Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Sacked from job in Qatar - have loans and overdraft - help!

Sacked from job in Qatar - have loans and overdraft - help!

Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

AnxiousQatar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sacked from job in Qatar - have loans and overdraft - help!

What happens if a person gets sacked and can't pay off their loans and credit card?

I have been sacked. I am appealing as they didn't follow their own policies and procedures, and I wasn't guilty of any kind of gross misconduct in any event, so far as I can guess, I just fell foul of some office politics.

But what happens next? I'm guessing I can get someone to take over my car loan repayments if push comes to shove. But I took out a personal loan to pay for a family, well, not quite emergency, but I needed some money and thinking I had a secure job, I took out a personal loan to pay for something. I think I owe about 70-80k riyals for the personal loan, which I would have paid off over the next couple of years, if I hadn't been sacked. I also have a balance of about 45k on my credit card.

I don't have any savings either here or in the UK. I have no way of repaying my debts other than by working in my job, which was on a two year contract and was just about to be made permanent/rolling.

I'm really worried that I have been sacked through no fault of my own, and may end up in prison indefinitely, as I have no other way of repaying these debts.

I was terminated, effectively immediately. But then later another manager said that I could resign and be put on gardening leave for a couple of months and I'd get the end of service gratuity. But that wouldn't be enough to repay the loan and pay off my credit card. And I won't be bullied into resigning. The manager said that if I don't resign, I'll be disciplined and terminated anyway, and I won't get the end of service gratuity. But how can I be disciplined and terminated, when another manager has already sacked me? It's all really shoddy and dodgy.

But what will happen to me?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sacked from job in Qatar - have loans and overdraft - help!

Originally Posted by AnxiousQatar
What happens if a person gets sacked and can't pay off their loans and credit card?

I have been sacked. I am appealing as they didn't follow their own policies and procedures, and I wasn't guilty of any kind of gross misconduct in any event, so far as I can guess, I just fell foul of some office politics.

But what happens next? I'm guessing I can get someone to take over my car loan repayments if push comes to shove. But I took out a personal loan to pay for a family, well, not quite emergency, but I needed some money and thinking I had a secure job, I took out a personal loan to pay for something. I think I owe about 70-80k riyals for the personal loan, which I would have paid off over the next couple of years, if I hadn't been sacked. I also have a balance of about 45k on my credit card.

I don't have any savings either here or in the UK. I have no way of repaying my debts other than by working in my job, which was on a two year contract and was just about to be made permanent/rolling.

I'm really worried that I have been sacked through no fault of my own, and may end up in prison indefinitely, as I have no other way of repaying these debts.

I was terminated, effectively immediately. But then later another manager said that I could resign and be put on gardening leave for a couple of months and I'd get the end of service gratuity. But that wouldn't be enough to repay the loan and pay off my credit card. And I won't be bullied into resigning. The manager said that if I don't resign, I'll be disciplined and terminated anyway, and I won't get the end of service gratuity. But how can I be disciplined and terminated, when another manager has already sacked me? It's all really shoddy and dodgy.

Look through the numerous posts on here about people loosing their jobs - there really isnt any option - you dont pay your debts you go to jail simple as that.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:58 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnxiousQatar

I'd get on the next flight out of town...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Anonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant futureAnonindubai has a brilliant future

What is your chance of getting another job in Qatar? If its good, just resign you are well shot of these people and get as much money as possible from them. I doubt whether you would win in any dispute. If you haven't got much of a chance of getting a new job within the timescale allowed take the previous poster's advice.

Best of luck
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
I'd get on the next flight out of town...
Is this an option? I thought you needed an exit visa for Qatar.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

It frankly amazes me how ordinary people can owe 45K on their credit card.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:59 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Everyone out here is extra-ordinary, so its a pre-requisite....
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

how else are they going to live?

you don't actually expect them to live within their means, surely?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:39 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

it's surprisingly easy... and creeps up on you, especially if you've been studying for a long while. Deposit on a flat, first month's rent, costs involved in finding a job, your car suddenly dies on you... a few hundred quid here, a grand there... then the credit crunch hits and you can no longer bounce your debt from one 0% card to the other, so you start paying interest and can afford to pay off less each month.

Living within your means?! Gosh, I don't think you can last on Tesco Super Saver bread for that long!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:47 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
how else are they going to live?

you don't actually expect them to live within their means, surely?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd get on the next flight out of town..

You cant do that, you need a letter from the employer to leave the country. Sorry
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh what I would give for tesco value range out here....
I am saving like mad in case it all goes sh*t shaped and am living on 230 aed a week consisting of:
1 case of budweiser 99 aed
1 carton Marlboro red 70 aed
2 cartons milk
1 box lulu cheap crappy breakfast cereal
1 lulu curry per day

Hoped to lose some weight on the two bowls of cereal per day diet but lulu currys must be loaded with junk as not lost any yet

Who says you cant live cheap in Abu Dhabi
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:53 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Gosh what I would give for tesco value range out here....
I am saving like mad in case it all goes sh*t shaped and am living on 230 aed a week consisting of:
1 case of budweiser 99 aed
1 carton Marlboro red 70 aed
2 cartons milk
1 box lulu cheap crappy breakfast cereal
1 lulu curry per day

Hoped to lose some weight on the two bowls of cereal per day diet but lulu currys must be loaded with junk as not lost any yet

Who says you cant live cheap in Abu Dhabi
Talk about a life of luxury, spending 75% of your budget on drugs and booze!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

well when in the UAE, do as the expat UAE'ns do and live life to excess. If you only got 230 aed to spend a week then get some fun out it