Oct 18th 2015, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Just playing devil's advocate here, because I think you'll find it hard to find a job with a good salary, but I did have a cousin who got a job as a nanny to a member of the royal family in Abu Dhabi, so it's not impossible that you'll find a good job.

However, the cousin did have a lot of experience, which presumably you don't because of your age, so I think you're going to find it tough in the job market. Not impossible, but tough.

Anyway, at your age you have plenty of time to make mistakes and work things out.
thanks
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ummm.

Shouldn't any family taking on a nanny only use a trained and registered nanny?
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ummm.

Shouldn't any family taking on a nanny only use a trained and registered nanny?
Wouldn't someone who has been raising kids since the time she was 8 have more experience than a "trained and registered nanny"? Experience is better than a qualification
Old Oct 18th 2015, 11:16 pm
`

Originally Posted by Livie.Ganadely
Wouldn't someone who has been raising kids since the time she was 8 have more experience than a "trained and registered nanny"? Experience is better than a qualification
Who is so say the trained , registered and police checked nanny hasn't also had prior extensive experience of family and friends children. Perhaps that is what made the trained person wish to become a nanny in the first place.

I also needed to help with my siblings when I was young. That does not make me a nanny .

You are studying tourism here in New Zealand , not training to be a nanny.

I wish you luck with your job hunt to be near this Saudi lad but I also hope you will pay attention to what else has been written to you.

This lad could have chosen to remain in New Zealand once he finished his study in order to remain with you. The work from study visa option allows for that.

As it is he has heeded his family to return to Jeddah & will likely bow to family wishes.

You are in New Zealand . As you are thinking of going overseas , I am hopeful that you are an NZ citizen which will allow you to return in the event your wishes do not materialise.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Who is so say the trained , registered and police checked nanny hasn't also had prior extensive experience of family and friends children. Perhaps that is what made the trained person wish to become a nanny in the first place.

I also needed to help with my siblings when I was young. That does not make me a nanny .

You are studying tourism here in New Zealand , not training to be a nanny.

I wish you luck with your job hunt to be near this Saudi lad but I also hope you will pay attention to what else has been written to you.

This lad could have chosen to remain in New Zealand once he finished his study in order to remain with you. The work from study visa option allows for that.

As it is he has heeded his family to return to Jeddah & will likely bow to family wishes.

You are in New Zealand . As you are thinking of going overseas , I am hopeful that you are an NZ citizen which will allow you to return in the event your wishes do not materialise.
He left only after his family had pressured him for months, and he had looked for a job and not found anything. I was supporting both of us on $170NZ a week and we couldn't survive on that. he left only because that was his last option.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

For a simple request for employment so that I can be closer to the man i love, I didn't expect such a response. I'm simply doing my best to be close to him, no matter how difficult it is. I'm positive about everything and hoping i will find a job soon, and all i get is negativity.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 12:16 am
`

Look . Just take some care about what you are contemplating here. Affairs of the heart does not give for a level headed mind but no-one would wish to rain on your parade. Just make sure that you have a get out of jail free card .

This lad was a student from overseas whose parents would have been paying international student fees, from what you have written. He would also have needed some form of living allowance unless there were other family members here for him to lodge with. So from what you write did his family withdraw their financial support ? That does not read as their blessing from where I am sat here in New Zealand and I am a bit worried for you . This is care and concern. Not negativity.

It works both ways y'know. If this chap loves you, he will find a way to get back to you too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.