New job Abu dhabi

Old Mar 12th 2015, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Emma.g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New job Abu dhabi

Hi,

New to this site but have been offered an amazing opportunity in Abu dhabi.
Was wondering has anyone ever worked or known anyone else that has worked for the royal family? Just looking to hear some experiences.

Thanks 😊
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:59 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job Abu dhabi

'Teacher'?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Nurse
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Uhuh. And you get to fly on their private plane everywhere with them, go on the royal yachts etc?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Oh I don't know about that, I didn't ask about that.
I just wanted to know if anyone had ever worked for them before or heard of any experiences?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

I was just curious as to why you said 'have been offered an amazing opportunity in Abu dhab'. What part is amazing, surely you have some idea?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Once in a life time opportunity. I do not personally know anyone who has the privelege of saying that they have worked for a royal family in my profession, hence my reason for asking if anyone has
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Ah OK. I met someone who was the 'teacher' (Nanny) for that family. Went everywhere with them, just like all the staff did. Flew on the royal flights (wiping the kids bottoms), went on the yachts, stayed in the hotels blah blah. Worked the same long hours etc. as all the rest of the servants. But when she was out socially you would think she was a royal in how she treated staff. I really hate/dislike people who treat serving staff poorly, the impression it creates is that they are trying to big themselves up by belittling those type of people. So obviously my view is somewhat coloured (I only met her twice).
I would just be cautious as just because they are 'royal' does not mean you will work less than any of the other household staff. In the UAE it is quite normal for domestic staff to work 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week. With the royals you'll be travelling as well, which tends to cramp your social/love life.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, your the first person I've heard off that's known someone!
Luckily for me I am there for a set purpose and only working several hours of a morning, so the rest of the time is my own, I'd like to think I won't adopt that attitude aswell, definitely something to bear in mind!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Emma.g
Luckily for me I am there for a set purpose and only working several hours of a morning, so the rest of the time is my own,
I would check the contract very closely, especially for woolly phrases like 'attending as required' etc. etc. There are no unions here and with the wasta the people you would be working for have no one is going to be willing to take any 'labour law' dispute.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I know one of the doctors for one of the members of the family. He likes his life and job - but I think he is one of the most senior doctors, and so is treated well (I don't know whether it is different for the nurses or more junior staff). Travels a LOT - basically, where ever the boss goes, the entire team goes (and the boss has a lot of medical staff). Stays in great hotels. Ends up doing a certain amount of community work when overseas - most of the time when travelling, most of the medical staff aren't busy, so they do free clinics when they are in poorer countries. I don't think you could do this job if you had children (he is married, and occasionally his wife is allowed to accompany him). He takes leave when he is allowed it, which is not whenever he fancies (but he does get to take it all - normally...)

I'd check carefully the terms and conditions, but I'd have thought it would be a great job depending upon who exactly you would be working for (and I would definitely advise you NOT to say who that is on any internet site...)