Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

New employer asking for payslip before offer

New employer asking for payslip before offer

Old Jan 26th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default New employer asking for payslip before offer

New possible employer is asking to see payslip of previous employment before making an offer.

I understand why they would want to see it, but is isn't it a bit rich and not very fair to the employee who is always seeking a step up the ladder.

Last edited by Bongoman2; Jan 26th 2014 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New employer asking for payslip before offer

I'm sure something like this was discussed last year; I did a quick search, but couldn’t find it. I know this isn’t very helpful.
I do remember one comment along the lines of stating that your current payslips are company confidential/property, thus you would be breaking your current contract by showing them to third parties. This is a win/win, you don’t get to show them, and it also shows you can be trusted
Old Jan 26th 2014, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

MAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond reputeMAV_DXB has a reputation beyond repute

Look what I found:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=payslip

Okay, 2010, not last year!
Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to supply payslips of my previous employers for a "background check".
However it was after my offer was sent and signed.
I had no problem with that since I didnt inflate any number.

But yes, its weird they ask for it before any offer. It means how much they trust people and how much should you trust them
Old Jan 27th 2014, 3:13 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
New possible employer is asking to see payslip of previous employment before making an offer.

I understand why they would want to see it, but is isn't it a bit rich and not very fair to the employee who is always seeking a step up the ladder.
We always do this, company policy. Whilst moving jobs generally means a pay increase, this stops people taking the piss.

That said, if the person has unique skills they can demand market rate if that is above an offer.

It's all about supply and demand.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Bongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond reputeBongoman2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies and also the link the previous thread.

I'm pretty sure I am going to refuse to send the payslip as I don't think it is a fair way to start negotiations. I also think that there are some benefits that wont show up on payslip like Cellphone, family medical benefits etc.

I do think this is just the new HR being a bit lazy (or maybe default company policy) as it is for a new type of role that has not existed before within the firm. Although I don't want this new role to be tied to the average wages I am on now.

I also don't want to scare the horses and threaten them even giving me an offer. Oh modern workplace relations, ah joy
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:12 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bongoman2
Thanks for the replies and also the link the previous thread.

I'm pretty sure I am going to refuse to send the payslip as I don't think it is a fair way to start negotiations. I also think that there are some benefits that wont show up on payslip like Cellphone, family medical benefits etc.

I do think this is just the new HR being a bit lazy (or maybe default company policy) as it is for a new type of role that has not existed before within the firm. Although I don't want this new role to be tied to the average wages I am on now.

I also don't want to scare the horses and threaten them even giving me an offer. Oh modern workplace relations, ah joy
It certainly doesn't mean you are negotiating on level terms if they know how much you earn now. I would never tell an employer how much I earn. I would give them an idea of how much I expect to be paid though. Of course this is difficult if you are unaware of your worth..

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...-employer.html
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by norsk
It certainly doesn't mean you are negotiating on level terms if they know how much you earn now. I would never tell an employer how much I earn. I would give them an idea of how much I expect to be paid though. Of course this is difficult if you are unaware of your worth..

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...-employer.html
Great link thanks!

"The anchor effect. Once you put a number on the table, the job offer will be pulled down toward it. And you're screwed. It's a timeless game, and employers play it better than job applicants. They play it so well that job applicants defend employers' "right" to screw them"
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just give them.

If they lowball you, you reject it.
If they offer what you want, you accept it.
If they offer more than what you want, accept it.

You know what you earn for your job now, you know what you want to earn for doing that job. If it is not what you want, you reject it. If you get a lower offer than you want but the job is dreamy and the prospects are ACTUALLY good, then you can consider it, weighing up the tangible and intangible.

What they do with your payslips is irrelevant, maybe send them and ask when you're getting an offer?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:59 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never give it. Ask them what is their potential salary range if it's below what you expect then tell them that and be prepared to walk away.

It's completely giving away your negotiating position right from the start.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:03 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Just give them.

If they lowball you, you reject it.
If they offer what you want, you accept it.
If they offer more than what you want, accept it.

You know what you earn for your job now, you know what you want to earn for doing that job. If it is not what you want, you reject it. If you get a lower offer than you want but the job is dreamy and the prospects are ACTUALLY good, then you can consider it, weighing up the tangible and intangible.

What they do with your payslips is irrelevant, maybe send them and ask when you're getting an offer?
If you are desperate for the job go ahead and give it to them. Otherwise tell them to get stuffed. Politely of course...

They should know how much they want to pay you rather than get your current salary and just add 10%. I have never heard of anyone who has declared what they currently get only to be told by the potential employer that they must be underpaid as their offer is 30-40% more..

Asking for payslips is pure laziness and bordering on unprofessional. The more appropriate question would be how much do you want?

Last edited by norsk; Jan 28th 2014 at 6:09 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. Its amazing how this is even an issue.
Seems to be a great divide of opinions.

I always saw it as a privacy issue, and was actually suprised that any company would ask. It came across as lazy, bureaucratic, and put me in a bad negotiating position. All pointers to a bad start with this new firm.

I am amazed that others just see it as, "policy". They are probably the same people who just blindly go along with bad laws and systems because it's the way things have always been done.

I replied back to this firm saying I would not be supplying them my payslip but rather gave them a range that would be suitable. That was accepted and negotiations continue. I'm glad i spoke my piece.

But I dont feel good about the future of employee rights when faceless corporations have their petty policies enacted by unthinking automatons.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by norsk
If you are desperate for the job go ahead and give it to them. Otherwise tell them to get stuffed. Politely of course...

They should know how much they want to pay you rather than get your current salary and just add 10%. I have never heard of anyone who has declared what they currently get only to be told by the potential employer that they must be underpaid as their offer is 30-40% more..

Asking for payslips is pure laziness and bordering on unprofessional. The more appropriate question would be how much do you want?
It's not a fight though. If it's a fight over a few thousand dizzers, is it the job you REALLY want?

I want to know what candidates earn so I know if it is going to be worth my while talking to them and what we can do financially for them. I can pull apart what someone earns and piece it back together and tell them what they want / need.

You'd be amazed what people are willing to tell you without thinking about things properly and thoroughly. Sometimes you end up telling them they need more, sometimes less.

It never ceases to amaze me.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Just give them.
Scamp, you are a recruitment agent right?
Have you ever asked to see a payslip?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 6:28 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I want to know what candidates earn so I know if it is going to be worth my while talking to them and what we can do financially for them.
That's why you should tell them how much the position pays and let them decide, not the other way around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.