British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Need some advice please - 17 year old getting work in Qatar? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/need-some-advice-please-17-year-old-getting-work-qatar-928681/)

iansmith Oct 19th 2019 9:19 pm

Need some advice please - 17 year old getting work in Qatar?

Hi everyone, I am a British Expat about to move back to Qatar after a few years away. My 17 year old son wants to move out there with me as well, what jobs are available for a 17 year old lad with a UK driving licence, and what sort of salary would he be able to earn, and can anyone recommend any companies that may be able to offer him employment. Thanks very much.

fth Nov 14th 2019 5:06 am

Re: Need some advice please - 17 year old getting work in Qatar?

Originally Posted by iansmith (Post 12751103)
Hi everyone, I am a British Expat about to move back to Qatar after a few years away. My 17 year old son wants to move out there with me as well, what jobs are available for a 17 year old lad with a UK driving licence, and what sort of salary would he be able to earn, and can anyone recommend any companies that may be able to offer him employment. Thanks very much.

Not a huge amount. Most expat jobs here require a degree at bare minimum and jobs which don’t require qualifications are done by people from Asia or Africa at dirt poor rates, even if they require a driving license.

The only one that springs to mind would be the financial advisors who would probably hire anyone with a pulse and a UK accent. Alternatively trying through friends who have their own businesses who need office work done.

HiHo Nov 20th 2019 1:47 pm

One of mine wanted a gap year in the sun too. Sent the lazy sod back to school.

scot47 Nov 23rd 2019 5:09 pm

If he is fluent in Arabic and Urdu as well as Standard English, he might stand a chance.
Some employers in the region might expect young males to have other attributes.

Thairetired2016 Nov 24th 2019 11:11 am

How about getting an education first and then coming to Qatar?

Standanista Nov 25th 2019 1:05 am

A bloke at our place has had his son over on a sabbatical in similar circumstances, doing a one-off project for the experience. He was paid out of his dad's own pocket, which I suspect is the best your son could realistically hope for. Good luck.