View Poll Results: How long is your notice period?
One month
42.86%
Three months
39.29%
Six months
10.71%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Notice period - poll

Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:48 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notice period - poll

Wondered what most people have as a notice period here...?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notice period - poll

Interesting topic.

In virtually ALL UK contracts, the employer does not have a right to terminate for convenience, only a right in the event of the employee's default. That prevents employers just ditching people for any old reason; and that is in line with the concept of redundancy, in that its not the employee who is redundant, but the position, and therefore an employer cannot make an employee redundant--just to get rid of him--and then employ someone else to do the same job.

If a UK employer unfairly dismisses someone, there are various remedies open to the courts, including reinstatement (albeit in limited circumstances).

UAE Labour Law, in effect, allows the employer to terminate with one (or three?) months notice for convenience, with maximum compensation for the employee of three months' salary. In practice this gives no security of employment for an employee, and entitlement to compensation equal only to pay for his notice period: very different from the situation in the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

6 months either side. However assuming I remain with the company, that would be flexible depending how quickly I appoint my successor and move on.

If I chose to work for a competitor, I would imagine it would be shortened to suit me and the company. Companies view is that I would use the 6 months to take sensitive information to use at my new employers, which is ridiculous since I would have already taken it before resigning
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:28 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

And how about for all those of us employed by local companies--has anyone succeeded (or even tried) to remove your employer's right to terminate, in effect, at will?

And if you tried but didn't succeed, did you manage to reduce your risk in some other way, eg by negotiating a longer notice period?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

3 months notice period + a clause in my contract that I cannot work for a competitor for 36 yes 36 months after my employment stops..... I wonder how enforceable that would be?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kittycat1
3 months notice period + a clause in my contract that I cannot work for a competitor for 36 yes 36 months after my employment stops..... I wonder how enforceable that would be?
In very simple terms not very. Restrictive covenants/non-competes are incredibly hard to enforce in the UAE. For there to be any chance of it being enforced it would need to be for no more than 12 months and be very specific i.e. moving to a competitor and taking on the same role as you currently perform with your existing employer or the like.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:53 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by kittycat1
That's pants, especially in your industry.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

@ bahtatboy- very good!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Four weeks notice for me.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I once worked for a company that stated that i couldn't work in the industry (telecoms), within Europe for 2 months after i left. I took legal advice before i signed the contract and was told that it was unenforceable, so i signed it. In the event i moved into finance so it wasn't an issue.