British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/nz-tourism-student-looking-work-dubai-manama-any-work-considered-866734/)

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 3:36 am

NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

Hello,
I am currently finishing my studies in New Zealand and would like to relocate to Dubai or Manama early in 2016, in order to be closer to my fiance who had to return home a few months ago. I am looking for employment as a nanny (or any other available employment).
I am almost 20 and the eldest of 13. I have a lot of experience with children, adore them and always get along well with them. I am patient and understanding and determined to do my best to become a happy addition to any family.
Please feel free to contact me at REDACTED if you would be interested in discussing a position.
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Olivia McKenna

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 10:50 am

re: NZ tourism student looking for work in Dubai/Manama - Any work considered.

In Dubai and the UAE in general maid positions are filled by Asian workers, mainly Philipino and Sri Lankans. Pay is dependant on your passport (as agreed with the embassies) and the top paid are the philipinos who get (I think) 1600 AED a month which is 600 NZ Dollars. (Hiring maid in UAE? Here's what you need to keep in mind - Emirates 24|7). Sometimes food is included. Accommodation is generally in a very small room, often windowless. Your contract may say 1 day off a week but often its 1 or possibly 2 days per month, usually Friday but not all day, you probably will have to make breakfast and wash up before you can leave, then be back to do the dinner dishes. You will not be allowed to stay out overnight. You can expect to work between 12 - 16 hours a day. Locals are notoriously poor at paying salaries on time and in full. Your work includes cooking, cleaning, washing, child care, car washing and sometimes gardening. You are entitled to a return flight home every 2 years, but holidays you take with that (generally a month) is not paid. Healthcare is very basic.

Still tempted?

scot47 Oct 18th 2015 12:04 pm

Mikewot is 100% right. You do not fit the required ethnic profile ! (Unless I am mistaken and you are Filipina or South Asian) AND I am not sure that you could tolerate the conditions. If your fiancé is from Dubai or Bahrain, marry him and go as a dependant. Was he a student in NZ ?

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11774122)
In Dubai and the UAE in general maid positions are filled by Asian workers, mainly Philipino and Sri Lankans. Pay is dependant on your passport (as agreed with the embassies) and the top paid are the philipinos who get (I think) 1600 AED a month which is 600 NZ Dollars. (Hiring maid in UAE? Here's what you need to keep in mind - Emirates 24|7). Sometimes food is included. Accommodation is generally in a very small room, often windowless. Your contract may say 1 day off a week but often its 1 or possibly 2 days per month, usually Friday but not all day, you probably will have to make breakfast and wash up before you can leave, then be back to do the dinner dishes. You will not be allowed to stay out overnight. You can expect to work between 12 - 16 hours a day. Locals are notoriously poor at paying salaries on time and in full. Your work includes cooking, cleaning, washing, child care, car washing and sometimes gardening. You are entitled to a return flight home every 2 years, but holidays you take with that (generally a month) is not paid. Healthcare is very basic.

Still tempted?

This is why I am looking for a European family

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 12:54 pm

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 12:55 pm

My fiance is from Saudi and currently studying in Jeddah. We can't get married for four years until he finishes his studies. I want to come to Bahrain or Dubai in order to be closer to him. He studied in NZ with me for 3 years

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Livie.Ganadely (Post 11774166)

Why do you assume Europeans are any better? I know of only the very odd exception where a European family gives the maid more than a single off.

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 12:57 pm

I was offered 2500 AED a month in Dubai by a jordanian family, but then the wife decided she didn't want me to be a "servant" because of my nationality

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11774169)
Why do you assume Europeans are any better? I know of only the very odd exception where a European family gives the maid more than a single off.

Because I have worked for European families before -_-

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Livie.Ganadely (Post 11774172)
Because I have worked for European families before -_-

in the UAE?

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 11774174)
in the UAE?

no

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Livie.Ganadely (Post 11774168)
My fiance is from Saudi and currently studying in Jeddah. We can't get married for four years until he finishes his studies. I want to come to Bahrain or Dubai in order to be closer to him. He studied in NZ with me for 3 years

OK I am trying to give you realistic expectations of what life is like for domestic staff (which is what you would be employed as here and under that 'legislation', not normal workers legislation). If you get only 1 or 2 off per month and are not allowed out at nights etc. are you going to be better off, from a love life perspective, than being on the other side of the world? At least then he could come and see you for a few days/weeks. In Dubai you would be working almost all the time, so maybe see him a couple of hours a month.

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 1:13 pm

i have applied for other jobs. So i'll keep applying there...and see how it goes

mikewot Oct 18th 2015 1:15 pm

Best of luck! :-) Honestly in the UAE the name 'Domestic Worker'should be changed to what it really is SLAVE!

Livie.Ganadely Oct 18th 2015 1:15 pm

But European families generally treat their nannies as members of the family, so if I find that, I'll take it. I was offered one in bahrain which would only be afternoons 3-6:30pm but the family is still working out details