Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need to vent and know if I have a leg to stand on.

Need to vent and know if I have a leg to stand on.

Old Aug 27th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sarahb79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to vent and know if I have a leg to stand on.

Hi All.

So as many of you know I was offered a post at Al Rahba hospital a few months ago. I signed the offer.

The hospital have been pretty picky about everything.

They have now come back and said that they want my service cert from HR to state that I take charge. I spoke to HR a couple of months ago, they won't say I take charge as they say that they are not involved with the running of the ward. Both of my references state that I take charge of the ward but this doesn't appear to be enough.

The hospital are now saying that unless I can get a new service cert then they will withdraw my offer of charge nurse and offer me staff nurse. The wages are about the same but a huge drop in accomodation allowance.

Are they able to do this?

Sorry for long post but head is in a spin and pretty fed up.
Thanks.
Sarah
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to vent and know if I have a leg to stand on.

yep they have to tick their little boxes if they dont have the required stuff then they wont tick them..... unfortunately that is the way of the world over here. can you perhaps give them a reference from somebody saying what they want to hear?
Old Aug 27th 2009, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

as an example, an engineer had a masters degree but in order for the dept of transport to tick their box he needed to have a plain degree, he didnt, no matter how much explanation was given to them saying that a masters degree was the next step up and better they wouldnt go for it and he didnt get approved for the job.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by busybee2
yep they have to tick their little boxes if they dont have the required stuff then they wont tick them..... unfortunately that is the way of the world over here. can you perhaps give them a reference from somebody saying what they want to hear?
My refernces say what they want to hear. This is what is so frustrating.

I don't know what else I can do.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry dont know what else to suggest things run quite differently here in the uae
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

sorry dont know what else to suggest things run quite differently here in the uae
Guess all I can do is chat to the agency I'm going through. Infuriating situation though.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

nope welcome to the middle east....
Old Aug 29th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Busybee i am going to see if i can pull some links with the establishment...your work is even more than the 11 taking the little vial of ashes.

You deserved an mbe...spreading yourself thin and helping us poor soul

May you be blessed.

Cant disturb madam's brunch of smoked salmon omellete so wait till after tea
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by zoukla
Busybee i am going to see if i can pull some links with the establishment...your work is even more than the 11 taking the little vial of ashes.

You deserved an mbe...spreading yourself thin and helping us poor soul

May you be blessed.

Cant disturb madam's brunch of smoked salmon omellete so wait till after tea
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
Hi All.

So as many of you know I was offered a post at Al Rahba hospital a few months ago. I signed the offer.

The hospital have been pretty picky about everything.

They have now come back and said that they want my service cert from HR to state that I take charge. I spoke to HR a couple of months ago, they won't say I take charge as they say that they are not involved with the running of the ward. Both of my references state that I take charge of the ward but this doesn't appear to be enough.

The hospital are now saying that unless I can get a new service cert then they will withdraw my offer of charge nurse and offer me staff nurse. The wages are about the same but a huge drop in accomodation allowance.

Are they able to do this?

Sorry for long post but head is in a spin and pretty fed up.
Thanks.
Sarah
Give them what they want.

Get some letter head paper from your current employer and write a letter to your new employer...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Give them what they want.

Get some letter head paper from your current employer and write a letter to your new employer...
i think she has already said she has done that.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

CAn you simply explain to the agency that under EU legislation, the only references HR/former employers are obliged to pass on is confirmation of position held and length of service? Hence your HR dept saying they can't oblige with "line management" comments/confirmation etc.

I was asked for experience certificates which I didn't have. I did however find a way around it that authenticated/validated my CV and this was enough to "tick their box".

You do seem to be caught in the middle but try to persevere and try explain they are asking for something that isn't available due to laws in your home country.

Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by weescot
CAn you simply explain to the agency that under EU legislation, the only references HR/former employers are obliged to pass on is confirmation of position held and length of service? Hence your HR dept saying they can't oblige with "line management" comments/confirmation etc.

I was asked for experience certificates which I didn't have. I did however find a way around it that authenticated/validated my CV and this was enough to "tick their box".

You do seem to be caught in the middle but try to persevere and try explain they are asking for something that isn't available due to laws in your home country.

Good luck!
I never knew that so will try and see if that is an option, Thanks for that.
Pretty fed up at the moment with it all though.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

i think she has already said she has done that.
No she said the reference said she takes charge.

I'm taking of getting some headed paper and writing a formal letter to them stating that she takes charge maybe with a stamp or something to make it look real authentic. They like stamps here.

I know her HR department won't write it, but she could...
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
No she said the reference said she takes charge.

I'm taking of getting some headed paper and writing a formal letter to them stating that she takes charge maybe with a stamp or something to make it look real authentic. They like stamps here.

I know her HR department won't write it, but she could...
Thats fraud. You'd be well in the pooh if there was a complaint made against you by a patient, or case of negligence investigated. Remember here you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence... they may have tightened up requirements in medial places things since this case recently:

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10325209.html

Last edited by weescot; Sep 3rd 2009 at 9:56 am. Reason: Corrected an assertion with the facts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.