New - Looking to relocate

Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

courboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New - Looking to relocate

Hello,

I am new to the forum and looking to move to Dubai. I have 2 years experience trading credit derivatives at a london hedge fund and last year studied a masters in real estate finance, to move sectors. I have since been working at a major property developer in london and would ideally like to work in real estate fund management.

What are the possibilities for this in Dubai, taking into account the recent market? My work experience should be geared towards this as I have a finance background but know about property too.

Also, what are the working hours like compared to the UK? I know they are longer, but how much longer would be typical?

Looks like a thoroughly good forum to gather information from and I hope to be able to post more in the coming weeks.

Regards,
Old Mar 6th 2010, 5:35 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New - Looking to relocate

obviously the current climate here is no going to do you any favours, if you have a job in the UK I would stick with it until things pick up here. The standard working week in accordance with the UAE Labour Law is 48 hrs per week.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. So would you say the problems in Dubai don't look like improving for a while? It's hard to gauge without being there, the UK press tries to knock any sign of recovery but the UAE press (IMO) seems to be extremely bias.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by courboy
Thanks for that. So would you say the problems in Dubai don't look like improving for a while? It's hard to gauge without being there, the UK press tries to knock any sign of recovery but the UAE press (IMO) seems to be extremely bias.
The UAE press extremely bias???

God forbid !!!

FYI: there is no press here, newspapers are part of the government' PR machine.

I second Blue Cat... if you have a good job back home, do not risk it. If you are up to an adventure, you are young, and you want to gamble... come to Doo-bye.

Regarding working hours... I am suppose to do 40 hours per week but in practice I do 50 or more just because everything takes longer here and no body wants to work.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

retail estate fund management is in a mess...i definitely wouldn't consider it as a move at the mo...

MM, xx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably should have posted your enquiry in the ME Job Discussions Forum where you might have got a better response.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

I have 2 years experience trading credit derivatives at a london hedge fund and last year studied a masters in real estate finance, to move sectors. I have since been working at a major property developer in london and would ideally like to work in real estate fund management.
Oh, you'd fit right in. Dealing in artificial derivitives. Ffft...you people.

What are the possibilities for this in Dubai, taking into account the recent market? My work experience should be geared towards this as I have a finance background but know about property too.
Read the latest MEED, it will spell out pretty clearly the state of play in the UAE, you wont get that from any local sources, which as stated earlier are government PR machines.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
You probably should have posted your enquiry in the ME Job Discussions Forum where you might have got a better response.
Moved it for the OP
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Apologies for putting this in the wrong section originally. I will look into what it says on MEED then. It's a shame as I'm really eager to work in Dubai for experience, lifestyle etc and while I'm relatively young, it would be a good opportunity. Shame the markets are messed though!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:38 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for putting this in the wrong section originally. I will look into what it says on MEED then. It's a shame as I'm really eager to work in Dubai for experience, lifestyle etc and while I'm relatively young, it would be a good opportunity. Shame the markets are messed though!
Lets see.....

You traded credit derivatives and then decided to pursue a career in Real Estate...

Yeah, it is a shame the markets are messed up... Pretty sure it was guys like you that caused it....lol
Old Mar 7th 2010, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is still some finance and banking and even real estate activity taking place in Dubai, although obviously nothing like what it was like just 18 months ago. Dubai still functions as a money laundering centre for the region and the survivors now provide financial services for the greater Middle East region that takes in the central Asian 'stans as well.

If you are agressive in your search and strategise carefully through the best recruitment agencies you will probably find openings in fields related to yours. The hours will be long and for someone in your position expect to work between fifty to fifty five hours a week, even up to sixty at a time.

If you are young, single with no ties and no debt, moving to Dubai is not a bad risk to take, but always be prepared to move on if necessary and never accumulate debt under any circumstances.

If you want a young expat hangout, also look into Hong Kong or Singapore.

I should also warn you that while the appeal of being a young expat in a place like Dubai can be alluring from the cold, damp climes of London, there is a lot that London offers which can't be found in Dubai. Culture. Good pubs. Pretty English girls. The English summer when it's not raining.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Lets see.....

You traded credit derivatives and then decided to pursue a career in Real Estate...

Yeah, it is a shame the markets are messed up... Pretty sure it was guys like you that caused it....lol
Actually I left at the height of the market before things went wrong. Decided to go to Cambridge to get a masters in Real Estate and change careers. Financial markets weren't for me and unfortunately the property market tanked at the same time.

It's unfortunate but it's quite a generalists view to say people like me caused the crash. Surely it was the lending practices as much as anything else? Some people in the credit/securitised markets may have been the effect of excess lending, but hedge funds, such as the one I was at, did not originate these products.

I was merely trying to gather peoples opinions from those who are based in Dubai on what prospects in the RE FM sector are at present and Dubai's economy.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

you may be better off trying over here in Singapore. quite a bit more stable than Dubai
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:15 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I left at the height of the market before things went wrong. Decided to go to Cambridge to get a masters in Real Estate and change careers. Financial markets weren't for me and unfortunately the property market tanked at the same time.

It's unfortunate but it's quite a generalists view to say people like me caused the crash. Surely it was the lending practices as much as anything else? Some people in the credit/securitised markets may have been the effect of excess lending, but hedge funds, such as the one I was at, did not originate these products.

I was merely trying to gather peoples opinions from those who are based in Dubai on what prospects in the RE FM sector are at present and Dubai's economy.
I can tell I have touched a sore spot....

I'll leave it.....
Old Mar 11th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Just ignore TGFKASE..he always has a down on people

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.