Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

NOC / Restrictions on Changing Jobs in the UAE

NOC / Restrictions on Changing Jobs in the UAE

Old Jun 6th 2014, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Benny80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NOC / Restrictions on Changing Jobs in the UAE

Can anyone clarify what are the restrictions on changing jobs within the UAE please?

To give a little background on my situation I have a job offer in Dubai which is decent but the company is a relatively new start up and may not be so stable. It would be reassuring to know how easy it is to switch jobs if it doesn't work out.

If it makes a difference i am a degree holding construction professional currently working in Qatar. To be honest if i had known before coming how restrictive the labour law in Qatar is I would have been much more careful. For my prospective move to UAE I'm trying to be a bit smarter.

Any nuggets of wisdom are much appreciated.
Cheers in advance!
Ben
Old Jun 6th 2014, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOC / Restrictions on Changing Jobs in the UAE

in theory even as a professional on the exempted list you can still get banned if the company decides to not give you a nol etc. very similar here. its not a problem until its a problem.
Old Jun 7th 2014, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
in theory even as a professional on the exempted list you can still get banned if the company decides to not give you a nol etc. very similar here. its not a problem until its a problem.
Thanks for the response busybee. In the UAE Is it the normal or default condition to get a ban? And how common is it for companies to withhold the NOC or NOL please?

In Qatar the system (at least as far as i understand it) goes like this: It is the default condition to require an NOC to switch employers regardless of how long you have worked for. From the people i have spoken with it requires good luck to get an NOC. It seems companies here are cynically profiting from this by to keep their employees from leaving to take up better paying positions.

For me this is the worst thing about Qatar. It's not even that i am someone who regularly flips jobs to get a better deal but just the fact that you know your company own you and you are basically a medieval serf when it comes to rights. The problem is i also like the tax free salary...

Anyway any further thoughts or clarification on restrictions on switching employers in the UAE would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

depends a bit what type of visa you get. Is it Freezone, LLC?
If you are moving between freezones or from LLC to Freezone then no problem. If you are moving between two companies within the same freezone you will probably need an noc or be banned if you leave within the first year (thats the case with DMCC).
Old Jun 13th 2014, 8:57 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benny80
Thanks for the response busybee. In the UAE Is it the normal or default condition to get a ban? And how common is it for companies to withhold the NOC or NOL please?

In Qatar the system (at least as far as i understand it) goes like this: It is the default condition to require an NOC to switch employers regardless of how long you have worked for. From the people i have spoken with it requires good luck to get an NOC. It seems companies here are cynically profiting from this by to keep their employees from leaving to take up better paying positions.

For me this is the worst thing about Qatar. It's not even that i am someone who regularly flips jobs to get a better deal but just the fact that you know your company own you and you are basically a medieval serf when it comes to rights. The problem is i also like the tax free salary...

Anyway any further thoughts or clarification on restrictions on switching employers in the UAE would be appreciated. Thanks!
Oman is the same in that respect. And if you leave the country / your job without getting an NOC or without completing your contract period, you are not allowed to re-enter the country until 2 years have passed.
Old Jun 16th 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

I found this article quite helpful in explaining the UAE system-

http://www.clydeco.com/insight/artic...ility-for-2011

Its a bit complicated but seems to make sense. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been through the process.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 1:56 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Am I banned from working in UAE if I resign after 15 months? | The National

Keren Bobker: Free-zone worker free to go – it’s all down to time served | The National
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Meow big thanks for sharing those articles. I really appreciate it!

It seems the system in UAE is a lot better than Qatar.