British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   A newbie confused - job offer in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/newbie-confused-job-offer-dubai-831091/)

Berindon Apr 12th 2014 8:10 am

A newbie confused - job offer in Dubai

Hi guys,
i been offered a job in Dubai as restaurant manager for a chain which is pretty new and successful. The job has potential to improve and growth in 1 or 2 years and the actual offer is:

Basic + Accommodation Allowance + Car allowance = 16k /month + 40% bonus paid in quarterly

I am going to work for a big group which is also giving me 30% discounts on pretty much everything... and i am coming along with my GF whom also has a job with pretty much the same package. We are at the moment living in London sharing a flat and we are looking to stop sharing in there... our lifestyle is pretty easy: working, living the weekends but we are not heavy alcohol drinkers. We have an healthy lifestyle so gym + sea and sun are attractive.

Ps. I am taking 31k in London now which is roughly 2k GBP a month....The role is similar but with less opportunity to step up compare to the one in Dubai

What do you think? can we live and save some money?

OriginalSunshine Apr 12th 2014 10:48 am

Re: A newbie confused - job offer in Dubai

with both of you working, with no kids, and a combined cash housing allowance, you'll be fine, and will save some money if you're sensible

it's when you start sprogging that costs start rapidly rising

Berindon Apr 12th 2014 10:56 am

ok thanks!
I am just wondering if 2k in UK are the same as 16k in Dubai or i will have some "life improvement"...i mean just the beach and the sun it is a life improvement for me anyway :)

OriginalSunshine Apr 12th 2014 12:34 pm

2k GBP is 12k AED

life improvement is a personal call - it's more expensive in the Gulf. e.g. a 10 quid shirt will not cost 60 AED but 100 AED - I've seen M&S do a "multiply" by 10 on UK prices many times

weather is better. more opportunity to get fit & healthy. more opportunity to drink and eat and get like a fat bloke. it is your call.

Berindon Apr 12th 2014 1:12 pm

So looks like you are not suggesting to accept it. Health is my main value btw and I know there are gyms inside the buldings

OleJanx Apr 12th 2014 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Berindon (Post 11215865)
So looks like you are not suggesting to accept it. Health is my main value btw and I know there are gyms inside the buldings

How come you take a negative view of what Original Sunshine posted? She said that stuff can be more expensive if you buy at Marks and Sparks, but that doesn't mean you can only shop there. You've said that you're not into drinking much, so you won't be blowing your money there. What she posted was mostly that it's up to you to decideed what to do. It might help you to get hold of the Explorer book on Dubai. That covers a great deal of things you might want to find out about.

kittycat1 Apr 12th 2014 2:47 pm

Hi Berindon,

So your 16K covers accommodation and car allowance. Try to make sure most of it is on your basic as your bonus will be based on your basic. Some companies can shaft you with putting more weight on the accommodation and car allowance rather than the basic.

And obviously bonus isn't guaranteed. Make sure the targets are realistic and request a history of the restaurants performance and the targets they are pushing for so you can get an idea if the bonus is achievable.

If you and your gf are both on similar then you'll be fine on a combined income of 30K, if you split up you might struggle though. Also just keep in mind that it is illegal to live in sin here, most people get away with, it but if you were thinking of getting married eventually it might be worth thinking about.

Also check if you are going to be working 5 or 6 days a week and presumably you'll be on some weekend roster of some description, just make sure they are giving you some weekend time off though.

Personally I think if you're used to living in London you'll find living costs on a par.

KC

Berindon Apr 12th 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks KC!!

I guess it is 6 days and once a month 4 days off... The Fact that we cannot live together it is scares me a lot even if they told me that a lot of people does

Berindon Apr 12th 2014 10:06 pm

i don't know guys...as I said sounds a bit annoying that even TAX FREE it won't be an improvement...if the salary compare to UK it is similar but in UK i have transport paid and there just the allowance plus i would live "illegally" (??) with my GF i can't see the point on accepting the offer.

Any more advices? Thanks a lot

OriginalSunshine Apr 13th 2014 3:47 am

Because despite what the papers say, all that glitters is not gold in Dubai. You only get to live the Ranches/Jumeirah semi-rock star lifestyle when your main family income earner is on at least 40k per month (and preferably more), plus everything else on top (housing, schooling, flights, car, medical, etc). A lot of people don't earn that, and live relatively 'ordinary' lifestyles.

You are the one reading negatives into the comments - we are just telling like it is. You should go into this with your eyes open - KC has broke it down a bit further for you. You said "gym + sea and sun are attractive". Only you can decide if the move is worth it for you.

The Dean Apr 13th 2014 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Berindon (Post 11216274)
i don't know guys...as I said sounds a bit annoying that even TAX FREE it won't be an improvement...if the salary compare to UK it is similar but in UK i have transport paid and there just the allowance plus i would live "illegally" (??) with my GF i can't see the point on accepting the offer.

You'll "feel" better off, marginally - but you will also gain from a wonderful overseas living experience, you will be exposed to a multi-cultural environment that makes London look positively one-dimensional, and you will meet people who will become life-long friends. Don't just look at the financial elements - live a bit. Come on - we will throw a drinks party to welcome you............

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 13th 2014 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Berindon (Post 11216114)
Thanks KC!!

I guess it is 6 days and once a month 4 days off... The Fact that we cannot live together it is scares me a lot even if they told me that a lot of people does

Don't guess this. Check it.

I thinks you should go for it.

Meow Apr 13th 2014 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Berindon (Post 11216274)

Whilst income is paid to you tax-free that doesn't mean you don't have any liability. You would need to be out of the UK for a full tax year to be considered UK non-resident for tax purposes.

Many people do co-habit, but it is illegal and that's a risk you choose to take. It's largely fine but upset the wrong people, or get arrested for even something minor then there are consequences. If you are going to do it, get wedding rings and refer to each other as husband and wife.

Kittycat has said that cost of living is broadly comparable to the UK, but do research rents as they are going up and are expensive.

Don't make any assumptions regarding the job. Ask questions now as it isn't so easy just to change job once you are here. Most people who leave a job within 12 months get a six month ban.