British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   NEOM Background Check & Importing a Car (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/neom-background-check-importing-car-943918/)

menaadventure May 10th 2022 2:29 pm

NEOM Background Check & Importing a Car

Hi all!

It’s great to find some information about Neom here, literally the only source of online research! I’m excited about the company and the role, although I’ve heard some horror stories of working like a donkey there!

So I’ve signed the offer letter today, but my background check hasn’t been completed. Given that its been initiated almost a month ago, I’m starting to get worried.
Anyone experienced the same issue? I’ve checked with the HireRight and they say basically there’s nothing I’m more is required from my side. I’ve studied & worked in 6 different countries, could that be the reason, in case they run the criminal records? I wonder :’)

Also, anybody has experience in shipping a car from Dubai to Neom?

Thanks in advance and hope to see you guys there!

Evilbungle May 12th 2022 9:18 am

Re: NEOM Background Check & Importing a Car

No idea about the car but am in a similar position with the background check and I have only worked in two countries, and since the background check started I have got my own criminal record check back so think they are just really slow.

menaadventure May 12th 2022 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Evilbungle (Post 13114188)
No idea about the car but am in a similar position with the background check and I have only worked in two countries, and since the background check started I have got my own criminal record check back so think they are just really slow.

Haha yeah time line is quite crazy. Background check for 1 month, preparing all the other docs for another 1 month (I suspect it’ll even take longer than that, and then visa for couple of weeks again, totaling 3 months after all.

Are you getting your criminal records now to reduce the documents prep time?

Evilbungle May 12th 2022 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by menaadventure (Post 13114198)
Haha yeah time line is quite crazy. Background check for 1 month, preparing all the other docs for another 1 month (I suspect it’ll even take longer than that, and then visa for couple of weeks again, totaling 3 months after all.

Are you getting your criminal records now to reduce the documents prep time?

Yes it is tough as they want me to hand in my notice but I only have 2 month notice and getting everything sorted seems to take at least three so it doesn't work unless I want to be unemployed for a month or two!

I applied for the criminal record check partly to speed up the process as I would already have it when needed and partly just because i was there and it is something i could do - everything else is relying on something being sent through and i wanted to feel like i was being active.

Pkingston May 13th 2022 7:49 am

Why would you resign without getting all your affairs in order first??

menaadventure May 13th 2022 8:25 am

I personally wouldn’t mind having 1-2 months gap in between. It would be a great chance to travel.
So I thought as soon as background check (maybe medical as well, just to make it sure) is finished, resign, do my 1 month, and then travel for a month.
Alternatively I could wait until all the documents are ready, and right before the visa application, resign. Which is gonna be around 2 months + from now on.

I’m inclined for the first option. Chance of failing to gather documents / getting visa rejected should be fairly low, although it seems like a really slow process. Am I being too naive/optimistic?

Evilbungle May 13th 2022 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Pkingston (Post 13114484)
Why would you resign without getting all your affairs in order first??

I wouldn't, but they are definitely pushing me to. They have mentioned it several times so far I am using the length of the process versus my notice period to justify not doing it - I am not really worried about getting the visa but it is a massive risk as it seems to be very inconsistant with timelines.

menaadventure May 13th 2022 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Evilbungle (Post 13114491)
I wouldn't, but they are definitely pushing me to. They have mentioned it several times so far I am using the length of the process versus my notice period to justify not doing it - I am not really worried about getting the visa but it is a massive risk as it seems to be very inconsistant with timelines.

Well, I’d at least wait until the background check, and medical check in case you haven’t been tested same kind recently. With Covid etc., chance of us developing certain unnoticed respiratory illness is higher.

Mynudding May 16th 2023 10:59 pm

I am based in Australia where we have the right-hand drive, hence no point getting my car. Just wondering how the vehicle and fuel prices are around NEOM. Would it be better to buy locally in Saudi or import?

BMH77 May 17th 2023 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mynudding (Post 13193160)
I am based in Australia where we have the right-hand drive, hence no point getting my car. Just wondering how the vehicle and fuel prices are around NEOM. Would it be better to buy locally in Saudi or import?

Good thing waiting on the resignation. You're better waiting until you've signed the offer and you are taking the steps to get the visa. I used got my Neom business visa for through Australia (Capital Link Services) and the agency was great. They had that process down and told me to the day when everything was going to be ready.

As far as the car, there are pool cars, rentals and a couple of WhatsApp and telegram groups for car pools. They are also working on setting up better shuttle system. You may not need one over here. Also, depending on where you live, you might have a hard time getting parking.

As far as fuel, its pretty cheap.

Cheers.